Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly, while the MYP is ~0.4 seconds faster than the AB to 60, it is only the same 0.4 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. Both trap at ~114 MPH, so the AB is nearly identical to the Performance after the 0.4 second jump off the line.

Watching various YouTube races, for both the MY and M3, the performance jumps a few car lengths ahead off the line and keeps that lead against the AB. With the 980 motor, I thought it would keep pulling away.
You hit on exactly the reason why I didn't go with the MYP (besides my wife hating the ride quality). There really was no difference that I could see after the initial jump advantage for the MYP. The big hit in range also was a concern.

What I've really seen is that most conditions, the acceleration of the MY LR AB is as good as the MYP. It seems like it is all really locked up from the software perspective for the MYP given the better 980 motor. Maybe Tesla will uncork more power down the road for the MYP once the MachE is shown to be competitive.

At this point I am pretty good with my boosted MY. Even more so since I can't get a 7 seat MYP anyway. I've really grown to appreciate having the extra seats and the seat flexibility more than I thought I would. I greatly appreciate Tesla giving us options like boost for our cars.

Of course not, why would anyone regret that?

Was thinking the same thing. And if there were any "regrets", you could request a refund.

A family friend purchased AB for his MYLR a couple of weeks ago. There's definitely a difference between stock and with AB. But there's also a noticeable difference between the Y w/ AB and the MYP. But if I had purchased the MYLR, I 100% would have bought the AB upgrade.

Anecdotal story. I let a friend drive my MYLR7+AB.. He's and older guy and his hobby is working on his classic cars... he likes front engine, rear drive, convertibles. He also has a Ferrari Maranello (only fun car he owns that doesnt have a drop top). He always lets me drive his cars and he's never driven an electric car before so I told him to take my Tesla for a spin.

He got on the highway, floored it and said "HOLY $#!+" Keep in mind, he never curses so it was funny. Then we went a little ways down the road and he turned around to go home. He accelerated back onto the highway and got it up to 100... he wanted to see when the torque would drop off... this time he was more calm and just said "This is ridiculously fast, the torque is insane". It must have left an impression because I got a text from our mutual acquaintance that night asking about my Tesla, so he'd obviously talked about it to others.

I was in my LR Y with boost behind an identical LR Y (no idea if he had boost) on an on-ramp today, I was being leisurely, and he floored it, I assume.

I was like: DAMMMMMN, is THAT what I look like? It was beautiful.

So I floored it to join him, came up beside him and exchanged a thumbs up.

With or without boost, this car is awesome. But do I regret performance boost?? Heck no!

Reactions: Blorno and Tha_Ape
Anecdotal story. I let a friend drive my MYLR7+AB.. He's and older guy and his hobby is working on his classic cars... he likes front engine, rear drive, convertibles. He also has a Ferrari Maranello (only fun car he owns that doesnt have a drop top). He always lets me drive his cars and he's never driven an electric car before so I told him to take my Tesla for a spin.

He got on the highway, floored it and said "HOLY $#!+" Keep in mind, he never curses so it was funny. Then we went a little ways down the road and he turned around to go home. He accelerated back onto the highway and got it up to 100... he wanted to see when the torque would drop off... this time he was more calm and just said "This is ridiculously fast, the torque is insane". It must have left an impression because I got a text from our mutual acquaintance that night asking about my Tesla, so he'd obviously talked about it to others.
I'm an older guy and a motor head in my youth. Used to race(illegally) most Friday nights in the summer.
When I drove my friends MY I laughed and cursed. I couldn't believe how quick it was! With instant torque which did not let up
2 days later I ordered mine and love it. First modern car I've owned in ages that's fun to drive

I'm an older guy and a motor head in my youth. Used to race(illegally) most Friday nights in the summer.
When I drove my friends MY I laughed and cursed. I couldn't believe how quick it was! With instant torque which did not let up
2 days later I ordered mine and love it. First modern car I've owned in ages that's fun to drive
Boom! What he said!
I test drove one and bought it that day. I, now, drive it daily - best car I've ever owned. I've never felt so chilled in a car in my life. Just get on the freeway, crank the tunes and enjoy. Awesome stuff.

No regrets but my do over might be a MYP. Big wheels make me hesitate. But as the LR MY doesn't qualify for the NJ $5k rebate anymore, I"d have more options. Of course like everything else, you get used to it. Now I feel that chill is dangerously slow. All perception of course.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I know a lot of Grandma's who are impressed by a good Boost!

Forget the FSD. I don't even like the augmented speed control/lane following. Maybe in another three years it will be better - it makes some strange and unsettling decisions. It doesn't pay attention to the "reduce speed" signs (yellow backed signs in California) at all. That's just foolish - it causes corner apexing issues.
I know a lot of Grandmas that drink Boost. I am in the Grandpa Demographic with my LRMY and I have enough trouble getting my wife to keep her eyes open when I accelerate even without the Boost.

Reactions: RichBrowne
I'm probably going to do the same once I get mine. I'm a little annoyed I couldn't include the $2K added to the price of the car so that I can include it in the financing.

I bought AB A 300 miles and have not had a reason to fell like it was a wrong decisio.