Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the boost and returned it. To be honest the car is fast enough, how often do you full throttle the car as is? That should be your answer. I rarely have to push the pedal more than half way even when merging. What I did with the money was invest in a set of coilovers for a more smoother/quieter ride, something that can be swapped out when selling or trading the car.

I clearly know who the biggest AB fan in our house is. It is our young child. They are always wanting to ride in the MY because of the acceleration. We have a faster/quicker car but the noise is an issue for them. In the Tesla it is much easier to hear the giggles too.

I had the boost and returned it. To be honest the car is fast enough, how often do you full throttle the car as is? That should be your answer. I rarely have to push the pedal more than half way even when merging. What I did with the money was invest in a set of coilovers for a more smoother/quieter ride, something that can be swapped out when selling or trading the car.
Which coilovers did you go for and did it make a significant difference?

Well last night just cemented why I like the AB so much. Went out to dinner with 6 people in our MY LR. Coming back we encountered a guy in a pretty modified late model Mustang. He was behind us at a light and we accelerated sprightly (about 50% throttle) and he got on it too. He pulled alongside us at the next light, looked over and nodded. We rolled out pretty easy, he got in it pretty hard. At this point, it was time to floor it. If he wasn't WFO, he clearly was now. He ended up with serious wheelspin and we were gone. Even after he hooked up, we were still pulling him.

Next light, rinse and repeat, but this time we were both ready to go full throttle at the launch. It was a good road to do this as the speed limit was 65 so we didn't have to worry about any tickets as we were out of it before 70. He got a better launch this time but we had several car lengths and still pulling him when we let off. Maybe he would have run us down at higher speeds but no point in risking a ticket and nothing to prove anyway.

We pull up to the next light and he rolls down the window, gives us a thumbs up, and says "That car is no joke. Is it one of the performance ones?" I replied, "It's no joke and it isn't even one of the performance models. We have the whole family in the car. too" I rolled down the back window and he saw the car was completely loaded and everyone waved at him. His jaw dropped. The joys of having a sleeper. No brightly painted red calipers, now wings/spoilers, and even had our trailer hitch on. The guy was really good-natured about it all. Don't plan on making a habit of it but it is definitely fast enough to be fun for a daily driver.

This was awesome! 😄

Well last night just cemented why I like the AB so much. Went out to dinner with 6 people in our MY LR. Coming back we encountered a guy in a pretty modified late model Mustang. He was behind us at a light and we accelerated sprightly (about 50% throttle) and he got on it too. He pulled alongside us at the next light, looked over and nodded. We rolled out pretty easy, he got in it pretty hard. At this point, it was time to floor it. If he wasn't WFO, he clearly was now. He ended up with serious wheelspin and we were gone. Even after he hooked up, we were still pulling him.

Next light, rinse and repeat, but this time we were both ready to go full throttle at the launch. It was a good road to do this as the speed limit was 65 so we didn't have to worry about any tickets as we were out of it before 70. He got a better launch this time but we had several car lengths and still pulling him when we let off. Maybe he would have run us down at higher speeds but no point in risking a ticket and nothing to prove anyway.

We pull up to the next light and he rolls down the window, gives us a thumbs up, and says "That car is no joke. Is it one of the performance ones?" I replied, "It's no joke and it isn't even one of the performance models. We have the whole family in the car. too" I rolled down the back window and he saw the car was completely loaded and everyone waved at him. His jaw dropped. The joys of having a sleeper. No brightly painted red calipers, now wings/spoilers, and even had our trailer hitch on. The guy was really good-natured about it all. Don't plan on making a habit of it but it is definitely fast enough to be fun for a daily driver.

I bought the Boost and would do it again in a heart beat. I have 800 or so miles on the car and have only jumped on it twice. It's just stupid fast.
I have a '64, 427, Ford Galaxie that I spent 20 years building - puts out 600 horse power, 5 speed manual. It's a classic "old school" monster. It's a beautiful car. I used to think it was fast...til I got this Y. This lil guy is one fast mamma jamma! It makes me laugh out loud it's so blasted fast. Do it - you won't regret it. My Y will be lowered once the springs are available. It's funny, I read about people complaining about the ride - why? It's a nice firm ride! I guess I'm just old....
Do you have. PPF on your model y or and ceramic coating. It looks so shiny?

Do you have. PPF on your model y or and ceramic coating. It looks so shiny?
Na, I just have old fashion wax :). I do have protection on the front of the rear fenders. Currently, I'm at 5,000 miles and the paint still looks killar. Here's a shot of it's garage companion - same old fashion shine (that paint job is 15 years old)

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: jpfive
I would say to each their own. From my perspective, they gain little and take away a lot. They are very heavy with is the exact opposite of what you want on a performance car. The 21's didn't buy any benefit that I could notice when driving it.

The rims alone weigh about 32 front and 37 rear. That is likely tying lead weights around your feet and then trying to sprint the 100m dash. Typically most performance car manufacturers put lighter weight wheels on their cars for better performance. All this extra unsprung weight does is handicap the car.

The severe limitations in tire choices was the main issue for me.
Yeah. When I ordered my Y there were only 2 different tires available for the 21" wheels it looks like there are 3 options now but they are still all very expensive high performance summer tires. If there was a good set of all season tires available for the 21" wheels or if they still sold the stealth performance I probably would have ordered it but since they don't I went with the LR.

this is a great thread... have the MY LR and always tempting to go with the AB... haven't done so as yet :) frankly i wont know the difference between 4.8 and 4.1 secs but gets you that "feel"
Yep. You can FEEL it. As you can see from the thread, most don't regret it. I'd pay another $2K for Super AB if they offered it. Will say that others have said their range is not impacted. I'm sure it matters more on HOW you drive it that if you have it. But I have seen a dip in range and I am just over 6K miles. It could be other things too, but I have no doubt the range is impacted for me.

Yep. You can FEEL it. As you can see from the thread, most don't regret it. I'd pay another $2K for Super AB if they offered it. Will say that others have said their range is not impacted. I'm sure it matters more on HOW you drive it that if you have it. But I have seen a dip in range and I am just over 6K miles. It could be other things too, but I have no doubt the range is impacted for me.

The acceleration difference is very noticeable to me. It's just a harder hit, and I can hear and feel the tires clawing the pavement. Also, front motor seems much more involved, and at lower throttle. Eight tenths of a second is a big improvement. As far as range, I think that the AB affects that in proportion to its use. I traded a Model 3 for my MY. On that car, I installed AB so early that I could hardly compare it to before. Like you, my range started heading south at about 6000 miles. I held off getting AB on the MY until I had nearly 10k miles. FWIW range on the MY headed south at 6000 miles even without the AB. I have been so long without AB on the Y that I really noticed the difference when I downloaded it. I'll keep an eye on the range to see if it takes a bigger hit now with the AB. Cheers.

So hopefully my experience can help some here.

Picked up my P on Thursday, sold my SR on Friday.
The SR was so cheap, and its weight, and rwd made it fun.
Couldn't pull the trigger on my early LR reservation because the car just feels boaty. (Probably will not exercise that reservation.)
Would love to drive Y with boost. I do have a LR with 3 rows reserved and am waiting on that one for an Austin car.

PXL_20210806_001335309.MP.jpg

(P arrived thursday, SR left friday, 3 staying... forever?)

LOVED the SR. Almost as fast as LR, lighter, lot less money. Drove it 12k in 5 months, and sold it for $5k more than I paid (and 18k more than Tesla offered) because towing bicycles it was always charging, and I'd like to not stop to charge 2x to get to the Adirondacks. Also, this is such a great road trip car I'd like to take a trip to Moab.

So the P is a beast. I agree with all the comments about wheels and tires, and pushed on this car when it showed up a month early last winter, right in the middle of a polar vortex. I like my 3 acceleration. If boost makes the LR close to that, I'll probably be OK moving to LR with boost.

BTW, Cars now come with bioweapon mode.

ON FSD:
Think you don't need FSD? Ok.
I have FSD on my 3 and missed it on my SRY, but the option depreciates like a stone so not putting it on anything I might not be keeping.
I love FSD, and LOVE the subscription option as I'm likely to use that every summer on the P. $600 a year? SOLD!

Thanks, I guess, for making me to buy the Boost. Great story. I can only imagine how great all of you must have felt.
Why does everyone hate on the Performance tires and suspension. Not much different than a BMW M3 setup if you ask me.
Range. Comfort.
I don't think 'hate' is the right word, but people actually like to have more rubber to cushion the ride.

So far I've been rolling with the boost for about 2k miles. I can't say I'd ever go back to stock now. I had a chance to drive an 2021 MYP today and it is definitely quicker immediately off the line. I know my MYLR7AB seems to be a bit slower initially than other ABs maybe because it is a 7 seater.

Once rolling though (20+ MPH) it definitely felt as quick as the MYP. Didn't get a chance to run Dragy on the MYP but just seat of the pants feel. I have also realized that there are even fewer places I could use the initial launch of the MYP in daily driving and it is more about the acceleration when rolling. Far and away the best add-on/upgrade/mod etc. for my MY LR has been the acceleration boost.

I recently had a Hemi powered rental car. It felt downright slow and I drove it for about 1000 miles and all I could think about was getting back to my MY. It made a lot of noise, pulled pretty hard at certain rpms but never ever remotely approached the instant on acceleration of our Tesla. It might have to drop 3 or 4 gears at any time to really go and then it did go pretty well. I spent more on fuel than I did for the actual car rental over a week.

Driving a Tesla is like having a weapon ready to fire at any time. You are always in the right gear, so you always get the best pull the car has to offer. Never fumbling through a bunch of gears to find the right combo that will get the level of acceleration you want/need. The seamless, intense pull of power is what I find most enjoyable on a daily basis.

Oddly, while the MYP is ~0.4 seconds faster than the AB to 60, it is only the same 0.4 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. Both trap at ~114 MPH, so the AB is nearly identical to the Performance after the 0.4 second jump off the line.

Watching various YouTube races, for both the MY and M3, the performance jumps a few car lengths ahead off the line and keeps that lead against the AB. With the 980 motor, I thought it would keep pulling away.