Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price hike for Tesla super chargers announced yesterday.

Now it comes to that Tesla not releases CCS / CHAdeMO adapter with Model 3 for a reason. Try to force you to use their SC to make a profit ( or in their words to use the profit to build more SCs. What ever).

Unless Elon releases those adapters before their standard battery Model 3 releases, ppl will just use their foot to vote not buying a car which does not have standard charger and forced to pay higher rate on the road for charging.

Now it comes to that Tesla not releases CCS / CHAdeMO adapter with Model 3 for a reason. Try to force you to use their SC to make a profit ( or in their words to use the profit to build more SCs. What ever).
IMO at the $0.31-0.36 / kWh here in California that Superchargers seem to be set at, Tesla is still not making any money overall once you factor in installation, maintenance and demand charges. Frankly, I still think that those prices are competitive. Best comparison would be EVgo pricing - without a monthly they charge $0.20 / minute and you can get around 45 kW so - this would work out to about $0.27 / kWh. But most of their customers are not going to charge at that rate and I'd bet that their average charge to the customer is higher than Tesla's for a significantly lower peak charging rate.

With the price hike for Tesla super chargers announced yesterday.

Unless Elon releases those adapters before their standard battery Model 3 releases, ppl will just use their foot to vote not buying a car which does not have standard charger and forced to pay higher rate on the road for charging.

Few get CHAdeMO rates cheaper than Tesla... It's just not very "Tesla" to not support a way to plug in and charge. Tesla is one of few, if not the only one that allows customers to plug in to a variety of differing methods of chargers... (and plugs.)

I'm lucky enough to get CHAdeMO for free at the office...

Reactions: Kacey Green
Few get CHAdeMO rates cheaper than Tesla... It's just not very "Tesla" to not support a way to plug in and charge. Tesla is one of few, if not the only one that allows customers to plug in to a variety of differing methods of chargers... (and plugs.)

I'm lucky enough to get CHAdeMO for free at the office...

I find non-Supercharger pricing to be all over the map. Sometimes free, sometimes free with paid parking, sometimes a premium over paid parking. Sometimes the rate is similar to the local utility rate, sometimes it is comically high (and of course unused).

I happen to live in a region with a good distribution of CHAdeMO, often without any charge. The adapter would be useful for me, but I do appreciate Tesla's relatively fair and uniform pricing.

Reactions: Kacey Green
IMO at the $0.31-0.36 / kWh here in California that Superchargers seem to be set at, Tesla is still not making any money overall once you factor in installation, maintenance and demand charges. Frankly, I still think that those prices are competitive. Best comparison would be EVgo pricing - without a monthly they charge $0.20 / minute and you can get around 45 kW so - this would work out to about $0.27 / kWh. But most of their customers are not going to charge at that rate and I'd bet that their average charge to the customer is higher than Tesla's for a significantly lower peak charging rate.

myEVRoute charges 16.5 max per charge, if you charge your Model 3 more than 30min on high tier it could be more expensive for SC.

3C448ED8-AFD2-447D-BC36-34204D22D7FB.png

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Honestly, for me it all comes down to having more options. I don't really care how much it costs (within reason), when I am on the road trip and need to charge, anything $30 or below is acceptable, just let me charge! We need CHAdeMO and CCS adapters!

Here is an example: my first road trip in Tesla I get down to Beaver, UT supercharger, one stall is broken, other 3 are occupied, 4 cars waiting. In another 30 miles there is a CHAdeMO/CCS charger that is available, I used it on my prior trip in 2018 LEAF, it could give me sufficient charge in 15 min to make it to my destination, cost from ChargePoint would be around $10 (or about $0.50 per kwh). I would not think twice about paying for CHAdeMO, even though I have 6 months free charging from Tesla. Just let me charge!

... We need CHAdeMO and CCS adapters!

Here is an example: my first road trip in Tesla I get down to Beaver, UT supercharger, one stall is broken, other 3 are occupied, 4 cars waiting. In another 30 miles there is a CHAdeMO/CCS charger that is available, I used it on my prior trip in 2018 LEAF, it could give me sufficient charge in 15 min to make it to my destination, cost from ChargePoint would be around $10 (or about $0.50 per kwh). I would not think twice about paying for CHAdeMO, even though I have 6 months free charging from Tesla. Just let me charge!

Where is the CHAdeMO that's 30 miles south of Beaver? I don't see it on any of my charge map apps.

I haven't made the trip north from SGU for about a month, but my Tesla app is now showing there are 6 stalls at the Beaver SC, up from the previous 4. I have charged at Beaver when only 2 of 4 were operational. Southbound from the Nephi SC all the way to the SGU SC is doable in my Model 3 LR if leaving Nephi with 90% SOC (watch the consumption if using the cabin heat!) Northbound SGU-Nephi is a little dicier because of the elevation change. I like to get a little charge at Beaver when northbound.

I would buy a CHAdeMO adapter if it worked on the 3. There's CHAdeMO at the Maverik at Fillmore. There's also a free CHAdeMO at the Shell station in Panaca NV I would use for heading NW up the west side of Nevada. I've used the free J-1772 there.

Reactions: KJD
I love my Model 3 AWD, but if we don't get CHAdeMO and CCS adapters I'm going to feel like an early adopter who made a bad decision.

I respect Tesla for everything they've done to make EVs something people want to to drive, but the era of Tesla dominance is coming to an end, every manufacturer is coming to the table with competition, VW is claiming the ID will have range on par with the Model 3 at the price point of a Golf and it still has that sporty golf look, Ford has said they are going to make an Electric F-150 (most popular Ford vehicle) and almost every auto manufacturer has plans dor EVs and are far at building vehicles than Tesla. There's only so much lead Tesla has with their batteries and BMS.

So with all of these cars from competitors coming out over the next 5 years, what do they have in common? They are all using standards based charging and eventually these CHAdeMO and CCS networks will be much more advantageous thsn proprietary Superchargers.

I really hope Tesla doesn't make me feel locked in, because this might be my first and last Tesla if that's the case.

Reactions: Limited
In the Midwest, Tesla is the standard. By that I mean they outnumber all other plugs by a WIDE margin, not to mention the charging speeds and locations of chargers. Even though Electrify America is starting to get a fair number of CCS chargers set up, the vast majority of them only have spots for 4 vehicles to charge at a time. Good luck with that once everyone is using CCS. If people are walking away from Tesla over slightly more expensive Supercharging, those folks weren't going to be long term Tesla customers anyway. Those are 2nd Gen used Prius owners that are trying to be as frugal as humanly possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla isnt the standard because nobody is using their plug design; what you meant is that it's the leading network, but that is going to matter a whole lot less in the future.

Make no mistake, this isn't about supercharging prices, it's about choice and I have an email I sent to Tesla back in October as proof. Every auto manufacturer has an incentive to build a charging network and if they are all building CCS, Tesla will have the smaller network over time.

In my case, there are many rural routes in BC that don't have Superchargers, but have provincial (state) CHAdeMO and CCS. I want to use those to go places and I don't want to lobby Tesla to build a supercharger where it doesn't make sense.

Lastly, with tech like this Porsche and BMW unveil EV charger that’s three times faster than Tesla’s do you think waiting for a spot is going to matter much in the future? Not every CCS will operate at these levels, but there will be enough that do. After all, CCS IS the standard after all, even Tesla is doing it in Europe which I'll add, every driver there will better off than us in North America bexsbbe they have choice.

Reactions: KootsChewt and TT97
Tesla isnt the standard because nobody is using their plug design; what you meant is that it's the leading network, but that is going to matter a whole lot less in the future.

Make no mistake, this isn't about supercharging prices, it's about choice and I have an email I sent to Tesla back in October as proof. Every auto manufacturer has an incentive to build a charging network and if they are all building CCS, Tesla will have the smaller network over time.

In my case, there are many rural routes in BC that don't have Superchargers, but have provincial (state) CHAdeMO and CCS. I want to use those to go places and I don't want to lobby Tesla to build a supercharger where it doesn't make sense.

Lastly, with tech like this Porsche and BMW unveil EV charger that’s three times faster than Tesla’s do you think waiting for a spot is going to matter much in the future? Not every CCS will operate at these levels, but there will be enough that do. After all, CCS IS the standard after all, even Tesla is doing it in Europe which I'll add, every driver there will better off than us in North America bexsbbe they have choice.

Hope the government will do something for us. In China, any EV not comply with national GB standard will not qualify for free green license plate. In some state such as SHANGHAI , a ICE license plate could cost as much as 30K US$. So Tesla there started to provide converter cable for their GB standard and Tesla plug, and later on installed two plug one L2 and one L3 with every Tesla car sold there.

I do believe Tesla will do nothing about CCS and Chademo, and force Model 3 owner to use their SCs until one state / province / federal government in US or Canada enforce the standard by any kind of incentives.

Hope the government will do something for us. In China, any EV not comply with national GB standard will not qualify for free green license plate. In some state such as SHANGHAI , a ICE license plate could cost as much as 30K US$. So Tesla there started to provide converter cable for their GB standard and Tesla plug, and later on installed two plug one L2 and one L3 with every Tesla car sold there.

I do believe Tesla will do nothing about CCS and Chademo, and force Model 3 owner to use their SCs until one state / province / federal government in US or Canada enforce the standard by any kind of incentives.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in the U.S. The Federal Government doesn't like get involved and the only state I could see trying that would be California but they wouldn't have any incentive to do so as Tesla has a robust network in California and they are a California based company - it's hard enough to get companies to have major operations in CA, I doubt they will intentionally aggravate one that does. I could also see any agency trying to do that to be sued by Tesla.

Much like VHS/Beta or Blu-ray/HDDVD, it will need to be the market to convince Tesla to switch to CCS.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in the U.S. The Federal Government doesn't like get involved and the only state I could see trying that would be California but they wouldn't have any incentive to do so as Tesla has a robust network in California and they are a California based company - it's hard enough to get companies to have major operations in CA, I doubt they will intentionally aggravate one that does. I could also see any agency trying to do that to be sued by Tesla.

Much like VHS/Beta or Blu-ray/HDDVD, it will need to be the market to convince Tesla to switch to CCS.

What I mean is set condition for tax break or EV incentives, which require their cars to comply. Or any benefit for complied EV, could be as small as HOV lane access.

Sounds like this issue is mainly a southwest Canadien and maybe California issue. Haven't heard of many others in the rest of the country complaining about this.

It's just really odd that the existing adapter hasn't been made/allowed to work yet. It was listed as 'coming soon' a year ago. And they will need a capability soon for Japan. Perhaps the person responsible for it has simply had their hands full getting GB/T and now CCS running...