Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
857BA8FA-3E76-4FD7-9B92-6B904AEAD45F.jpeg

So the question is: do I buy one now and wait until they enable it, or wait until it works and there is a sudden huge demand?

The problem is we don't know if they will make the current 50kW CHAdeMO adapter work with the Model 3 or if they are planning to create a new one that supports higher charge rates, maybe 150kW, that will support the Model 3.

In other words there is no guarantee that the current one will ever work with the Model 3. So I would wait.

The problem is we don't know if they will make the current 50kW CHAdeMO adapter work with the Model 3 or if they are planning to create a new one that supports higher charge rates, maybe 150kW, that will support the Model 3.

In other words there is no guarantee that the current one will ever work with the Model 3. So I would wait.

Or they could be making a CCS adapter for the whole lineup. I doubt they'd make one Frankenstein adapter for both. Looking into a crystal ball it's hard to imagine what would be better right now. I'd be fine with 50kW either way though.

Reactions: Kacey Green
So the question is: do I buy one now and wait until they enable it, or wait until it works and there is a sudden huge demand?
Wait.

Or pickup a used one now and hope. Lots of folks purchased with new car only to find they don’t need them. I got one for ~ $275. Of course, I have an S and haven’t ever used the adapter in 9 months of owning it... so I may put up for sale too :)

Reactions: Kacey Green
Or they could be making a CCS adapter for the whole lineup. I doubt they'd make one Frankenstein adapter for both. Looking into a crystal ball it's hard to imagine what would be better right now. I'd be fine with 50kW either way though.
I really hope they will make a CCS adapter. I think it will be much more useful than Chademo within a year or so. The Electrify America chargers are starting to go online now and most have 7 CCS stations per location. That would be a nice backup for overcrowded Superchargers.