Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with an example of raw data from the CANbus/OBD-II port when driving the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my experience with high power servo motors - low latency is not a big deal, but it's dangerous. Accidental slam on power and you lose control of half megawatt motors connected to the ground.

High acceleration is relatively 'dangerous' full stop (0-60 in 3.2s for P3D). But if you're gonna go that route, then you may as well make the experience as immersive and fun as possible, and sub-50ms latency I think would help achieve that and give a much more natural feel. At least Tesla should have low latency as an option for those who know the risks and are confident in their ability to use the accel pedal safely.

I suspect technical difficulties (e.g: implementing Obstacle aware acceleration, general software lag, and physical restrictions) are more likely to be responsible for the apx. 100-200ms latency we're seeing, rather than safety, though I may be wrong, and you may be right about Tesla artificially adding this lag.

FWIW, the Jaguar i-Pace has a terrible half second lag! Must feel pretty unnatural.

High acceleration is relatively 'dangerous' full stop (0-60 in 3.2s for P3D). But if you're gonna go that route, then you may as well make the experience as immersive and fun as possible, and sub-50ms latency I think would help achieve that and give a much more natural feel. At least Tesla should have low latency as an option for those who know the risks and are confident in their ability to use the accel pedal safely.

I suspect technical difficulties (e.g: implementing Obstacle aware acceleration, general software lag, and physical restrictions) are more likely to be responsible for the apx. 100-200ms latency we're seeing, rather than safety, though I may be wrong, and you may be right about Tesla artificially adding this lag.

FWIW, the Jaguar i-Pace has a terrible half second lag! Must feel pretty unnatural.
Makes sense to test track mode. Also, I would assume that if lag is made for the safety - it would not make much sense to keep it when a car is at speed. So my theory can be tested.

And also, from engineering point of view - if you're standing still and put maximum current instantly - you can destroy a drivetrain very rapidly. Motor can get up to a high speed while all tolerances will be depleting. And that will act like a hammer slamming on a last gear.

You would need to move to direct drive system to decrease lag further. But, honestly, it's already light-years better than ICE cars.

And I very much doubt that any of that is due to the electronics lag.

I meant to say better, not worse. Lag there is intentional - it's an input filter to make it safer. From my experience with high power servo motors - low latency is not a big deal, but it's dangerous. Accidental slam on power and you lose control of half megawatt motors connected to the ground.

Exactly. I think the "lag" is intentional and provided by the traction control system, in order to optimize the delivery of motor torque to the wheels, without harming the drivetrain or shredding the tires.

I have done 0-60 runs with the nannies (ie Obstacle Aware Acceleration, Slip start, etc.) turned off/on and it did not affect my times noticeablely. I will have to do more runs with logging on when I get a chance.