Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 Bait and Switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat and I was very annoyed that I felt I was lied to. Tesla put out a video of its self driving vehicle in October and sales reps really made me think the vehicle I ordered in November would get this functionality when I ordered it. I was also never told that the vehicle would actually have 1/3 less range in the cold weather and that the battery would not charge at the posting charging rates if it was cold and the battery was not in optimal conditions. I was not told that Auto Wipers would not work and auto high beams would also not work not to mention other safety features that are not enabled.

At this point I will wait patiently another few weeks and if in another few weeks these functions are not enabled I will be requesting a refund for the $8000 I pre-paid for features I was not given. Don't get me wrong I like the car but I bought the car because of what they showed me it could do. To date Tesla is pushing there AP 2.0 video's and its on the website showing expected December 2016 and they are touting all the safety features not activated. I guess what I am more upset with is that there is no communication from Tesla and the only information we can find is what is posted on these forums from other members. What would it take for Tesla to send a simple email to all users waiting and give us some update?

I also do not think its fair that those AP 1.0 users waited almost a year in a the past and it should not be an excuse that they waited so new users should also wait. What Tesla needs is some accountability for setting and meeting deadlines. Their customers would be extremely happy if Tesla would start to under promise and strive to over deliver. I personally feel they over promised knowing that they could not deliver but they wanted the Q4 sales numbers so they had their sales reps do what was necessary to meet those sales numbers.
I agree....
During test drive not one mention that the features being shown and paid for would not work when delivered.
I understand that AP is a huge advancement and may have iterations but the auto high beams and wipers and simple cruise control does not seem to be advanced features on a 100k+ vehicle.
It may all be tied to the software but that was never disclosed that none of would work when delivered.

I agree....
During test drive not one mention that the features being shown and paid for would not work when delivered.
I understand that AP is a huge advancement and may have iterations but the auto high beams and wipers and simple cruise control does not seem to be advanced features on a 100k+ vehicle.
It may all be tied to the software but that was never disclosed that none of would work when delivered.

To be fair, I don't think the sales staff knew a few months ago that auto high beams and wipers wouldn't work. It certainly was not obvious. Tesla removed these sensors in favor of using the cameras to perform the same function. I don't believe the sales staff willfully withheld this information; they just didn't know. Which is still a problem; poor internal communication has been a problem for Tesla since the earliest of days.

Last edited:
The relationship with MobileEye (supplier behind HW1) must have turned into a nuclear war overnight... Tesla needs some time to rewrite a whole truckload of software. One this is for sure - engineers are 100% focused on HW2 and HW1 is pretty much ready to be sunset.

Baited yes. Switch - no (not yet?)

Can't deny Tesla has the most successful marketing team since they can get you peeps to drop $100k+ on something with some features that don't work for months. And when it does it starts coming out gradually and slowly. They will arrive though.

Is this not enough warning?

View attachment 209931
WOW! That is what the screen should have looked like. In my build on my AP 2.0 THAT IS NOT THE SCREEN WHEN REVERSING.

I had the camera view in the lower screen, No overlay of the radar, and above was the google browser. The radar overlay was in the center cluster. making one have to look in two different places - don't forget the distractions of the warning chime the passenger door wasn't closed or the rear seat latched.

I agree....
EXACTLY - in fact the opposite occurred, they said those features would be there

This just shows that no one is ever happy with what they have. I thought I was somewhat future proofing my X when I decided to get it with autopilot (even if I didn't think I would really use it). AP2.0 was announced a couple weeks after I took delivery of my X and suddenly made my whole car seem obsolete...even if I had barely even played with AP1.0 yet.

And did those of you who weren't aware of AP2.0 not being initially active miss the original AP2.0 announcement? I thought it was pretty clear that any autopilot functionality wouldn't be immediately available.

C'mon, those of you with AP2.0 have a system that is much more future proof than ours. It will eventually arrive and get better than ours because it is a much more capable suite of harwdare. Just remember that your expectations need to adapt to Tesla time...

I was fully aware of what I was getting into buying the model x. The model x isn't a cheap car, and when it comes to putting this much money down on something, I do my due diligence and research the hell out of the product. Don't know why others wouldn't do the same. I know about the problems and are currently dealing with some of the issues now, but at least I wasn't caught by surprise.

WOW! That is what the screen should have looked like. In my build on my AP 2.0 THAT IS NOT THE SCREEN WHEN REVERSING.

I had the camera view in the lower screen, No overlay of the radar, and above was the google browser. The radar overlay was in the center cluster. making one have to look in two different places - don't forget the distractions of the warning chime the passenger door wasn't closed or the rear seat latched.
Ok. So I must speak up now that I know you are mistaken. I too have AP 2.0. I know for a fact that the view shown above is exactly what is displayed. In addition you have monitoring and visuals that display distance to object behind and in front utilizing the ultrasonic sensors that are working perfectly. Also, when in reverse in addition to the big 17" display with the reverse camera in full HD resolution and half screen of proximity sensor visual ques on distance in inches it also displays on the instrument panel.

I was in the same situation as you. AP 1.0 was the functions I ordered. Tesla upgraded the hardware with AP 2.0 during production of my car. They sent me an email requiring me to acknowledge and select EAP or EAP with Autonomy. They wouldn't enter it into production otherwise. I don't recall if there was an option to decline because I couldn't accept fast enough.

So, let's not blame the tech for your accident because it was there and fully functional with the new ultrasonic sensors. Oh...I forgot to mention the blaring chimes by distance and a huge STOP being displayed when you are within 12" of an object.

I have AP2 and the software update but I've noticed that the blind spot warning doesn't seem to be functioning. While driving in the fast lane the left sensors are going off constantly because of the middle divider however the right sensors don't seem to go off nearly as much even when there are cars next to me. Today I nearly side swiped someone in the right lane and heard zero warning or any sensor warning in the display. Another thing I also noticed is I have a sign in our parking lot space that's a thin post from the floor up to about the hood and got really close to it today with zero indication on the sensor in the front. I will test it again tomorrow.

I'm being patient to and don't mind testing but I'm with others that believe the basic features like blind spot and park assist should already be in the AP2 cars. That would of been nice to have at delivery.

Reactions: oktane
Ok. So I must speak up now that I know you are mistaken. I too have AP 2.0. I know for a fact that the view shown above is exactly what is displayed. In addition you have monitoring and visuals that display distance to object behind and in front utilizing the ultrasonic sensors that are working perfectly. Also, when in reverse in addition to the big 17" display with the reverse camera in full HD resolution and half screen of proximity sensor visual ques on distance in inches it also displays on the instrument panel.

I was in the same situation as you. AP 1.0 was the functions I ordered. Tesla upgraded the hardware with AP 2.0 during production of my car. They sent me an email requiring me to acknowledge and select EAP or EAP with Autonomy. They wouldn't enter it into production otherwise. I don't recall if there was an option to decline because I couldn't accept fast enough.

So, let's not blame the tech for your accident because it was there and fully functional with the new ultrasonic sensors. Oh...I forgot to mention the blaring chimes by distance and a huge STOP being displayed when you are within 12" of an object.

I have AP 2.0 on my X, delivered on 12/15 and I have the exact same screen when I reverse. No matter what apps I'm running when I set to reverse it automatically switches to reverse camera above and blind spot monitor below. My dash also displays blind spot monitor.

I was thinking maybe the OP doesn't have the latest update but he's claimed that he has the light show which means he should have the latest release.