Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 - Lets log our experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a 400 mile+ roundtrip Seattle -- Portland. TACC and Autosteer on AP2 worked flawlessly on the freeways (within known limitations like speed limits, etc.).

Once I got on the freeway, I set TACC to 75 mph and follow distance of 2. The speed limit varies between 60 and 70. I don't remember every touching brake or accelerator, other than when needing to exit for supercharging or couple of times when I had to pass and speed up to 80+.

On the way back, ran into traffic in Portland and this was probably the first time I was happy to see traffic :) Turned on auto steer and it worked perfectly for about 2 miles of traffic with speeds between 0 and 40.

Can't wait for the limits to be removed/extended, so we can use Autosteer and TACC at higher speeds.

Tip: I setup a new vehicle profile with a different seat setting, which I now use when I am going to be using TACC/Autosteer where I am not planning to keep my foot on pedals. This makes it much more relaxing for long drives, though I am still able to get to the pedals very easily if needed.

Edit: Oh, btw, I got my first hole-in-one yesterday. Nothing to do with AP, but I am just telling everyone I talk to :D

Actually, he's not. That misspelling is extremely annoying. The only one that is more irritating is "loose" vs "lose".
As long as you can understand the meaning of what they are trying to convey, I think it's rude and insulting to be correcting people. Do you really go around all the time trying to change people that annoy you?

Here's my one video I took. I haven't the heart to take a video everytime I engage A/S but this was a particularly long one. If you want HD, go to youtube and view it. Sorry about the shaking, I was holding the wheel and looking around and not at my phone.

I see that your tires are a little deflated and that you recently went up a big hill or you were racing someone. :D

I'm guessing both of those observations are due to Chicago COLD weather...

Yes, tires are actually at 46psi after some driving but I do need to add more air (we've seen our share of rollercoaster temps so some air gets out, I also just put on my winter tires and they are new (Tirerack gave them to me at 35psi for some reason).

Also the GIANT mountain of energy was me preheating my car while I got my daughter into her carseat. She was a bit overtired so she fought like a feral raccoon and it took like 15 minutes total to get on the road from our downtown restaurant.

Otherwise I am a lot more efficient. Also, AP seems to use more energy then I would do the same tasks (between 10-15% more). It just isn't as smooth or efficient yet (or maybe ever).

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
One of the issues I have noticed is that if I am in the far left or far right of a lane and I engage auto-pilot, rather than coasting back into the lane for me, it makes a hard right or left turn, which seems too sharp to me so I usually grab to the wheel.

Like:
Cool factor, fun to play with.

Dislike:
Need to keep hand on the wheel or the white light flashes around the dash.

It's winter now in Montreal and the car is constantly dirty.

TACC works flawlessly. However, autosteer really sucks so far. I'm tired of doing slalom within my own lane at 20km/h on dry pavement (no snow, lines are ok) with cars all around in other lanes... it should an easy one for AP... The car/lane is wobbling on the screen all the time.

I figured it may because there's too much dirt obstructing the camera lens? Otherwise... no idea. AP1 never had problems at the same places. Can I improve performance by cleaning the appropriate spots? Thanks for helping.

I posted this on the other thread someone started about "17.5.28" ....so I will apologize ahead of time if I have posted in the wrong thread. This is an account of today's firmware upgrade and my test drive.....

I received my notice to upgrade firmware this morning. Took around 40 minutes. It is 17.5.28. Here is my experience and I hope it is helpful. I will do my best to stick to facts and not "editorialize"..but ...you know ...some opinions or guesses will slip in:rolleyes:!

1. I headed to a freeway that was not too busy where I could drive the "new" 50 mph in the "slow" lane and other drivers would pass me without any problems or in the case of some others... just go the same speed as I -particularly those not comfortable with the weather conditions we encountered.
2. Weather conditions (important I believe): VERY HEAVY rainfall (what a surprise for the Seattle/Puget Sound region!;))
3. Total miles round trip using the 50 mph Autosteer: 38
4. The TACC works flawlessly in all situations I came upon. For my report I have no negative encounters to share.
5. The Autosteer was pretty stable, however there was some "dancing" within the lane from time to time. (see: weather conditions above - I don't know how much that affected the lane movements.) On this 38 miles trip I was able to maintain the 50 mph speed most of the time (I would say 95% of the trip or thereabouts).
6. The most common recurring "problem" was a propensity for the Autosteer to turn on to off ramps (I did not have my signal on-if you were wondering). I had to take control and pull back onto the freeway as I passed every off ramp (with the exception of a few "tests" I describe below). I felt that it was confused by the lane lines. (guessing). On one instance I decided to let it go (there was no one around me) - and autosteer seemed confused as it headed on to the off ramp....then it moved the car back onto the freeway after a few seconds (made me a bit nervous still). So it appeared to correct its mistake. (YES I always kept my hands on the steering wheel) On my 2nd and final off ramp test, I allowed Autosteer to veer onto an off ramp and again it reversed its decision and headed back to the freeway slow lane. On that test I did take control because it was a pretty late decision by Autosteer and if it had been one of those off ramps that had barrels of water to stop out of control drivers.....we may have hit them or come close to hitting them.
7. The other parts of the trip were uneventful and for many of the miles TACC and Autosteer worked well.

Ok. Here is the "editorial" or opinion part I will try and keep separate from what I hope represented facts or factual observation above. I LOVED the few new features 17.5.28 gave us today. I do not expect perfection as we experience this journey (Enhanced Autopilot). Understand that we will be dealt "features" a little bit at a time and it is probably good practice for me as I am NOT a patient person....and can use some practice. I hope we can use Autosteer on other roads soon and/or the 50mph limit is lifted higher. Of course it would also be nice to SOON get lane departure back along with the headlight autodim, rain sensor...and other stuff that was stripped away. I will apologize ahead of time if I incorrectly used any words or phrases (I noticed that has been a hot topic). My intent was to inform or report or just share my perception of today's experience. It was fun to test. I DID NOT try any test of the side collision warning :confused:....that seemed a bit over the top. I hope what I wrote helps.

I posted this on the other thread someone started about "17.5.28" ....so I will apologize ahead of time if I have posted in the wrong thread. This is an account of today's firmware upgrade and my test drive.....

I received my notice to upgrade firmware this morning. Took around 40 minutes. It is 17.5.28. Here is my experience and I hope it is helpful. I will do my best to stick to facts and not "editorialize"..but ...you know ...some opinions or guesses will slip in:rolleyes:!

1. I headed to a freeway that was not too busy where I could drive the "new" 50 mph in the "slow" lane and other drivers would pass me without any problems or in the case of some others... just go the same speed as I -particularly those not comfortable with the weather conditions we encountered.
2. Weather conditions (important I believe): VERY HEAVY rainfall (what a surprise for the Seattle/Puget Sound region!;))
3. Total miles round trip using the 50 mph Autosteer: 38
4. The TACC works flawlessly in all situations I came upon. For my report I have no negative encounters to share.
5. The Autosteer was pretty stable, however there was some "dancing" within the lane from time to time. (see: weather conditions above - I don't know how much that affected the lane movements.) On this 38 miles trip I was able to maintain the 50 mph speed most of the time (I would say 95% of the trip or thereabouts).
6. The most common recurring "problem" was a propensity for the Autosteer to turn on to off ramps (I did not have my signal on-if you were wondering). I had to take control and pull back onto the freeway as I passed every off ramp (with the exception of a few "tests" I describe below). I felt that it was confused by the lane lines. (guessing). On one instance I decided to let it go (there was no one around me) - and autosteer seemed confused as it headed on to the off ramp....then it moved the car back onto the freeway after a few seconds (made me a bit nervous still). So it appeared to correct its mistake. (YES I always kept my hands on the steering wheel) On my 2nd and final off ramp test, I allowed Autosteer to veer onto an off ramp and again it reversed its decision and headed back to the freeway slow lane. On that test I did take control because it was a pretty late decision by Autosteer and if it had been one of those off ramps that had barrels of water to stop out of control drivers.....we may have hit them or come close to hitting them.
7. The other parts of the trip were uneventful and for many of the miles TACC and Autosteer worked well.

Ok. Here is the "editorial" or opinion part I will try and keep separate from what I hope represented facts or factual observation above. I LOVED the few new features 17.5.28 gave us today. I do not expect perfection as we experience this journey (Enhanced Autopilot). Understand that we will be dealt "features" a little bit at a time and it is probably good practice for me as I am NOT a patient person....and can use some practice. I hope we can use Autosteer on other roads soon and/or the 50mph limit is lifted higher. Of course it would also be nice to SOON get lane departure back along with the headlight autodim, rain sensor...and other stuff that was stripped away. I will apologize ahead of time if I incorrectly used any words or phrases (I noticed that has been a hot topic). My intent was to inform or report or just share my perception of today's experience. It was fun to test. I DID NOT try any test of the side collision warning :confused:....that seemed a bit over the top. I hope what I wrote helps.

Awesome, thanks for the update. I have had the same exact experiences with autosteer, and on the .28 firmware. I stopped using it in the slow lane, because it seems to always want to exit the off ramp. So due to the speed limits on autosteer, you can really only use it in stop and go traffic. I did test the 50 mph today on the freeway in the slow lane, bounced around just like yours did. I will test tomorrow if having nav on would fix that.

But my experiences in stop and go traffic have been pretty good. There is a big issue with someone moving over into your lane slowly. When the car is almost half way into your lane AP doesn't slow down, keeps accelerating. Once the car is about 3/4 into your lane your car will pick it up and slow down but it could happen way too late and too close for comfort.

Had a cop ride along the shoulder next to my car for a 1/2 mile while I had Autosteer engaged. The car kept freaking out but also did not disengage Autosteer. Eventually it threw up a FCW and slowed (but not haltingly) when cop pulled in front of me and cut me off (I hit the brakes because I did not feel the car would stop soon enough to avoid a collision).

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9
I posted these pics on the other thread that just turned into an argument, so hoping this one stays informative though that would be an exception at TMC.

Scenario 1

full

Driving down a flat, straight, 35 mph road.

Liked - Autosteer was just about perfect, handling the minor corrections with no problems, no wandering in the lane.

Disliked - Besides wanting to go faster than 35 as most people go close to 40 on the road, no dislikes.

Scenario 2

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,6_vkWrwbqvdcwkXSwUZqn8ovF2WFSd7gKQcI_11LSPo61zRUWfKfpB_TE0LyrTQfXhoWwFywrqhw9UAqvuAK8XmOrjcnaChrCB6mxCHn8VgcD32cVcV8E5Ktm4K2pvDNAqE1n13LGkwLT08mfOBaOdyxY3G-o6oDUTE8uo7Sr53HF_A7R5grPIivtyVueMy3qIVuMteSBqv1jy3tuDJvOQcxJbSGJGa6XLuD1cS7hc6invpRF0pQ_EX5vCPOCS0EckBhzZySj63qokVIvGY8vqDG2LJQfrey0dxlGMSaowih

Driving out a curvy, 35 mph road

Liked - Not much

Disliked - Surprised that the car was willing to cross both the double yellow line and the fog line on 45 degree curves.

25 miles in light rain.
Rain usually prevents my AP2 from AutoPilot. On a hunch I carefully cleaned all the cameras and headed home between downpours. AP was available and I used it. Speed limit was 50, but all stop and go due to traffic. After 25 miles another downpour and AP turned itself off.

1) light rain caused no problems
2) perfect speed control and good following distance control
3) car tracked well even through intersections, note that lanes were clearly marked, but without Botts Dots

Dislike
1) one red stoplight with no car in front of me was not recognized, three red lights with car in front were fine but that is car tracking
2) merging traffic was not seen until well into my lane
3) following distance was not adjusted for rain (I would like a bit more in the rain than the dry)

I've been experiencing the problem with a hard brake when going under some bridges or street signs. Although it only lasts a fraction of a second, it's discomforting since it happens when I least expect it. I caught it happening twice in a row on my dashcam. I wonder if sending it in to Tesla would help them in any way.