Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2 exceeds AP1 performance for me in two places

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth I have driven the 100+ miles route between Stevens Point and Madison Wisconsin numerous times on AP1 over the last few months. There are two or three spots where the car would inexplicably drift over the right hand lane marker onto the shoulder. And there is a construction zone with confusingly painted lane markers maybe 15-30 miles north of Madison which would also trip up AP1.

I'm now driving an AP2 Model X on 8.1. So far it has aced these spots.

How does AP1 handle shadows? AP2 seems to get very uncertain when the tree shadows move over the fog line.

This is one area where AP1 has gotten a lot better in my experience. When I first got my X (under 7.1), it would lose the lane line in any sort of repeating shadow crossing the line situation - which meant if there wasn't a car in front it quickly went holistic (and thus started to veer in odd directions) when trees cover both lines with intermittent shadows.

I was kinda surprised that it tracked both lines with no problems in a very similar situation for several miles a couple weeks ago under 8.1.

How does AP1 handle shadows? AP2 seems to get very uncertain when the tree shadows move over the fog line.

Minimal trouble with shadows, driving under bridges, trees or thru tunnels. Drives great with heavy clouds, rain but an unexpected pelting rain/sleet storm in January served me up the red death grip. It was an intense downpour and I was impressed at the extreme it took before handing back.

Otherwise the past year on AP1 has seen very good advancement and if we'd just get those last couple of promises (i.e. off ramping), it'd be all I need. I have no desire to be using AP on secondary roads.

I just drove around 200 miles today, and I would agree -- AP2 seems much more responsive around curves especially with hills involved. It still doesn't seem to handle sharp curves well, but for mild curves I always felt like AP1 started to turn a second too late.

Also, there appears to be zero truck lust with AP2.... it seems like it can still see the lane line even when there's shadows cast over the lane line or a truck wheel is really close to it.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and EinSV
I still get some "exit ramp lust" and maybe mild truck lust. I'd prefer it veer away from the truck slightly like a human driver would do. There are definitely some curves where AP2 completely misses the turn and would crash with another vehicle if not stopped. This is despite adequate lane markings. Not sure exactly why this is occurring at some curves but not others. Even lowering the vehicle speed (to give more time for AP2 to respond) makes zero difference. Very unsafe.

Many of us on here are probably superior drivers so I feel it's OK for us to play with this AP2 "feature". However, no way I'd allow an elderly person or average driver engage AP2 since I fear they may not respond in time to intervene.

Reactions: gowthamn
One thing that I do not like about AP1 is that it does not pick up cars quickly enough with the sensors. If someone pulls into my lane during traffic or normally it takes it little longer to pick it up or if someone is coming on on either side it doesn't show on the dash until the car is half way up to me. AP1 needs to pick on cars a lot sooner.

I still get some "exit ramp lust" and maybe mild truck lust. I'd prefer it veer away from the truck slightly like a human driver would do.

FWIW, AP1 "truck lust" was a much more pronounced effect compared to just wanting to drive a bit offset from a truck.

AP1 truck lust is a common problem to every lane holding system based off MobileEye: when a truck casts a shadow or the wheels get too close to a lane marker, the camera refuses to recognize those lane markers anymore. Then the car goes into backup "this is where the fleet learned lane lines SHOULD be" mode, or it may recognize the other side's lane lines and think you're in a really wide lane.... and that results in a sudden steering adjustment towards the truck right as you're passing it.

On ap1 Tesla's been gradually improving Truck lust but there's still a hint of it even in 8.0.

One thing that I do not like about AP1 is that it does not pick up cars quickly enough with the sensors. If someone pulls into my lane during traffic or normally it takes it little longer to pick it up or if someone is coming on on either side it doesn't show on the dash until the car is half way up to me. AP1 needs to pick on cars a lot sooner.

It does not slow quickly but when the other car is just cutting across multiple lanes, it works great because it doesn't slow so quickly and take so long to pick back up. If it were to be adjusted to slow more quickly, then I would be content if it recovered speed more quickly too. That way you don't get jerked around on the cut off need and I don't jerked to a crawl when it's just someone weaving on/out. :cool:

With AP1 I'm generally happy with how it typically performs.

But, here are some spots where it still needs some work with the work being within the capability of the HW.

It's still dives for the exit occasionally. Sure it's not nearly as bad as it used to be when it came out, but it's far from perfect. It's still the "oh, there isn't a line here now so lets go look for it".

There is still too much unnecessary steering activity.

It should offset itself in the lane when it sees the car in front and to the right offset in the lane.

In any event I'm a lot more content with AP1 than I am about the drivers on the roads these days. I just got back from a trip to Portland, OR and my god people are idiots.

Every 20 or so miles there are the "stay to the right except to pass" signs, and people pay no attention to it. I swear I'm going to put another sign below it that read "Yes, we really mean it".

I generally prefer the middle lane, but it's hard to be in the middle lane when it becomes the passing lane.

The killer feature of EAP will be automatic lane changes. When it has that it's going to be pretty tempting.

University of Toronto researchers show that weaving back and forth between lanes do not get you to your destination any faster but may increase the risk of accidents which of course will then slow you down even more.

What the researchers didn't measure is whether or not the weaving drivers feel satisfied :D

(In all seriousness the variable they did not normalize for is the other drivers switching lanes on his behalf -- herd immunity against slow lanes.... and also, come on everyone.... practice changing lanes safely. It's not rocket science. I'm not advocating reckless road-rage driving but safely choosing the fastest lane I do think is a good thing.)

University of Toronto researchers show that weaving back and forth between lanes do not get you to your destination any faster but may increase the risk of accidents which of course will then slow you down even more.

I'm of the same opinion.

The point of it isn't to increase the lane changes, but to relax the driver to reduce the total number of lane changes. It also will cater to those who are lazy, and hog the left lane. Once those people are in cars with automated lane changes they'll be out of the way. So people won't have to go through all sorts of silliness to try to get around them.

Ultimately it comes down to calming people down.