Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP in 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car had a really hard time finding lanes it used to have no problem finding before.
Many cartoon cars were shown over their line when they weren't.
Lane change is much more responsive but seems more dangerous as getting very close to cars in front of me when changing lanes.
I'm not sure radar is better...
But we agreed to "BETA"

I honestly don't think this is radar to blame. Lane lines have to be detected by camera. I would guess fleet learning reset with 8.0 or the new geocoded lane lines are not working as intended.

At any rate I would recommend relating this feedback back to Tesla, even if it's just an email.

Well, I am happy to report that the radar, I assume, has helped a lot with Botts Dots. That was a big problem in a route I routinely travel each week where there are dots, but not white lines beneath them. Now all lanes show clearly in the IC. AP overall is still a bit shaky, but it feels that way to me after every one of these major updates so either it's me or the interim updates and fleet learning improve it through time as some have suggested.

Was just asked by a buddy of mine via MSG, what does the MAX prose mean in the TACC circle?
I looked up a meaning for it in the old 7.1 User Guide but to no avail.
Does anyone have a definition for what MAX means above the number but in the blue circle?

I had figured it stood for "maximum", as in the highest speed that the TACC would attempt to hold.

Bruce.

I had figured it stood for "maximum", as in the highest speed that the TACC would attempt to hold.

Bruce.
That is what I thought too.... But then, I figured that would be redundant as any number in the blue ball would be the maximum or limit that was set.... Ok I agree but the MAX seems unnecessary in that case.... Or are we missing something? I do not think so. I wish I had the manual available.

It would have been utterly irresponsible to say "Hold the update for a couple more weeks while we tweak XYZ and add functions to ABC", under even the remote possibility someone may have preventably died during such a delay.
But it isn't either-or. The AP software is almost, if not utterly, entirely independent of the media player software. If the media player
wasn't fully baked they could have chosen to not release it. This is called the "train model": the release (train) leaves at a set time and
those components (passengers) that are at the station and ready board, those do don't/aren't wait for the next one.

I've had 8.0 for a little over two days now. This evening I tried AP out on a stretch of road that I had previously given up trying
it on with 7.1 because the lane markings on both sides are rather poor quality, the car was constantly losing one or the other
(and sometimes both), and the resulting lane-keeping was uncertain and kind of nerve-wracking. This evening 8.0 appeared to
do much better. It was able to "see" at least one line virtually all of the time and much of the time saw both, with a lot less "fading"
and flickering. Best of all, the resultant lane-keeping was pretty smooth and not just dog-on-two-legs performance.

Until, that is, something really weird started happening: at some point along this stretch of 55mph road the car decided that the
MAX speed was 18. Yes, 18. The car started decelerating rapidly (enhanced regen braking, don't you know) -- good thing no one
was right behind me. I could not figure out what it was "thinking". At first I thought maybe it had picked up some weird road-side
sign (with 13 on it?), but that theory was dispelled when I passed the next 55 speed limit sign and the car showed that it saw it
and read it correctly. Still said MAX speed was 18. Turning AP off and on again didn't help. Never did figure it out.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
My peripheral vision is fine (according to my ophthalmologist).
I find that the view of reality through the windows is much superior to the cartoon view on the display so I only glance at the display occasionally. I must have missed all of the display warnings and there were no audible warnings before I was locked out.
Maybe it's your seating position. If you are sitting higher or more forward that would make the dash more peripheral.
Not saying you should have to change seating position, just thought it might explain the differences you guys are seeing.

A general observation when comparing AP before and after; it is important to note the lighting conditions, i.e. the time and day and weather. They are more likely to have an impact on how well AP handles the lanes, so a good comparison would be when driving the same road at the same time in fair weather.

That is what I thought too.... But then, I figured that would be redundant as any number in the blue ball would be the maximum or limit that was set.... Ok I agree but the MAX seems unnecessary in that case.... Or are we missing something? I do not think so. I wish I had the manual available.

I realized this morning while driving on AP that the word "MAX" only appears while TACC is engaged. So this would serve as additional confirmation that TACC is active. For drivers with a color vision deficiency, this might be the only visual indication they have, since changing the color of the number and circle might not be noticed.
If this is true, give some Tesla UI designer a bit of credit for a small, but potentially meaningful, improvement.

Bruce.

Yes I noticed this as well bmah. Being color challenged the MAX addition is a good thing for sure.
One odd thing, today Auto Lange Change did not work for me.... when I got to my destination, I looked
at the Driver Assist Settings and somehow and some way it was turned to OFF, whereas before it was ON.
I will have to keep and eye on that.

Reactions: bmah
chillaban is correct in his/her response! See the video of entitled "Autopilot 1.5 Fixes & Feedback" this shows the alternate scenario of 3 audible warnings NOT in the same warning session.

@chillaban - Great job responding and saving me some key strokes!

I didn't get a chance to test the "1 hour" limitation because I didnt have 2 hours to test my next road trip I will, but I would presume that the 1 hour is relative to the time you put it into drive and then is measured against that time, so if you put the car in drive at 3:05pm then 4:05pm the counter resets.
Thanks, I watched the last video now and it was also very informative. Appreciative of everyone's comments. I fully understand this now.