Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Tesla Rep : Hi, the $250 savings is reusing the original touchscreen. The Media Control Unit is still replaced, just the touchscreen will be transferred over. The Instrument Cluster is not replaced as part of the Infotainment Upgrade

IC cannot be reused. Ic1 is totally not compatible with mcu2.

I do want the 250 discount and I'll definitely ask for it if they end up reusing the touchscreen.

According to Tesla Rep : Hi, the $250 savings is reusing the original touchscreen. The Media Control Unit is still replaced, just the touchscreen will be transferred over. The Instrument Cluster is not replaced as part of the Infotainment Upgrade
That makes no sense. Everything I have ever heard is that the original instrument cluster is its own computer separate from MCU1, and that MCU2 drives the display on the newer instrument clusters, which is just a dumb slaved display. How can they be upgrading to MCU2 without changing the instrument cluster?

I just ordered the MCU upgrade, and just like @croman, I had a part number ordered that does not seem to include the MCU display (thus keeping the old display). I don't know how Tesla is not going to replace the IC display. Anyone with additional info?

@KGA Tour I don't think that is what is happening for you. The touch screen is just the display for the MCU. You are still being upgraded to MCU2....which uses the instrument cluster as a remote display vice a separate computer. Worth asking the question but I suspect what you are getting is:

- New IC display
- New MCU2 computer
- original MCU display

We know they have a shortage of MCU displays due to the yellow band issue and they probably figure they can save some by keeping you with your current MCU display and then have that display to replace someone else's....

Instrument cluster is not being replaced under MCU 2 upgrade per my Tesla service center. Quite frankly, OC seems fine and
That makes no sense. Everything I have ever heard is that the original instrument cluster is its own computer separate from MCU1, and that MCU2 drives the display on the newer instrument clusters, which is just a dumb slaved display. How can they be upgrading to MCU2 without changing the instrument cluster?

I just ordered the MCU upgrade, and just like @croman, I had a part number ordered that does not seem to include the MCU display (thus keeping the old display). I don't know how Tesla is not going to replace the IC display. Anyone with additional info?

I do not know all the technical details but I'm sure Tesla service center will make sure everthing works when performing MCU2 upgrade? I will report back in July after my upgrade. Happy father's day to all!

What's the benefit to replacing the touchscreen? Is it a different model? Will it still yellow? Are there any functional differences? Just got a quote of $3510 plus tax with screen and $3160 plus tax without the screen replacement. (Canadian Dollars) Just posting for information purposes. I listen to FM 92.1 which seems to always be not working on TuneIn here in Calgary. :( I don't think I can upgrade unless MCU2 fixes the TuneIn problems.

Really??!! Going from Park to Drive in my 2016 75D is instantaneous. Is this a “thing” to “look forward to”?

I have a 2017 MS P100D. It's not from P to D that's the issue. It's the waking the car up from a sleep. The door handles present themselves, driver opens door, you sit down. The main screen is black. Wait.. wait.. wait.. logo turns on.. wait.. then the screen comes on like normal. Lately this is getting longer and longer.

I have a 2017 MS P100D. It's not from P to D that's the issue. It's the waking the car up from a sleep. The door handles present themselves, driver opens door, you sit down. The main screen is black. Wait.. wait.. wait.. logo turns on.. wait.. then the screen comes on like normal. Lately this is getting longer and longer.

Disable power savings. Problem solved.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and Vector2
I believe your rep is confused...it most certainly is replaced....

Interesting. Well I got a quote from the rep with and without the touchpad replacement. I hope you're right and I can save a few hundred on the new screen. Do you have any proof that this is the case? I heard this as a rumor, just looking to call them out on it, if it's just a cash grab.

Providing an update to the group. Got a call a week before the 6/9 appointment saying that all the parts have not arrived for the upgrade of the Infotainment (MCU2) and FSD (HW3). Appt now set for 6/26. Will give a full accounting of the experience once complete.

For those that choose to get HW3 without the MCU2 upgrade, just know that when the dashcam feature is enabled the navigation and screen overall is even slower than before. Was going to hold off on the upgrade, but might have to get it now as the screen has gotten too slow if I choose to enable the dashcam feature.

That shouldn't be a surprise. You are putting additional load on an MCU1 processor which is already overloaded. I still don't understand why people are surprised when the do the HW3 upgrade but remain on MCU1 and are then surprised when the MCU1 is slowed further....

Because they're charging $2,500k for a $250 computer, and even with that huge markup, Tesla is still too cheap to replace the d**n radio so that it actually works correctly. That's why. I don't know about anybody else, but I'll upgrade the MCU when it isn't one step forwards and two steps back.

Because they're charging $2,500k for a $250 computer, and even with that huge markup, Tesla is still too cheap to replace the d**n radio so that it actually works correctly. That's why. I don't know about anybody else, but I'll upgrade the MCU when it isn't one step forwards and two steps back.
That's fine, but recognize that markup like that is perfectly normal. Apple charges you $1000 for a phone that costs somewhere around $100, so complaining about Tesla selling you a $250 computer for $2500 is simply calling them out for something that is very common in the tech industry. I'm also not prepared to say the total cost of the MCU2 is actually $250. I haven't researched it, but it looks like it needs 2-3 hours of labor (which likely has a total cost of around $150-$250) then the physical hardware itself which I suspect costs Tesla more that $250. I haven't bothered to look up the various parts (or even the screen) to try to price it because I don't care that much.

I do agree that the radio tuner issue is a real downside issue, but I acknowledge that Tesla has a real cost issue right now and is trying to make FSD work and clearly has acknowledged that MCU2 is really necessary to get FSD working, so they were stuck at how do they do the MCU upgrade at minimal cost to Tesla to meet the "FSD commitment" previously made. They really are in a "Dammed if you do, Damned if you don't" position (much of which is a self-induced problem).

Reactions: croman
I am scheduled to get the FSD upgrade on July 2nd for my Dec 2016 Model X with AP2.0 hardware and MCU1.
Here are the parts that Tesla is ordering for upgrade:
  1. ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED
    Part #: 1655000-70-I
  2. NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK
    Part #: 1012845-00-A
  3. ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX
    Part #: 1507950-00-A
Overall, the MCU1 seems to have slowed down appreciably over the last year. Hoping it will not get worse after AP3.