Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has gotten so laggy that yesterday while driving the entire thing crashed. Went black and took about 15 minutes for the "T" to come back on and it eventually came back up. I'm wondering if my eMMC is starting to go from all of the updating....
I had a very similar experience as per my previous posts #93, #94
I also felt like my eMMC is starting to go but then everything was fine prior to FSD upgrade?
So far I have factory reset (UI feels snappier) and will see if freezing returns ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a very similar experience as per my previous posts #93, #94
I also felt like my eMMC is starting to go but then everything was fine prior to FSD upgrade?
So far I have factory reset (UI feels snappier) and will see if freezing returns ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I may try that again also. I did one 6 months ago (pre-FSD computer) and it was like a different car. UI was actually similar to new. Now it's just straight crap. How long since you factory reset it has it been running well?

Yup gotten very laggy.
Few months ago prior to FSD upgrade I had done factory reset just out of curiosity and my voice command started working almost instantaneously. Since FSD upgrade again everything got very laggy and today I had black out backup camera screen issue, music would stop/freeze and just in general very unresponsive, so again I did a factory reset and noticed that new maps now have color back again (water is blue now). I don't remember seeing it earlier so I am assuming something didn't upload properly during FSD upgrade? At least voice command is again very responsive but will see if it's just temporary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What you describe is how my MCU was a month before it died. It broke trying to download a new update.

@ahkahn my MCU1 died and I experienced a series of failures. I knew it was serious when I lost Bluetooth and I couldn't stream music or access any internet. I could get intermittent radio but it literally went out in random and frequent intervals and was annoying. I desperately tried to get mcu2 and my service center said they'd do it. They ordered the kit and I approved the invoice. 2 weeks after that the part finally shipped but my MCU died about a week into the waiting period. I lost the ability to safely drive the car but I could make short local trips. You lose so much when your MCU is dead. Hopefully you're still under warranty otherwise budget 2500 for the infotainment or consider sending your MCU to @EV-Fixme and getting your emmc upgraded. For the second option you'll likely need to disassemble your dash and extract the MCU which isn't for everyone. Good luck to you both.

What you describe is how my MCU was a month before it died. It broke trying to download a new update.

@ahkahn my MCU1 died and I experienced a series of failures. I knew it was serious when I lost Bluetooth and I couldn't stream music or access any internet. I could get intermittent radio but it literally went out in random and frequent intervals and was annoying. I desperately tried to get mcu2 and my service center said they'd do it. They ordered the kit and I approved the invoice. 2 weeks after that the part finally shipped but my MCU died about a week into the waiting period. I lost the ability to safely drive the car but I could make short local trips. You lose so much when your MCU is dead. Hopefully you're still under warranty otherwise budget 2500 for the infotainment or consider sending your MCU to @EV-Fixme and getting your emmc upgraded. For the second option you'll likely need to disassemble your dash and extract the MCU which isn't for everyone. Good luck to you both.

Very interesting. Yeah I'm researching @EV-Fixme right now. I think I'm going to take it apart today and send it in... I'm out of warranty and pretty comfortable taking apart my car and electronics in general. I think it was your write-up who said that you were surprised at how fast the MCU1 was after the eMMC replacement? I'd like to see a video on that... Anyway, yeah, it's time for me...

Reactions: croman

I am out of warranty so yeah it will be out of pocket. It's unfortunate if MCU is dying as I had gotten a replacement MCU less than 2 years ago due to yellow bordering issue prior to UV fix introduction.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Yeah I'm researching @EV-Fixme right now. I think I'm going to take it apart today and send it in... I'm out of warranty and pretty comfortable taking apart my car and electronics in general. I think it was your write-up who said that you were surprised at how fast the MCU1 was after the eMMC replacement? I'd like to see a video on that... Anyway, yeah, it's time for me...

Well my new MCU is fast. Faster than I remember at delivery and I can figure out a short video of common things but I still can't get the browser to work and basically MCU1 has it's limits and I'm fine generally with it but I can't deal with Tesla getting sloppy and further designing for MCU2 only or, worse, landscape screens only.

A larger emmc for mcu1 has been reported to be much much faster than even my new MCU1 and it was what I looked into before my MCU fully died. Tony can only help you at this stage. My MCU totally dying also meant I lost lifetime stats. Don't wait too long if you are capable. I'm not.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowbell and ahkahn

Please see this post by whitex
Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Yep - that was what I was referring back to. Sorry @croman, I thought it was you that reported that, didn't realize it was @whitex . Anyway, I pulled my Tegra last night and am overnighting it today to @EV-Fixme .

I'm looking forward to seeing the results! With 78,000 miles on the odometer, I can't justify spending the $2500 for a new MCU... but the crashes and horrible sluggishness (which got much worse after the FSD computer upgrade) requires that I do something on it...

Will report back!

I don't have to time to read through the entire thread so I apologize in advance if any of my comments have already been discussed. However, I wanted to share my experience in my quest to upgrade from HW2 to HW3.

A couple of weeks ago, I called Tesla to inquire about the upgrade. They told me that if I opted to purchase the MCU2 upgrade, they would be able to perform the HW3 upgrade at the same time. At that time, they were not accepting appointments for HW2 to HW3 upgrades without the purchase of MCU2. I opted to go for the MCU2 upgrade so that I could get the upgrade to HW3 sooner.

A few days later, I received a call from Tesla Service informing me that they are now performing HW2 to HW3 upgrades without the MCU2 upgrade. I expressed my desire to skip the MCU2 upgrade and just try HW3 on MCU1. The technician then informed me that the order for MCU2 + HW3 bundle is different than the HW3 only upgrade. He seemed to think that if I went the HW3 only upgrade route, there could potentially be problems if I decided later to upgrade to MCU2. He wasn't 100% sure but he thinks that the HW3 module for this type of upgrade is a different form factor than one that is bundled with the MCU2 upgrade. Potentially, if you go the HW3 upgrade only route and decided to purchase MCU2 later, you may need to spend out of pocket money to purchase another HW3 module that is compatible with MCU2. Before you guys choose the HW3 only upgrade, please verify with your technician if this is true before placing the order.

In any case, I decided to go with the MCU2 + HW3 bundle. I'm scheduled to have the upgrade performed this Wednesday but that might get pushed out as the MCU2 module is still on its way.

The hw3 for s and x is the same as the one in the kit. They lied. Sorry but it happens with Tesla employees because it's easier to make it up than actually get real answers.

I suspected as much but it didn't really impact me too greatly. The only thing that was holding me back from the upgrade to MCU2 was the fact that I would lose AM and FM. In the end, having the extra features and snappier interface outweighed the inconvenience of using Internet radio on my phone to get those stations.

Reactions: croman
Yep - that was what I was referring back to. Sorry @croman, I thought it was you that reported that, didn't realize it was @whitex . Anyway, I pulled my Tegra last night and am overnighting it today to @EV-Fixme .

I'm looking forward to seeing the results! With 78,000 miles on the odometer, I can't justify spending the $2500 for a new MCU... but the crashes and horrible sluggishness (which got much worse after the FSD computer upgrade) requires that I do something on it...

Will report back!
I may have to do the same and with 64k miles I too can't justify spending $2500.
If you can please make a small video after upgrade for any speed improvement.
Thanks

I don't have to time to read through the entire thread so I apologize in advance if any of my comments have already been discussed. However, I wanted to share my experience in my quest to upgrade from HW2 to HW3.

A couple of weeks ago, I called Tesla to inquire about the upgrade. They told me that if I opted to purchase the MCU2 upgrade, they would be able to perform the HW3 upgrade at the same time. At that time, they were not accepting appointments for HW2 to HW3 upgrades without the purchase of MCU2. I opted to go for the MCU2 upgrade so that I could get the upgrade to HW3 sooner.

A few days later, I received a call from Tesla Service informing me that they are now performing HW2 to HW3 upgrades without the MCU2 upgrade. I expressed my desire to skip the MCU2 upgrade and just try HW3 on MCU1. The technician then informed me that the order for MCU2 + HW3 bundle is different than the HW3 only upgrade. He seemed to think that if I went the HW3 only upgrade route, there could potentially be problems if I decided later to upgrade to MCU2. He wasn't 100% sure but he thinks that the HW3 module for this type of upgrade is a different form factor than one that is bundled with the MCU2 upgrade. Potentially, if you go the HW3 upgrade only route and decided to purchase MCU2 later, you may need to spend out of pocket money to purchase another HW3 module that is compatible with MCU2. Before you guys choose the HW3 only upgrade, please verify with your technician if this is true before placing the order.

In any case, I decided to go with the MCU2 + HW3 bundle. I'm scheduled to have the upgrade performed this Wednesday but that might get pushed out as the MCU2 module is still on its way.

I also forgot to mention that the MCU2 upgrade includes the replacement of the binnacle display as well as the center console display. They didn't say why it needed to be replaced but I suspect the connectors are different so they can't reuse what's already intalled.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I also forgot to mention that the MCU2 upgrade includes the replacement of the binnacle display as well as the center console display. They didn't say why it needed to be replaced but I suspect the connectors are different so they can't reuse what's already intalled.

The instrument cluster (binnacle) with an MCU1 is a full computer that talks to the MCU1. On the MCU2, it is just a secondary display. So it definitely needs to be replaced as part of the kit.

Reactions: byeLT4 and croman
I've got a 2017 MS P100D with an HW2.0 to HW3.0 upgrade scheduled for Aug 7, 2020. I'm curious if the new HW3.0 with MCU 1 has any differences between MCU1 vs MCU 2. I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade to MCU2 as well. My questions are -- can anyone answer the following:
- FM will be disabled, and you'll need TuneIn to do this with the MCU2 upgrade. Does this work as well as the regular FM tuner? I heard that they fixed this and you can still maintain FM tuner. Not sure what to believe.
- Games -- all the new games will be enabled
- NetFlix - with this configuration you will get NetFlix right?
- Slow start - the MCU2 should correct issues with the car going from park to drive. Right now it takes 30- 45 seconds.
- Cones, stop signs and traffic lights are enabled with HW3.0 and don't require MCU2. Not sure if this is true.

For what it's worth I'm in Calgary, AB, Canada. Not sure if that matters. Anyone have any info on the above I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
I've got a 2017 MS P100D with an HW2.0 to HW3.0 upgrade scheduled for Aug 7, 2021. I'm curious if the new HW3.0 with MCU 1 has any differences between MCU1 vs MCU 2. I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade to MCU2 as well. My questions are -- can anyone answer the following:
- FM will be disabled, and you'll need TuneIn to do this with the MCU2 upgrade. Does this work as well as the regular FM tuner? I heard that they fixed this and you can still maintain FM tuner. Not sure what to believe.
- Games -- all the new games will be enabled
- NetFlix - with this configuration you will get NetFlix right?
- Slow start - the MCU2 should correct issues with the car going from park to drive. Right now it takes 30- 45 seconds.
- Cones, stop signs and traffic lights are enabled with HW3.0 and don't require MCU2. Not sure if this is true.

For what it's worth I'm in Calgary, AB, Canada. Not sure if that matters. Anyone have any info on the above I'd appreciate it.
“2021” - really??

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4