Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple developing their own car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I first reported this rumor on 1/1/15: Rumor: Apple buying Tesla - Page 9

Although the information was hearsay that came via a former Tesla engineer who heard it from a current engineer, it was clear that Tesla was taking this very seriously. My understanding is that significant raises were given to keep employees from jumping ship (nowhere near what Apple was offering). My source also offered a bit of snark: the employees that did leave for Apple were not Tesla's best talent. :wink:

If you look at my past posts, you'll see that my source has proven to be credible: Confirmation of AWD Supercar long before the D reveal; also that we would see the AWD Supercar before the X. My source was wrong, however, about the fact that there would be no regular AWD S (now known as 85D). And I'm still waiting to see that truck my source mentioned...

Back on topic: My sense is that Apple is only interested in producing a high-end, Apple-branded car that integrates iOS, not something they will be building from the bottom up.

IMNSHO, there's no way Apple is building a car from the ground up.

Here's my guess: Apple is working with Tesla on the infotainment/autopilot systems, and Tesla will sign a multi-year (at least two year) exclusive licensing deal with Apple. Apple stores will start showing the Tesla interface, and you'll hear Apple employees at the genius bar say, "Hey, if you want to try out the system in actual car, we have some cars outside." Once in the Tesla, they'll say, "You really can't try autopilot on a stationary car, so we'll take it out on the road. Remember, this isn't a test drive. You're just evaluating the Apple software."

This sounds kind of like a 'secret weapon' to increase demand, doesn't it? Tesla will be free to show their cars in all 50 states in hundreds of more locations.

There are good reasons to believe that Tesla has licensed software from MobilEye in Israel to use as the basis for their Auto Pilot software. Tesla doesn't need Apple for that reason and Apple has zero experience in that kind of software, whereas MobilEye has 15 years of development and working products and established relationships with many vehicle manufacturers. See Tesla watchers eye Mobileyes $500 million IPO

Quote: "Tesla watchers, including Model S owners, are paying close attention to Mobileye on discussion forums and investor threads. The company’s prospectus lists Audi, BMW, GM, Mitsubishi, Tesla, Volvo and several other automakers as partners, and the Israeli press has reported that Mobileye and Tesla have teamed up on driverless cars.

“We can simply confirm that we have a business relationship with them,” said Simon Sproule, Tesla’s VP of Communications, in response to an email asking how to best characterize the relationship. “Nothing further to add.”"

Last edited:
IMNSHO, there's no way Apple is building a car from the ground up.

Here's my guess: Apple is working with Tesla on the infotainment/autopilot systems, and Tesla will sign a multi-year (at least two year) exclusive licensing deal with Apple. Apple stores will start showing the Tesla interface, and you'll hear Apple employees at the genius bar say, "Hey, if you want to try out the system in actual car, we have some cars outside." Once in the Tesla, they'll say, "You really can't try autopilot on a stationary car, so we'll take it out on the road. Remember, this isn't a test drive. You're just evaluating the Apple software."

This sounds kind of like a 'secret weapon' to increase demand, doesn't it? Tesla will be free to show their cars in all 50 states in hundreds of more locations.

+1. I think you are spot on!

Tesla's market cap is currently $25.57 billion. Apple's is $740.20 billion, 29 times as much as Tesla. It would not be a "merger", it would be a "takeover" of Tesla by Apple. See What is the difference between a merger and a takeover?

I believe it likely that Elon will not sell Tesla until it is about as valuable as Apple currently is. He believes that will take ten years. Such a sale would give him the resources he needs to colonize Mars through SpaceX. Of course he also wants SpaceX to be extremely profitable so he can fund that colonization just through that company, and that may well happen. But it may not be enough.

I am of course, just wildly speculating. But the next ten years are going to be fascinating to watch...

+1. I think you are spot on!

The more I think about it, to make this a 'secret weapon' all Apple and Tesla would need to agree on is that Teslas would be the only vehicles that Apple would show at Apple stores. Not that Apple would not be free to develop CarPlay for more manufacturers. But the best showcase for CarPlay would obviously be the most high-tech car with the best screens and integration.

It would be funny if this happens, and Apple store employees have to insist that it's a software evaluation. Can you imagine how much you would be paying attention to the software after pressing the accelerator in insane mode? :scared:

Tesla's market cap is currently $25.57 billion. Apple's is $740.20 billion, 29 times as much as Tesla. It would not be a "merger", it would be a "takeover" of Tesla by Apple. See What is the difference between a merger and a takeover?
In addition, every time there is a merger (between two relatively large companies, not a buyout of a very small company) jobs are lost and the economy shrinks by a small amount. After hundreds of mergers the hit to the economy is no longer small. I like the way Ben & Jerry put it: "No matter how many billions you have, you can only eat so much ice cream".

[snip], but unless Tim Cook has a burning desire to create a car they are unlikely to be successful.

We know that Apple wants CarPlay to be a success so of course Apple needs to being in some people from the automotive industry. But car play is an "infotainment" system, it is nothing like a system that can control every aspect of vehicle operation.

In theory Apple could devote $10 billion of its war chest with the objective of building cars (and obviously they would be EVs) but looking at it realistically I do not believe they will do so.

Elon pulled off the nearly impossible feat of creating the first successful new car company since Chrysler was founded in 1925. I don't see Tim Cook replicating that feat.
Emphasis mine.

I think ecarfan is spot on. Tim Cook doesn't have the desire, or enough control to push Apple into building a successful car. Tim would be ousted before he could make it happen even if he had the pure drive that Elon does. And he doesn't have the drive in any case.

Apple may be toying with the idea and seeing how the rumor plays out. But this is likely all about CarPlay.

This blogger does Apple will buy Tesla for $75b in 18 months | Calacanis.com
(I don't see a merger happening)

In the article, the author hypothesizes that 3x Tesla market cap would get a deal done, given necessary assurances that Apple would use it's resources to speed the revolution rather than muck it up.

My question to fellow shareholders. Given a $200 share price today, would you vote Aye to a $600 share price offer by Apple for your shares? My personal inclination right now is no, but I'm willing to allow that I could be persuaded. The challenge is being persuaded that the acquisition would enhance Tesla's progress towards affordable electric transportation, and I'm skeptical that an acquisition will help.