TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Apple Watch battery life discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by smilepak, Jun 28, 2015.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

Since Apple Watch battery life suck, anyone of you uses a docking of some sort in the Tesla for the watch to charge?

2. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

You need it to last more than a day? In any case, the charging cable is USB, which plugs right into the Model S USB port.

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

My Apple Watch battery life is great--and far better than advertised. I rarely get below 40% remaining when I go to bed, and the watch has been off of the charger for 16-18 hours. I don't have the watch active and in my face every minute, and don't use it for long exercise periods where the continuous heart rate sensor draws power), but it is fine for me. YMMV.

4. hans

hans P631

5. TonyOrr

TonyOrr Member

6. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue, 6 seats

Doesn't suck for me at all. Most days when I go to bed it has 70% left. If I use Apple Maps on my phone for a long distance it mirrors on the watch, and those days it has about 50% left. Until the watchOS 2 software is out, the watch doesn't show anything while charging, so "docking" it makes no sense. With the new software comes "night stand mode", which shows the time if you touch it while charging. But as the Model S already has a clock I'm not sure how useful that'll be in a car.

7. hans

hans P631

I don't have one. I use a Pebble Smartwatch to control the Tesla and the battery lasts a week because of the digital ink display.

8. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

Hans,

Noticed your comment on the Pebble watch... I have been using one for a couple of years, and just got the Pebble Time... HOW are you using it to control the Tesla. Would love to have this sort of capability.

9. smilepak

smilepak Member

Interesting. I had it and returned it. Took of charger at 7:00 am by 7:00pm down to 20% battery. I get a lot of emails esp linked to corp mail

10. hans

hans P631

Here it is. I think there is another thread for this app but I am not sure.

ErikDeBruijn/TeslaFTW · GitHub

11. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Not at all, I've had my watch about 6 weeks and it has always had 50% or more power when I plug it in at night.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I do all day hikes and have found that if I run the Apple Watch Workout app continuously after about 6 hours it goes into Power Reserve mode. So battery life is an issue for some.

13. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Supporting Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I typically exercise for more than two hours, and use messaging and telephone many times every day. I also use Mobile S almost all the time when I am out of my car. When traveling in cities I usually use the maps continuously. My lowest charge remaining was 30% and that followed about ten hours of constant maps, telephone and message use, plus Mobile S.
    For my use battery life is therefore no problem. That said, more is better!

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

No issues either. Can make it an entire day for most people. That said buying an extra charging cable to keep in your car or work bag not a bad idea. If you have 30 min somewhere where you have time to charge can get a boost.

15. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

Yup, same here. The workout app doesn't seem to be useful for treating a day hike as a workout. I suspect that they'll find a way to use less power in a future revision.