Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I know developer of “Watch App for Tesla” suggests a workaround for slow Siri response — open the app before you anticipate needing to issue a command. This gives it a chance to wake up, so later, you can give the open command and get better response time.

This makes it not very useful IMO.
It’s not really the app’s fault you have to do this l, but I’m not interested in a multi-step process with advance planning to open the car.

The app also causes phantom drain — and again, there is a hint from the developer that can reduce it by limiting the hours when you allow it to wake the car. Again, it is manual, and if you happen to be out early (or late) you may find background updates are not active when you need them.

1664718963355.png

Overall, too fiddly for me. But the other apps have the same drawbacks - this one has the most reasonable price if you want to try it.

Reactions: PACEMD
Yeah, I know developer of “Watch App for Tesla” suggests a workaround for slow Siri response — open the app before you anticipate needing to issue a command. This gives it a chance to wake up, so later, you can give the open command and get better response time.

This makes it not very useful IMO.
It’s not really the app’s fault you have to do this l, but I’m not interested in a multi-step process with advance planning to open the car.

The app also causes phantom drain — and again, there is a hint from the developer that can reduce it by limiting the hours when you allow it to wake the car. Again, it is manual, and if you happen to be out early (or late) you may find background updates are not active when you need them.

View attachment 859180

Overall, too fiddly for me. But the other apps have the same drawbacks - this one has the most reasonable price if you want to try it.
Yeah, they app makers are really limited by Tesla's OS. It would be nice it Tesla had an in-between mode that allowed network access without everything else. Kind of like a 'light nap' as opposed to awake or asleep.

Reactions: Daekwan and PACEMD
I had a lot of inconsistencies yesterday driving with only my series 6 Apple watch. It did work but not consistently with all the Siri functions. I agree waking the car up is an inconvenience. But in certain locations, the same applies to the iPhone app.

I wouldn't mind the watch having the same functionality as the phone, except I wonder how you handle car jackings.

Right now you just hold the buttons on either side of the phone and it resets and erases the phone, thus losing the connection to the car. If the bad guys see they can't steal your car at that point and they don't break or take your phone you can then restore from backup, sign into the app, and open the car and re-add it as a key from the center display.

If you haven't tried Tessie, give it a shot. I believe they have a free trial to test it out. It's accessible on the web, iOS, and apple watch to control everything. There's also Siri shortcuts and they recently added other automation capabilities. The developer is also very responsive. There's a separate thread on TMC where he's pretty active if you want to ask him any questions. I've been using it for about a year and it's been a very nice app with a clean UI and easy usability. It's a subscription model so it's going to be more expensive than the one time purchase of the watch only apps, but it also has a lot more functionality if you like to track your drives.

If you haven't tried Tessie, give it a shot. I believe they have a free trial to test it out. It's accessible on the web, iOS, and apple watch to control everything. There's also Siri shortcuts and they recently added other automation capabilities. The developer is also very responsive. There's a separate thread on TMC where he's pretty active if you want to ask him any questions. I've been using it for about a year and it's been a very nice app with a clean UI and easy usability. It's a subscription model so it's going to be more expensive than the one time purchase of the watch only apps, but it also has a lot more functionality if you like to track your drives.
Tessie is great and the devloper is, indeed, very responsive. I have shortcuts on my watch face for when I arrive (open trunk, open charge port, set charge based on day, and if at site 2, set id for SemaConnect, set timer (4 hours), close trunk, etc.) and for when I leave (open trunk, unlock, set cabin temp based on external temp, reset charge to home value, etc.). Now that the developer has added some of this functionality (charge value upon arrival), I've made some of these shortcuts simpler. I use the watch app all the time to check charge, open the frunk (auto frunk installed two weeks back!), open the trunk, lock/unlock or start the car. The iOS app is also great at tracking your battery degradation and also compare your range against the fleet.

So many uses. :)

Surprised more people aren't using the Watch for Tesla app. I have the Apple Watch and pay Verizon $10/month for LTE service.. its an awesome backup if I ever need to get in my car and dont have my phone or key around. Its also pretty handy in general.. when I dont want to take my phone out my pocket. Finally, since I run the Infograph watch face.. I can always see the status of the my cars battery.. and if the car is sleeping, charging or plugged in at a glance.

As for settings.. I have turned off wake in background. I have no need to use Siri commands and dont like any 3rd party apps constantly pinging my vehicle. My car sleeps as much as possible. That said I do have updates set on the app for 15min intervals.. as the default setting of 1 hour is too long. There is also a cool HUD feature the Watch for Tesla app does.. if you dont mind leaving your phone on the dash while driving. Im still amazing Tesla has no provided a simple color HUD in the 3/Y as it would make for awesome companion to the center touch screen, keep the minimalist look/feel of the interior and provide incredible useful information for the driver.. without needing to take your eyes off the road.

My wife got me a carbon fiber ring with an nfc chip built in. It’s completely replaced my wedding ring and I use it unlock/start my ‘21 Model Y everyday. I’ve turned Bluetooth off on my phone and never use the phone key anymore.

Just get the ring.
So you married your Tesla, Y? You know it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and EV.......

I stated above I had some inconsistencies last week using my Apple Watch 6 with cellular and the Watch for Tesla app, well, that's only on account of I'm an idiot. My cellular connection was not activating consistently/correctly and the shortcuts needed to be restructured. Fixed and now working well independently sans iPhone.......

Now the voice and tap commands are good to go. I did add a few additional shortcuts, ones not available when I first set this up several years back. The one I now find helpful is the Siri command.......Wake......

Ok, example, in the grocery store, approaching checkout, lift my arm and say Wake.........on the way out the door, raise arm and say......Open Trunk.......be sure to pronounce these with capital letters........

My wife just accuses me of being in a cult, the Cult of Elon. But I don't even like him that much. I just think Tesla makes a great car, SpaceX a great rocket, The Boring Company a great tunnel, and of course Neuralink is CREEPY
I get the same stuff from my wife. Then she asks to use my car once a week. 🤷🏻‍♂️. The other day she had my car and called me to tell me that the car beeps when the light turns green… she was super excited about it.. i was like, “doesn’t your BMW do that.. oh wait no..” I told her to just join the team already and stop hating on Tesla. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Isn't the wedding ring on your LEFT hand? Does that mean you have to reach the center console to start the car?
Yea.. but so what? It’s not a big deal to reach my left hand towards the B-pillar… especially if I’m approaching the car from the front. As far as the center console thing.. this is removed if you have pin to drive enabled so it’s not a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy and jcanoe