Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a new Apple Ultra and after further review, I'll still need a "wallet" of some sort for my driver's license, military ID, and Medicare Card. So I"ve been using a MagSafe wallet with my iPhone 12 to carry those essential ID's. So for now I don't see how I can get away from carrying a phone.

Long time lurker here who just registered to provide a suggestion here. I've been looking for an Apple Watch app for some time - one that allows you to register your app as a virtual key via bluetooth and does not require a cell connection, WiFi, or the presence of a phone. At long last, I've found one - search for "Virtual Key Fob for Watch" via Google or the Apple App store. It's $10 and is graphically rough. But it's stable, and it works reliably.

There is no phone app at all - it's just a little two or three screen app for the watch. You need to validate it with an existing physical key card to get it registered. Once that is done, you just select the app and it will allow you entry to the car and/or the ability to drive. As it's only acting as a virtual key, it doesn't even ask to provide access to your tesla account credentials. Due to the restrictions in WatchOS, it will disconnect as soon as you exit the app - but that's not really an issue as you only need it to gain entry and hit the drive button. If it loses the connection after that the car will provide a warning but keep driving - good enough to make it wherever you're going.

It's unfortunate that it's not better looking, and it'd be better if it came with at least one complication. And it's a shame that the authors haven't done a better job of marketing it - it doesn't even come up in the search for "tesla watch" or similar and it appears to have been on the market for months now. And of course they should obviously get the word out on these forums. But all that aside - hooray - I can now go for a run or go to the gym without my phone or card.

App store link

Long time lurker here who just registered to provide a suggestion here. I've been looking for an Apple Watch app for some time - one that allows you to register your app as a virtual key via bluetooth and does not require a cell connection, WiFi, or the presence of a phone. At long last, I've found one - search for "Virtual Key Fob for Watch" via Google or the Apple App store. It's $10 and is graphically rough. But it's stable, and it works reliably.

There is no phone app at all - it's just a little two or three screen app for the watch. You need to validate it with an existing physical key card to get it registered. Once that is done, you just select the app and it will allow you entry to the car and/or the ability to drive. As it's only acting as a virtual key, it doesn't even ask to provide access to your tesla account credentials. Due to the restrictions in WatchOS, it will disconnect as soon as you exit the app - but that's not really an issue as you only need it to gain entry and hit the drive button. If it loses the connection after that the car will provide a warning but keep driving - good enough to make it wherever you're going.

It's unfortunate that it's not better looking, and it'd be better if it came with at least one complication. And it's a shame that the authors haven't done a better job of marketing it - it doesn't even come up in the search for "tesla watch" or similar and it appears to have been on the market for months now. And of course they should obviously get the word out on these forums. But all that aside - hooray - I can now go for a run or go to the gym without my phone or card.

App store link
Thanks for sharing! I will definitely check this out.

App store link
Hell, I'm buying this right now.

$10 is wayyyyyy cheaper than the Uber ride, tow truck ride or waiting/frustration from being locked out of your car and figuring out how even to get help on the way. The last time i locked myself out of the car.. was on a Sunday afternoon with my 2007 Corvette.. After walking blocks to a hotel that let me use their phone/fax machine.. I found a dealership over 200 miles away that verified I was the owner of the vehicle and issued me a bidding code. I then had to pay a locksmith with a mobile workshop about $150 to use the code to cut a new key onsite. The entire ordeal took about 4-5 hours. Never again!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Hell, I'm buying this right now.

$10 is wayyyyyy cheaper than the Uber ride, tow truck ride or waiting/frustration from being locked out of your car and figuring out how even to get help on the way. The last time i locked myself out of the car.. was on a Sunday afternoon with my 2007 Corvette.. After walking blocks to a hotel that let me use their phone/fax machine.. I found a dealership over 200 miles away that verified I was the owner of the vehicle and issued me a bidding code. I then had to pay a locksmith with a mobile workshop about $150 to use the code to cut a new key onsite. The entire ordeal took about 4-5 hours. Never again!
Hey guys. Another great option is an app called “Watch app for Tesla”. I’ve been using this one for a few years and it’s been fantastic. Works flawlessly for me. The BIG BIG news is the developer just released an update (1.2.7), which when enabled, allows the app (on your watch) to connect directly to the vehicle via bluetooth and be registered as a separate/independent key fob. So, that means you no longer need your phone or physical key card to access/operate the vehicle (since your app/watch now connects to the vehicle by bluetooth). An internet/wifi connection is no longer needed. So, as the developer states in his latest release notes, your watch can be completely offline in the middle of the desert (no cellular or internet connection) and it will still work to open/operate your vehicle.
Of course, this means you can leave your phone or physical key card at home if you want to… although I would not recommend doing so since it’s always good to have a backup on hand just in case anything unexpected happens to your watch. I tested this new feature/functionality and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

The app does cost a few dollars to download. I think it was around $4 a few years ago when I bought it. Not sure how much it costs now. Might be worth considering for some of you…

Last edited:
Hey guys. Another great option is an app called “Watch app for Tesla”. I’ve been using this one for a few years and it’s been fantastic. Works flawlessly for me. The BIG BIG news is the developer just released an update (1.2.7), which when enabled, allows the app (on your watch) to connect directly to the vehicle via bluetooth and be registered as a separate/independent key fob. So, that means you no longer need your phone or physical key card to access/operate the vehicle (since your app/watch now connects to the vehicle by bluetooth). An internet/wifi connection is no longer needed. So, as the developer states in his latest release notes, your watch can be completely offline in the middle of the desert (no cellular or internet connection) and it will still works to open/operate your vehicle.
Of course, this means you can leave your phone or physical key card at home if you want to… although I would not recommend doing so since it’s always good to have a backup on hand just in case anything unexpected happens to your watch. I tested this new feature/functionality and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

The app does cost a few dollars to download. I think it was around $4 a few years ago when I bought it. Not sure how much it costs now. Might be worth considering for some of you…
Already been using it on my Apple Watch with Verizon LTE service for the past couple years.. and I agree it’s fantastic.

*edit* THANK YOU for posting the news about that update!! Had no idea it can now work via Bluetooth!

Attachments

• 501D1F0B-AF71-48EB-A72E-854C59FECCC1.png
    501D1F0B-AF71-48EB-A72E-854C59FECCC1.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: CaptUAL
Does the app have to be open for it to work? I’m tempted either way, but curious about that before I pull the trigger on one of these.
Yes, the app on your watch needs to be “open” for it to connect to the vehicle by Bluetooth. Not a big deal, since you can easily add one of the Watch App for Tesla icons as a complication on your watch face. So, a simple touch on your watch will allow the app to connect to & operate the vehicle.

Not yet as Tesla would have to approve. The current watch apps can perform many of the functions of the Tesla app but cannot be used to drive the vehicle unless a phone or a key card is also present.

Just to clarify, the recently updated Watch App for Tesla now allows you to register your watch as an independent key fob and now connects to your vehicle via Bluetooth. So, this means you no longer need a cellular plan on your watch or have a cellular/internet connection in order for your watch to turn-on/operate the vehicle. Some may consider this an extremely useful new feature. Some might not care…

Not sure how much it costs to download this app now, but a few years ago it was only around $4 iirc.
Depending on the current price, it may be worth it to some.

Just to clarify, the recently updated Watch App for Tesla now allows you to register your watch as an independent key fob and now connects to your vehicle via Bluetooth. So, this means you no longer need a cellular plan on your watch or have a cellular/internet connection in order for your watch to turn-on/operate the vehicle. Some may consider this an extremely useful new feature. Some might not care…

Not sure how much it costs to download this app now, but a few years ago it was only around $4 iirc.
It's $20 now. When you say the app has to be "open", does that mean running in the background or up and occupying the display?

It's $20 now. When you say the app has to be "open", does that mean running in the background or up and occupying the display?
I tested the app on my watch a few times and can confirm the app has to be open on your watch (occupying the display), so it can connect to your vehicle via Bluetooth. Once you touch/open the app on your watch, it establishes a Bluetooth connection almost instantly… at least it did the few times I’ve tested it.

It does not appear the app works (i.e. connects to your vehicle) if it in the background. However, there may be a setting on the app/watch which may allow the connection while it’s in the background. I’ve not had a chance to test/determine if this additional functionality is possible.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and PACEMD
I tested the app on my watch a few times and can confirm the app has to be open on your watch (occupying the display), so it can connect to your vehicle via Bluetooth. Once you touch/open the app on your watch, it establishes a Bluetooth connection almost instantly… at least it did the few times I’ve tested it.

It does not appear the app works (i.e. connects to your vehicle) if it in the background. However, there may be a setting on the app/watch which may allow the connection while it’s in the background. I’ve not had a chance to test/determine if this additional functionality is possible.
I suspect the Apple watch OS has very limited ability for things to run in the background due to battery considerations, especially apps that use bluetooth

This is great! I have the Stats App, but it Only connects via internet, Not Direct Watch to Car Bluetooth (key). It’s a deal breaker to be able to register and have this a dedicated, stand alone Bluetooth Key!
UPDATED: The STATS App developer responded to my inquiry about adding this: “Yes, I’ll add that. But note that, you need to manually launch the app on the watch each time. So, the only advantage would be that unlocking the car also works when you do not have the iPhone with you AND there is no internet connectivity”.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and Daekwan
I suspect the Apple watch OS has very limited ability for things to run in the background due to battery considerations, especially apps that use bluetooth

I set it up on both my watch & phone. Remember the app shows up in two places.

Both instances have been registered with my car separately. Never know might have my phone, but not my watch one day. Or might have my watch, but not my phone. Crazy things do happen!

Both instances have been registered with my car separately. Never know might have my phone, but not my watch one day. Or might have my watch, but not my phone. Crazy things do happen!
I understand having it registered on Apple Watch, but would would you not already have had the regular Tesla App (bluetooth key) on the phone?

Yes. I pretty much always have my phone with me, so the watch app would be superfluous but it’s a nice emergency backup.

I understand having it registered on Apple Watch, but would would you not already have had the regular Tesla App (bluetooth key) on the phone?
Because why not?

The app & functionality is already there. Gives me a backup.. of a backup. I've certainly had days where certain apps on my phone wouldn't open. So maybe you have to delete them and reinstall them to get to the open correctly. If the idea is to have to Bluetooth key incase there is no internet connectivity.. then you cant reinstall anything you have to first download. And look.. this situation will never happen.. but again.. why not if the capability is already there?

Because why not?

The app & functionality is already there. Gives me a backup.. of a backup. I've certainly had days where certain apps on my phone wouldn't open. So maybe you have to delete them and reinstall them to get to the open correctly. If the idea is to have to Bluetooth key incase there is no internet connectivity.. then you cant reinstall anything you have to first download. And look.. this situation will never happen.. but again.. why not if the capability is already there?
Sounds logical 👍