Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appt for HW 2.5 to 3.0 Retro tomorrow. Should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly people who have "fit" new stuff into their "retro" things, but I get where you're coming from.
Tesla is calling it a Retrofit.
Text from my invoice.
Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)
Removed vehicle car computer and installed HW 3.0 computer. Performed configuration change to vehicle and updated
firmware. Performed forward facing camera calibration and verified on test drive vehicle is operating as expected.
Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S (North America Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0-MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-F)

Tesla is calling it a Retrofit.
Text from my invoice.
Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)
Removed vehicle car computer and installed HW 3.0 computer. Performed configuration change to vehicle and updated
firmware. Performed forward facing camera calibration and verified on test drive vehicle is operating as expected.
Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S (North America Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0-MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-F)
Retrofit sounds appropriate:
retrofit: add (a component or accessory) to something that did not have it when manufactured.

Just dropped my late 2018 model X for the retrofit. Will report later on how it went. On my side I didn't receive any email to inform me of the retrofit. It was last month when I went to the SC to have a driver front window that would not close anymore fixed, that they told me I could schedule an apointment and that they were rolling out a lot of retrofit. I'm in Montreal, Canada.

They contacted me about the retrofit yesterday. Scheduled for the 26th. Once again, I already had an appointment for ranger service for an unrelated item and they contacted me about having it transferred to the SC so they could do the retrofit.

Just got the HW3 done on our Model 3 yesterday (MX done a month ago) - seems smoother and the full FSD preview is cool but you can still see the limits of the S/W for full FSD.

One odd experience I saw was driving north on 101 in CA during rush hour in the lane beside off ramps it twice it changed the speed limit to 35 from the correct 65 and that sort of jacked the AP. I will look to see if that is a one off etc

Reactions: Byegas
My 2018 MX is getting it's retrofit this morning, pretty stoked.

Schedule mobile appointment for something unrelated, and in the note asked about HW3. Next day they changed the appointment to SC on a different day. I got no txt, call or email notifying me of the change. But when i got here this AM they confirmed it was getting it's retro. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Borntooxlr8
They contacted me about the retrofit yesterday. Scheduled for the 26th. Once again, I already had an appointment for ranger service for an unrelated item and they contacted me about having it transferred to the SC so they could do the retrofit.

Did you order FSD with your original purchase, or after the fact? I've been in line for nearly two years, although I did not purchase the feature with the car, shortly after. Frustrating wait

Got my car back. I don’t drive a lot so the car is still calibrating. Seems to be stuck at 84% but as I said, I’ll need to take out the car again and put some millage on it. On the plus side, I see orange cones now :p

UPDATE: I'm still stuck at 84%. But I realised that the message shown is as follow: Additional camera calibration needed. Make sure to be in Park. Ir something like that. ??
So I need to let the car idle? Should it still be on? Because it as been sitting in park for several days now and nothing. Could it be because it is snowing a lot here? All my cameras seem to be clean and free of snow. Except for the front one when in a snow storm.
Any advice would be apreciated. Thanks!

anybody with MCU1/AP 2.0 get a retro fit? if there is a thread for that let me know. i got 6 months till my lease is up ( its a 2017) it will help me determine if I keep the car or not. I hear they are having issues whit what the retro fit kit is for ap2.0?