Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appt for HW 2.5 to 3.0 Retro tomorrow. Should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model X P100D HW 2.5 on software 2019.40.1.1. I am scheduled to go to the SC tomorrow morning to get my HW 2.5 retrofitted to 3.0. I have been hearing complaints about HW 3.0 and accompanying software and how there's not really any point in getting 3.0 yet. Should I have them do it and hope for the best or should I postpone it until they get the software right with the 3.0HW? My car is running great at the moment and I just don't want to run into any issues as far as errors, faults, beeps, etc. I tried to do a search but couldn't really find much info.

Thanks for the input.

Hi Chudiddy,

I got my 2.5 to 3.0 autopilot upgrade Tuesday (Dec 4, 2019).
It all went fine...
My software is currently 2019.36.2.2
Like my signature 2018 X100D March 6 - MCU2
I have not experienced any bizarre AP behavior or any other behavior that made me
wish I had postponed the upgrade.

Software or HW3 - I now see traffic cones...

The only issue I see so far is on the Navigate on Autopilot when I approach
a slower moving car the message is no longer shown to ask to confirm the pass.
The car just follows the slower car.
My settings are: Speed Based Lane Changes - Average
Require Lane Change Confirmation - Yes
Lane Change Notification - Grayed Out - Unable to choose

Go for it!!!

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
They are upgrading the Autopilot hardware, not the MCU. None of the settings or history would be lost.
My only experience was with our Model 3 which had a “computer replacement” (Not an upgrade) all above was lost due to a “restore failure”. I believe, the hardware architecture might be different on the model 3. No separate MCU...All in one?

Was all your data restored and intact after the upgrade?
Any issues with loss of settings, previous & favorite destinations, trip info (watts per mile)?

No loss of data or settings. Watts per mile.....? Not sure, a little confusing. Before the upgrade, during the initial start of a drive (the first few tenths of a mile) my watts per mile would start out in the high 300s or low 400s and then settle down to the low 300s as I continued to drive for a few miles. After the upgrade the "initial" watts per mile jumped to the high 500s which startled and upset me since I understood that HW3 was *more* efficient than HW2.5 and therefore should use slightly less energy. Now, two weeks later, my watts per mile seem to be largely unchanged from what they were before the upgrade. However, I have not done a lot of driving since then so I still can't say for sure that the upgrade didn't negatively affect it.

Are they only upgrading certain configurations such as mcu 2 with HW2.5? I just had my autopilot computer replaced as it wouldn't upgrade software and they swapped in another 2.5. My X has mcu 1 . My wife picked up the car so I didn't have a chance to ask questions

Hi Zjfk2,

Yes, they are only upgrading only certain configurations at this point.
I had MCU2 and HW2.5.
On my invoice I saw "Group 1 Model S and Model X (North America only)."
My car was built the first week they installed MCU2. March 6, 2018
I bought the FSD on my original purchase. I don't know if this matters or not.

Shawn

3.0 upgrade completed!
Still on 2019.40.1.1, however, now release notes mention traffic cones. See release notes below...
BE58C1A2-D387-4D01-BB92-D024CFB7A8E8.jpeg

DA459642-3350-4D00-B0B4-C4A7B8CB228A.jpeg

F83974D9-C63B-4505-AAF5-BB5483C9460B.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and Hebert