TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Appt for HW 2.5 to 3.0 Retro tomorrow. Should I?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by chudiddy, Dec 5, 2019.

1. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

I have a 2018 Model X P100D HW 2.5 on software 2019.40.1.1. I am scheduled to go to the SC tomorrow morning to get my HW 2.5 retrofitted to 3.0. I have been hearing complaints about HW 3.0 and accompanying software and how there's not really any point in getting 3.0 yet. Should I have them do it and hope for the best or should I postpone it until they get the software right with the 3.0HW? My car is running great at the moment and I just don't want to run into any issues as far as errors, faults, beeps, etc. I tried to do a search but couldn't really find much info.

Thanks for the input.

2. deemo

deemo Member

I believe my X came with 3.0 HW, I have one of the last built pre Ravens - my DW has 2.5 HW on her Model 3 - some small differences but unsure how much is due to platform. My X displays more info like traffic cones - don't know about any issues.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I’d just be sure they be sure the software is also upgraded for the new hardware. And it’s not a retrofit it’s an upgrade. :D You’re moving forward!

• Like x 2
  4. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Chudiddy,

I got my 2.5 to 3.0 autopilot upgrade Tuesday (Dec 4, 2019).
    It all went fine...
    My software is currently 2019.36.2.2
    Like my signature 2018 X100D March 6 - MCU2
    I have not experienced any bizarre AP behavior or any other behavior that made me
    wish I had postponed the upgrade.

Software or HW3 - I now see traffic cones...

The only issue I see so far is on the Navigate on Autopilot when I approach
    a slower moving car the message is no longer shown to ask to confirm the pass.
    The car just follows the slower car.
    My settings are: Speed Based Lane Changes - Average
    Require Lane Change Confirmation - Yes
    Lane Change Notification - Grayed Out - Unable to choose

Go for it!!!

Shawn

5. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

My 2018 MS100D HW2.5, MCU2 just arrived at the SC for the 3.0 upgrade.
    Currently on 2019.40.1.1

6. Holo

Holo Member

Had my S upgraded to HW3 a couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to be fine and now I can see the construction cones whereas before I couldn't.

• Like x 1
  7. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Was all your data restored and intact after the upgrade?
    Any issues with loss of settings, previous & favorite destinations, trip info (watts per mile)?

8. ek993

ek993 Member

Are you guys getting proactively notified to bring your X in for the upgrade - or its happening as part of a non related service appointment?

9. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

I’d get it done in heartbeat.

10. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

My bad on the definition... retrofit does mean upgrade. Who would have thunk from the ‘retro’ part?

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.40.2.1

They are upgrading the Autopilot hardware, not the MCU. None of the settings or history would be lost.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

Well I am here now and just handed over the keys. Ill report back once its done.

13. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

My only experience was with our Model 3 which had a “computer replacement” (Not an upgrade) all above was lost due to a “restore failure”. I believe, the hardware architecture might be different on the model 3. No separate MCU...All in one?

14. Holo

Holo Member

No loss of data or settings. Watts per mile.....? Not sure, a little confusing. Before the upgrade, during the initial start of a drive (the first few tenths of a mile) my watts per mile would start out in the high 300s or low 400s and then settle down to the low 300s as I continued to drive for a few miles. After the upgrade the "initial" watts per mile jumped to the high 500s which startled and upset me since I understood that HW3 was *more* efficient than HW2.5 and therefore should use slightly less energy. Now, two weeks later, my watts per mile seem to be largely unchanged from what they were before the upgrade. However, I have not done a lot of driving since then so I still can't say for sure that the upgrade didn't negatively affect it.

15. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

All done and completed. Haven't driven it yet but just reporting that it took about an hour to complete. Looks to maintain 2019.40.1.1 software according to the Tesla app.

16. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

Just completed a 30 mile drive home and everything calibrated within 3 miles of leaving the SC. Saw cones on the screen while driving so that was a welcoming sign. Software remained at 40.1.1 and everything drove as normal. Happy so far.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. zjfk2

zjfk2 Member

Are they only upgrading certain configurations such as mcu 2 with HW2.5? I just had my autopilot computer replaced as it wouldn't upgrade software and they swapped in another 2.5. My X has mcu 1 . My wife picked up the car so I didn't have a chance to ask questions

18. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Zjfk2,

Yes, they are only upgrading only certain configurations at this point.
    I had MCU2 and HW2.5.
    On my invoice I saw "Group 1 Model S and Model X (North America only)."
    My car was built the first week they installed MCU2. March 6, 2018
    I bought the FSD on my original purchase. I don't know if this matters or not.

Shawn

19. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

3.0 upgrade completed!
    Still on 2019.40.1.1, however, now release notes mention traffic cones. See release notes below...
    BE58C1A2-D387-4D01-BB92-D024CFB7A8E8.jpeg

DA459642-3350-4D00-B0B4-C4A7B8CB228A.jpeg

F83974D9-C63B-4505-AAF5-BB5483C9460B.jpeg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. mxnym

mxnym Member

Mostly people who have "fit" new stuff into their "retro" things, but I get where you're coming from.