Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to have enough referrals to get the Arachnid wheels from the referral program. Today I had them installed at the service center (they actually come with tires included, which is nice).
Since they are supposed to give better performance, I thought the only thing that they could do, is be lighter. So with the kind help of the service team, I was able to measure the unsprung weight difference between the arachnids and the turbines and made a short video about it.

If any of you guys know what this weight difference potentially mean in reality while driving or which "performance" effect I should be feeling, please let me know here or in the video comments. Would love to know what this weight difference could mean.

Cheers,
Steven

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to have enough referrals to get the Arachnid wheels from the referral program. Today I had them installed at the service center (they actually come with tires included, which is nice). Since they are supposed to give better performance, I thought the only thing that they could do, is be lighter. So with the kind help of the service team, I was able to measure the unsprung weight difference between the arachnids and the turbines and made a short video about it.

If any of you guys know what this weight difference potentially mean in reality while driving or which "performance" effect I should be feeling, please let me know here or in the video comments. Would love to know what this weight difference could mean.
Cheers, Steven
Steven, nice work on the video... here is a quick summary of the wheel weight comparison :cool:

Tesla Front wheel 21” x 8.5”– Kg/Lb.
  • · Turbine front – 15.8/34.8
  • · Arachnid front – 12.6/27.8
  • · Weight Savings – 3.2/7.0
Tesla Rear wheel 21” x 9.0" – Kg/Lb.
  • · Turbine rear – 16.6/36.5
  • · Arachnid rear – 13.2/29.0
  • · Weight Savings –3.4/7.5
Total Wheel Set Weight Savings - Kg/Lb.
  • · Front Savings – 2x(3.2/7.0)
  • · Rear Savings – 2x (3.4/7.5)
  • · Total Weight Savings 13.2 / 29.0 for a set of 4 wheels

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Steven, nice work on the video... here is a quick summary of the weight comparison :cool:

Tesla Front wheel 21” x 8.5”– Kg/Lb.
  • · Turbine front – 15.8/34.8
  • · Arachnid front – 12.6/27.8
  • · Weight Savings – 3.2/7.0
Tesla Rear wheel 21” x 9.0 – Kg/Lb.
  • · Turbine rear – 16.6/36.5
  • · Arachnid rear – 13.2/29.0
  • · Weight Savings –3.4/7.5
Total Wheel Set Weight Savings - Kg/Lb.
  • · Front Savings – 2x(3.2/7.0)
  • · Rear Savings – 2x (3.4/7.5)
  • · Total Weight Savings 13.2/29.0 for a set of 4 wheels
or you get the stock 19's and achieve lower unsprung weight and save $$$$ even over the Arachid wheels, especially once you add the weight of the rubber.

Weight of 19" Wheels and Tires

or you get the stock 19's and achieve lower unsprung weight and save $$$$ even over the Arachid wheels, especially once you add the weight of the rubber.

Weight of 19" Wheels and Tires
If you want to save even more weight and run a stronger, lighter wheel ... go with a Forged 19" wheel :cool:
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Did more checking and discover that the Arachnids are 6 pounds less with rubber for 4 wheel and tires verses the stock. $666.67 per pound of weight reduction (assuming $4K sale price)

21 inch Michelin PSS weigh 25 lbs in front and 27 pounds in rear...

19 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 3 weigh 26 lbs all around....

Summary
21" Archanids (staggered) with Michelin PSS
rubber: 27 lbs wheel + 25 lbs tire = 52 lbs front and 29 lbs wheel + 27 lbs tire = 56 lbs rear
Arachnid total weight = 216 lbs for four.

19"s Stockers (squares) with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 rubber: 29.5 lbs wheel + 26 lbs tire = 55.5 X 4 =
Stock 19's total weight = 222 lbs for four.

$4000 combined axle weigh of 6 pounds less of unsprung weight with the beautiful Arachnids, I did see a set of Arachnids sell for $2550 on ebay, so the price per pound could be a lot less if you get a good deal...

Last edited:
That is true, then back at parity with stock 19's with rubber added.

2.3 pounds lighter in front until you add rubber and .5 pounds lighter in rear until you add rubber. $4000 per 2.8 pound reduction!!!! - which is negated with rubber added - $4000 lipstick with nil performance gain unless you are coming from the cast 21's which are way overweight.
I agree that is why I run forged 19" wheels that are stronger, lighter and available for $200 per wheel. Best of both worlds :cool:

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I didn't know that! Shocked there aren't more forged options in 19 inch fitment then! I'm still holding out for carbon fiber wheels that are under 15 lbs in 20 x 9... been waiting two years with a deposit down!

Last edited: