Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, look at that!
@TheTron my car is Vin177xxx produced these days a year ago, a pure AP2 car.
Yours?
Any smart preconditioning involved?

I’m Vin 168xxx Nov 16. Smart preconditioning is off, always connected on, energy saving off, firmware 2017.50.2.

It does seem that some heating of the B pillar is occurring though less dramatic than in the model 3. I’d say there’s a good chance it would be enough to stop any ice/snow from building up while driving though. I’m looking forward to these cameras actually doing something, I’ve been carrying them around everywhere for nearly a year now :)

Come to think of it... It could be the build quality or insulation around the B-pillar cameras in S/X vs 3 that makes the difference. Maybe Model 3's B-pillar cameras have a better insulated area behind and around them, so that the camera heating is more focused directly outwards on the glass. In other words, more of the heat from S/X's cameras 'leak inwards'?

Or something thereabout.

(Could even the thermal conductivity of the structural material of the B-pillar itself make a difference? Aluminium in S/X, vs steel in 3? )

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Here are pictures I took earlier this year.
Fil 30.12.2017, 16 13 13 (Custom).jpeg Fil 30.12.2017, 16 13 44 (Custom).jpeg
I am not sure if the B-pillars have dedicated heating, if it has its very weak compared to the repeaters and triple cam:
2017-12-30 15.24.38-1.jpg

2017-12-30 16.03.17.jpg

2017-12-30 15.24.38.jpg

...I was impressed with the tri cam though, check out the pic!

View attachment 269735
View attachment 269737

I too was impressed that the car, plugged in, appeared to have cleared the overnight accumulated snow from the windshield camera cluster and additionally the overhead ultrasonic sensor (see pics).

I posit these thermal emissions (conceivably anticipated by tesla) are more a function of the components consuming electricity & expending waste heat
(particularly the camera cluster, you may have seen internal heat sink(s) in other postings) as a (beneficial in this case) side effect.

Trapping a camera in an enclosure & running (even low) power to it, is likely to have a finite thermal impact to the enclosure & its thermally conductive (glass) boundary.
For whatever reason, these components (ultrasonic sensors, cameras) may be sporadically energized when various car systems cycle while parked/locked.
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg

My backup camera is now staying clean despite rain/snow/sleet/hail/salted roads. I'm not sure what they did with 2018.12 but the image is slightly clearer and wider but the camera itself doesn't focus on the grime on the lens. I've not cleaned it in 2 weeks and I usually touch it up after every storm (we've had 4 snow storms and 2 rain storms). I even went in a bit of mud and somehow that washed off and didn't leave a visible film or spot.

I meant, in an humorous way, that it is not credible he got his BUC lens physically upgraded over the air:
I even went in a bit of mud and somehow that washed off and didn't leave a visible film or spot.

I deliberately didn’t put a smiley to it, because in case I misunderstood him (I sometimes do), I do mean in a serious way that it’s fantastic if they software upgraded the sensor/chip or display so that the image looks better on the 17” than before.

So I guess I meant both kinds of «incredible», depending on what he meant. (Failed joke or honest response, I’ll let u pick.)

Last edited:
My backup camera is now staying clean despite rain/snow/sleet/hail/salted roads. I'm not sure what they did with 2018.12 but the image is slightly clearer and wider but the camera itself doesn't focus on the grime on the lens. I've not cleaned it in 2 weeks and I usually touch it up after every storm (we've had 4 snow storms and 2 rain storms). I even went in a bit of mud and somehow that washed off and didn't leave a visible film or spot.

This is my experience too. I used to have to clean the BUC on my P85 pretty much before every drive. The BUC on my Mar '17 90D has had to be manually cleaned once.

I meant, in an humorous way, that it is not credible he got his BUC lens physically upgraded over the air:

I deliberately didn’t put a smiley to it, because in case I misunderstood him (I sometimes do), I do mean in a serious way that it’s fantastic if they software upgraded the sensor/chip or display so that the image looks better on the 17” than before.

So I guess I meant both kinds of «incredible», depending on what he meant. (Failed joke or honest response, I’ll let u pick.)

I'm trying to find a real cause for this but other than the fact Tesla last washed my car, nothing had changed other than firmware which definitely changed the image slightly because I see more of my license plate now. Not sure but buc seems to heat better which is why I posted in this thread.