TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are there orphan Model S at Freemont factory for sale?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MrIanB, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MrIanB

MrIanB Member

Going down to San Jose next week and was wondering if there are any orphan Model S at the factory for sale that people backed out at the last moment? If so, is there a way/link online to view that inventory? May swing by and buy from inventory vs ordering if I see one that meets my needs.

ian B

2. markb1

markb1 Active Member

3. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Be careful if you buy on the spot. Word on the street is that if you don't finalize everything in 20 days - insurance, registration, tax, Texas will slap you with another 5% (if you register it here).

Just food for thought (or vomiting).

4. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

While supercharging there yesterday, I checked out the loaner/demo cars which are also for sale with stickers posted in windows. I saw 3 (there may be more). A 60, a blue P85+, and a grey fully loaded P85+ with grey wheels and parking sensors. The latter was the nicest looking to me (striking in fact) and as I recall it has black leather (red piping) interior and body armor.

5. texex91

texex91 Banned

Curious as to selling prices...

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

IIRC, it's full price minus $1 per mile on the odometer.

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

Uh, no thanks. Would order--it's like buying a rental car. We all know how careful we are with rental cars.

I'd stay FAR away from this deal.

My .02.

8. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

But why would you care? Full warranty covers anything doesnt it?

9. texex91

texex91 Banned

So do rental car warranties, but not interested.

I like mint and fresh off factory floor--not left overs. But that's just me. $1 off for every mile--no thanks.

10. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

It might be worth it. I got a loaner P85+ last week for a day (nice car), and it was throttled at 80 mph. If that is common practice, then at least you have one thing less to worry about.
    I have had a few loaner cars since April, and have treated every single one of them the same as my own. They're too beautiful to mistreat!

11. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

It's always a tough consideration.

I've bought dealer demonstrators (cars the owners/employees have driven) all my life, only because the savings were tremendous (always much, much better than any discount -- even my GM employee discount!) and because the dealerships have historically taken care of them. My Suburban was purchased with 6,000 miles or so for about a 20% discount, for example.

I have also purchased former rental cars in the past when there was a good deal - my wife's car was a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. I negotiated a 25% discount from blue book value at about a year old (18k miles), and she drove that car for 6 years and put 120,000 miles on it. The only failure of that car was a BCM (body control module, computer that controlled interior stuff) that failed near the end of its life.

As for Tesla's pricing, though, I would not go for it -- it's not enough of a discount to me. It's not that I don't trust drivers of Model S (I think that Model S loaners are likely given far better care than your average rental car). If a loaner has 6,000 miles, a discount of 5% just isn't enough, IMO. Then again, Tesla doesn't seem to have problems with demand right now as long as they keep drawing new attention through things like the NHSTA results, etc. They'll likely have to change the pricing in the future, I believe.

12. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

When I was buying my replacement Model S, the Tesla representative I was working with was able to pull up an inventory of new cars destined to be service vehicles or loaners. Some were new and hadn't left the factory yet. Some were en route to their final destinations and some had entered the fleet already.

YMMV as to whether the sales person can access these to sell to you (my situation may have been unique) or the size of the pool of cars to select from.

13. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

The sales rep can pull the list to your specs (it's a long list).
    Some are brand new and some are used. But the used cars are only $1 off per mile (not worth it if you ask me).

14. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Rental cars tend to be getting up into the tens of thousands of miles when they're sold (IIRC most companies keep them for ~30k?) but the biggest complaint about Tesla loaners is that they're selling so fast that folks with cars in for service get given Enterprise rentals. IOW, very low mileage on the Teslas and not to forget they're speed limited while they are loaned out.

16. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

Where these cars previously titled? If so, how is the tax credit accounted for (if at all)

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The only ones I've seen are in FL and they had manufacturer tags. I've no idea how the tax credit is handled.

18. deonb

deonb Active Member

They were supposed to be discounted $1 per mile AND 1% per month. Did this not materialize?

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

There was a prior report from someone who bought a "fleet car" from Tesla indicating that it's titled as a *new* car sale from the manufacturer and hence eligible for the federal tax credit.

20. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

The loaners and demo cars have never been titled so they all qualify for tax credits.