Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Argelius: Questions before placing my order.... tell me what I should change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a somewhat steep driveway so I was worried about this. The sales guy I talked to said that the standard suspension was as high as the suspension on my husband's BMW 550, which has been no problem for us. That made me feel good about going with the standard suspension.

Since you already have a frame of reference to work with, call sales and ask how the standard Tesla suspension compares to your existing vehicle. I don't see any actual clearance measurements online with a quick search.

Coming from a 370z which scraped the driveway (unless I cut the wheel just right and took it super slow), I started putting the MS's air suspenion in high or highest. After a few times forgetting and not having an issue, I don't bother any more. The fact that I scraped the Z all the time was my primary reason for getting the air-suspension, but it turns out I don't need to raise up the car when pulling out. HOWEVER!- the ride on the MS with the air suspension is SO SMOOTH. I've never had a car that handled speed bumps as well, and it's such a comfortable and tight ride. I haven't driven in a MS with standard suspension, so I have no comparison, but I love the way the air suspension rides.

Coming from a 370z which scraped the driveway (unless I cut the wheel just right and took it super slow), I started putting the MS's air suspenion in high or highest. After a few times forgetting and not having an issue, I don't bother any more. The fact that I scraped the Z all the time was my primary reason for getting the air-suspension, but it turns out I don't need to raise up the car when pulling out. HOWEVER!- the ride on the MS with the air suspension is SO SMOOTH. I've never had a car that handled speed bumps as well, and it's such a comfortable and tight ride. I haven't driven in a MS with standard suspension, so I have no comparison, but I love the way the air suspension rides.

It's interesting. I'm in the same situation (really close, used to always set suspension to high leaving the driveway but after forgetting a few times I don't bother now). After reading this thread I went out and looked at the rubber piece mentioned above. Sure enough, if I lean way down and look at the bottom I can see it's actually quite scraped up. However, it seems to be designed to be able to take it and I think because it's rubber I don't hear any scraping sound when I leave the driveway. Since it's already all scraped up I'll probably still not bother to raise the suspension leaving the driveway.

we use the air suspension every day to get in and out of our steep driveway. it's also nice for any extra high spots. the ride and cornering of the air suspension is fantastic. the standard suspension is pretty good, I just wouldn't call it fantastic.

Last edited:
In honor of my order, I've changed my avatar (revealing my inner geek)

TESLA.jpg

Never been this excited about a car.

I remain humbled to be in a position that this car is an option for me.

Live long.

It's tough to get good comparisons on the suspension I think. It's hard to say whether the standard suspension will clear your driveway or not. As to your third question though, I was in the same situation. 2 out of 3 sales people told me essentially that the standard suspension is fine unless you need the extra height to get up a steep driveway or something. Since my driveway is flat, it wasn't a concern for me. I can tell you, however, that I got to drive a car with air suspension and 21" wheels and a car with standard suspension and 19" wheels and I think the standard suspension with 19" wheels rode better. Obviously the wheel size plays a big part, but it was enough to convince me the extra money for the air wasn't worth it for me. The standard suspension rides really well. :)

The air suspension also hunkers down into its low mode on the highway (after going 55mph or faster for a few minutes). This is certainly lower than the height of the standard suspension. I can feel an improvement in handling after the Model S goes into Low mode.

I use High and Very High more often than I thought I would. That said, Tesla did a really nice job of placing sacrificial plastic barriers on the underside of the Model S, even on the lowest part of the battery.

> sacrificial plastic barriers on the underside of the Model S, even on the lowest part of the battery. [ToddRLockwood]

I thought they were part of the 'ground effects' airflow low riding scheme. Do they help the rear ride up over curbs as well?

HIGH or VERY HIGH positions are amazing in how they avoid scraping the ground or vegetation. Could _ not _ live _ without!!
--

I use High and Very High more often than I thought I would. That said, Tesla did a really nice job of placing sacrificial plastic barriers on the underside of the Model S, even on the lowest part of the battery.

I use High for going into grass lots (at the drive-in, for example), dirt roads, etc. etc. I really like the air suspension High mode for that.

If you drive only on manicured asphalt roads, you probably don't need it.

Last edited:
> sacrificial plastic barriers on the underside of the Model S, even on the lowest part of the battery. [ToddRLockwood]

I thought they were part of the 'ground effects' airflow low riding scheme. Do they help the rear ride up over curbs as well?

There may have been some thought about the shape of the plastic underside parts, but the important point is that they are relatively inexpensive to replace. For example, the underside of the front bumper cover is a separate plastic piece. Replacing it will be much cheaper than repainting the whole bumper cover.

Last edited:
OMG. I am driving myself insane. I guess Tesla does this to people.

I'm set on the exterior color --grey.

But now, after deciding on a gray interior, I'm second guessing myself. I'm avoiding black, which I love, because every car I've had over the past 15 years has been black. I'm wondering if gray is too "cold". Beige I've always avoided .. But when I see pics of the beige interior, it's growing on me.

just shoot me now...or someone tell me what to do!

Fortunately, I am 150% confident that I'm going to love whatever I get....but heeeeeellllllpppppppp....