Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's rare for the real "prestige" newspapers to ever report on Tesla, and yet here's a wild card from The Washington Post of all things.

As Tesla races to meet Model 3 deadline, factory pressures and suspicions grow
it's more the comments section is inundated with fossil fuel industry trolls. fossil fuel indiustry is well over $2.3 Trillion per _year_. rent seekers vs free sunlight and wind 1x cost

Hopefully the local EV club will set them straight by just giving dispassionate facts as they have been around close to 40 years Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, DC | Promoting electric vehicles as an environmental and energy alternative

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Business Insider is a click-house located in a circus tent.

A couple years ago Matthew DeBord was loaned a P90D, which he used to take his family on a camping trip.
  1. He deliberately didn't charge the car fully.
  2. He ignored the warnings to charge.
  3. And then he nearly ran out of gas ... er, electricity (as he put it), and stranded his family while he waited for a 120V to trickle charge.
  4. Also .. no mention of the P90D's performance.
Pictures have all been deleted, presumably to protect the innocent (his family) from the stupidity (his).
We took a Tesla Model S on a road trip and learned the hard way how it's different from every other car
i remember that article, it was infuriating. he’s been fair at times, and loves tesla cars. but he pounds musk and tesla as a company. kinda leaning towards “thumbs down” for him ( i guess the emoji didn’t work the first time)

Last edited:
Business Insider is a click-house located in a circus tent.

A couple years ago Matthew DeBord was loaned a P90D, which he used to take his family on a camping trip.
  1. He deliberately didn't charge the car fully.
  2. He ignored the warnings to charge.
  3. And then he nearly ran out of gas ... er, electricity (as he put it), and stranded his family while he waited for a 120V to trickle charge.
  4. Also .. no mention of the P90D's performance.
Pictures have all been deleted, presumably to protect the innocent (his family) from the stupidity (his).
We took a Tesla Model S on a road trip and learned the hard way how it's different from every other car

I've been reading plenty of Tesla hit pieces on BI and noticed Matthew DeBord is behind many of them. I just wrote a response piece to debunk his latest hit piece on the Model 3 GA Tent quoting fan favorites such as Bob Lutz. I submitted it last night so as soon as SA publishes it i'll send you guys the link.

it's more the comments section is inundated with fossil fuel industry trolls. fossil fuel indiustry is well over $2.3 Trillion per _year_. rent seekers vs free sunlight and wind 1x cost

Hopefully the local EV club will set them straight by just giving dispassionate facts as they have been around close to 40 years Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, DC | Promoting electric vehicles as an environmental and energy alternative

As a member of EVADC, I will be sure to bring this up at our next meeting, as well as start an online discussion about it now.

It looks like during the run-up to next week, we got another Dana Hull special on Bloomberg.
The Future of Tesla Hinges on This Gigantic Tent

The tale of Tesla's Tent may one day be remembered in much the same way the tale is remembered of the Boeing 737, the most successful commercial jetliner of all time with over 10,000 made which is still in active production today.

An In-depth Look at Boeing’s Very First 737 - Airways Magazine

The assembly building at Plant 2 wasn’t tall enough for the 737’s vertical stabilizer, so it had to be attached by crane in the plant’s parking lot, then rolled down to the Thompson Site (where 392 additional 737s were built). This tail attachment process continued for the first eight 737s built.

At the time, Renton was at capacity with the 707 and 727 production. After 271 aircraft, production was moved to Renton in late 1970.

More BS. Don't click through. Linette Lopez at Business Insider.

Elon Musk ordered Tesla engineers to stop doing a critical brake test on Model 3s

It's quite clear this was a redundant test which was being done in a time-critical section of the production line, so they're now doing the critical version of the test at a later time. Totally reasonable. But reported as if it were a safety issue, because FUD, propaganda, disinformation.

Here's an unusual hit piece: 'All humanity has left the area': paying for Tesla's Gigafactory
Basically blames the Gigafactory for poverty in northern Nevada.
I wouldn't call this a hit piece. Tesla as the spearhead of the renewed economical surge around northern Nevada is "responsible" for the surge in property prices and greater economic activity. That doesn't imply that Tesla is responsible for the lack of cheaper housing options. Sparks wanted the increase in property values and now they are getting it. The negative consequences of that policy is something that is the responsibility of the city and the state to handle somehow. Certain tax breaks and credits means Tesla's gigafactory wont directly pay for that with increased tax revenue, at least yet.
If the city of Sparks have written off people with fixed incomes, then in some ways that is what's happepening around SF as well with FANG drastically increasing property values there too. Making sure the destitute don't pay for the needed economic growth probably could be handled better in Sparks, but that is a basic policy issue that the UK Guardian thinks is handled better in the UK or other parts of Euopre than in the US. I agree with the Guardian here, and they say it well, a low tax - low services state doesn't work well with big corporate tax breaks.

Cobos

Here's an unusual hit piece: 'All humanity has left the area': paying for Tesla's Gigafactory
Basically blames the Gigafactory for poverty in northern Nevada.

This is the norm when a large employer moves into a depressed area or expands an existing operation significantly. It's also happening around Hood River, OR right now. Just to the north in the small town of Bingen, WA there is a Boeing subsidiary that develops drone technology. It's been there for more than a decade (in fact Boeing bought out the original company). In the last couple of years Boeing has started a major expansion at the plant and it's had a major impact on housing for many miles around including the largest city in the area Hood River (which is still a fairly small town).

Those who were living on the cheap in small towns around the area are finding it increasingly more difficult to keep a roof over their heads, especially renters. My SO's ex (they're still friends) lives in one of those towns and fortunately he took his inheritance from his mother and bought a house. If he was renting he'd be homeless, his income is very modest. He has a private mortgage from the original owner who is kicking herself because if she had waited another year she could have gotten 50% more for the house.

The state of Nevada is getting all sorts of new income from the influx of well paid workers and probably some from Tesla (I know Tesla has a deal with the state for lowered taxes for a while). They should take some of the extra income and put in back into low income housing in Sparks and other towns in the area.

Washington and Oregon has their hands tied in the case of the Boeing plant because the surrounding area is about 90% National Forest and a National Scenic Area and getting more land to build housing is difficult. But while there may be a lot of federal land around there, it doesn't usually carry the level of protection the Columbia Gorge does (except military land).

Reactions: neroden
So, the FUD's turning up to 11:

(This is electrek, he's reporting *on* another article)
Tesla Model S fails auto braking test, Tesla questions validity of the test

So someone paid the Luxembourg auto testing agency to do a weird, rigged test. (I'm guessing Volvo, but can't prove it.)

They tested a brand new prototype 2018 Volvo with a bunch of extra cameras and computers) and showed that it can stop for a mockup cutout with a car rear printed on it.

They then "tested" an obsolete 2015 Model S (with the Mobileye hardware) -- where the AEB is only supposed to "reduce the severity of an impact" and is NOT supposed to prevent a crash. The 2015 Model S performed as advertised, and hit the cutout at low speed, reducing the severity of the impact. They advertised this as a "failed test", without mentioning that they were using an obsolete version of the car.

They invited press for this stunt, but didn't invite Tesla.

Tesla requested the details of the test protocol and were refused.

So, the dirty tricks are getting quite serious now. I suspect Luxembourg was chosen for the bribability of their auto testing agency, since this is obviously a rigged test.

So, the FUD's turning up to 11:

(This is electrek, he's reporting *on* another article)
Tesla Model S fails auto braking test, Tesla questions validity of the test

So someone paid the Luxembourg auto testing agency to do a weird, rigged test. (I'm guessing Volvo, but can't prove it.)

They tested a brand new prototype 2018 Volvo with a bunch of extra cameras and computers) and showed that it can stop for a mockup cutout with a car rear printed on it.

They then "tested" an obsolete 2015 Model S (with the Mobileye hardware) -- where the AEB is only supposed to "reduce the severity of an impact" and is NOT supposed to prevent a crash. The 2015 Model S performed as advertised, and hit the cutout at low speed, reducing the severity of the impact. They advertised this as a "failed test", without mentioning that they were using an obsolete version of the car.

They invited press for this stunt, but didn't invite Tesla.

Tesla requested the details of the test protocol and were refused.

So, the dirty tricks are getting quite serious now. I suspect Luxembourg was chosen for the bribability of their auto testing agency, since this is obviously a rigged test.
My experience with the 2015 AP1 hardware AEB system is it works very well, and might possibly have saved my life. Summer of 2017 we were way too late out of Hamburg and needed to get to Kiel in time to reach the ferry. Lots of construction on A1 or A7 (can't remember which one we actually ended up on trying to avoid crazy queues in Hamburg got us turned around), and we were really running late. Finally we get out of construction zones and into a no-speed limit of autobahn. We're doing about 180km/h (110mph) in the leftmost lane in a 3 lane autobahn stretch. The car in front is not moving away and we are way too close in an effort to get him to move to the right. Yes in hindsight that was pretty stupid. Anyway in the rightmost lane a semitruck jumps to the middle lane to pass some other semis and a car from the middle lane jumps to the leftmost one doing maybe 120-130km/h. So the car in front of me brakes hard and by the time I move my foot from the accelerator to the brake I notice that the pedal is already depressed and the car is seriously braking. Alarms and everything goes off as well of course. And beause of the help from the AEB I do manage to not rearend the car in front and I arrive safely in Kiel.
So TLDR, AEB works well in reallife situations on AP1.

Cobos

ILNAS, the org that did the test, appears to be Luxembourg's standards agency. Do they usually test cars? I couldn't find any other published auto tests they had performed. Their website doesn't appear to mention cars, but I cannot read French or whatever language the site is in. Seems kinda weird Luxembourg would have their own auto testing agency, due to small population. I'd think they'd use EU tests.

Jaguar has also made some "ads" for YouTube that look like fan made videos, but they are too slick for videos made by the public. They demonstrate how much better the iPace is over the Model X. Ignoring over all the iPace's limitations vs the X.

With their own EVs coming out, a number of European automakers are going to be working hard to trash Tesla compared to their cars. It will probably help them sell some cars in Europe. The CCS charging infrastructure will probably be better in Europe by the time a lot of these European EVs hit the market and those brands will have the home advantage to those who would prefer to buy from a company based closer to home.

Norway denies holding up Tesla move to improve service

Norway government says Elon is wrong and they aren't holding up anything. Tesla hasn't applied for the permits they claim are holding up service fulfillment.

Norway has rejected a suggestion it is holding up Tesla's (TSLA.O) efforts to improve service in its third-biggest market, saying the electric carmaker has not yet applied to use the mobile service vans it says it needs to solve its problems.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk last week blamed a wait for government approval in Norway, its biggest market after the United States and China, for not being able to move faster in addressing growing complaints from consumers.

The Norwegian Consumer Council said on July 4 Tesla had climbed to fourth place in the first six months of 2018 in the list of companies Norwegians complain about the most, up from 24th in 2017.​

a rare breath of fresh air on Seeking Alpha, by Randy Carlson, an engineer, with an engineer's mindset
upload_2018-7-18_9-54-7.png

Tesla Fires A Shot Across The Bow - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

ie. Tesla is whomping the competition and taking share away from comparables, and the Model 3 will accelerate the change with less expensive vehicles, eating there lunch, and desserts

Reactions: oneday and ggies07
Untitled.png

This picture and headline is in the front page of CNN. This is not even FUD. This is a totally fabricated headline that has little correlation to the content inside, to give the most negative slant.

If you click on that article, the headline changes to:

"24% cancellations on reservations".

Which was the same news that circulated a month or two ago. And the accompany video is an old one too which recycles the same FUD about quality, unable to manufacture in volume and stuff.

And what is worse is the 2nd part of that headline, "It just can't sell them', which is total lie. That implies at 5k/week they are now stacking up cars in their lot and unable to sell them. Which means you could go walk over and pick up one tomorrow, which we know is not the reality today.

In fact the contents of the article says, exactly the opposite: the wait is still several months, SR reservation holders need to wait much longer - which implies even at this increased production rate they have a ton of backlog.

I am generally used to seeing this level of LYING and making stuff with outfits like foxnews. Now there is generally a race between Business Insider, CNBC, Reuters, WP, WSJ, LAT on who can lie the most on Tesla, without any care. CNN has joined the fray.

This is sick. For now I say these are pimps of the media world, but that doesn't do justice to characterize these monkeys.

Last edited: