Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this is sort of off-topic, even for this thread, but I had to vent somewhere.

This morning while exercising I caught an ad for some humungous ICE SUV (Lincoln? GM? Can't remember). The series with Matthew McConaughey doing irrelevant things. Anyway, it shows a screen with checkboxes for things like "lane keeping" (off by default). At the end of the ad, they call it "co-pilot".

Now lots of people give Tesla grief over calling their thing "autopilot". I'm a (real) pilot. There is a big difference between an autopilot and a co-pilot. When I'm flying, I can engage the autopilot, and my job becomes more about monitoring the overall situation and less about making minor adjustments to lanekeeping and speed. When there are two of us in the plane, me and my copilot (or maybe I'm the copilot) we can share tasks, partition tasks, catch each other's mistakes, but unless the autopilot is also engaged, someone is still doing all that minor stuff. And either of us is perfectly capable of taking over the entire operation of the plane.

So, autopilot is a much more correct term than copilot.

/vent

sometimes articles on other sites are positive
" .......A reason given for Tesla's design success with the Model 3 cooling system is the company's ability to engineer the entire car as a whole, unencumbered by internal engineering fiefdoms found within legacy carmakers. Similar integrated engineering is seen in other aspects of the Model 3 design that enhance performance and range while reducing Tesla's costs.

The challenge and excitement of working in Tesla's wide-ranging engineering environment has attracted top engineering talent to Tesla, and the culture at Tesla has allowed the engineering team to deliver exceptional performance and lower costs on Model 3 systems (except the BIW).

The component and system fiefdoms at legacy carmakers constrain or prevent whole vehicle design optimizations. These fiefdoms are inherent to legacy carmakers and result from the dealer business model and associated need to standardize components across a wide variety of vehicles. Absent dramatic changes to legacy carmaker business models, the imperative to standardize components and resulting internal engineering fiefdoms will limit the ability of these companies to match Tesla designs.

Tesla is able to focus engineering effort across the entire vehicle, unencumbered by internal fiefdoms. This situation is the result of the company's focus on electric vehicles, and it makes Tesla both different from competing legacy companies and very special.

Tesla enjoys a significant competitive advantage in the ability to optimize their car designs absent the impediments posed by internal engineering fiefdoms. This advantage both results in better car designs and creates an engineering environment that attracts top engineering talent. Because legacy competitors have internal engineering fiefdoms that result naturally from their business models Tesla's advantage is likely to be durable for the foreseeable future. And this makes Tesla special and provides a strong moat against competition....."

and

".....By considering the whole of the car rather than fiefdom isolated components Tesla achieves simplicity and elegance that translate into more performance, better range and lower costs......"

sometimes SA has a decent article, just avoid the comments (we enter the swamp so you don't have to)
Is Tesla Special? - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha
conclusion, yes for the forseeable future

Last edited:
By gum, I found it. From Mar 10, 2013.

And so, as promised:

If it weren't such an execrable photo, it certainly could be a hit in the Meme-World

IMG_0241.JPG

Fudsters are resorting to outright lying again with this article.
See what the IHS Markit Score report has to say about Tesla Inc.

It understates the number of shares short as being 10-15% (currently about 21%), and calls this "moderately high" when it is proportionally the most shorted stock on the market.

"ETF activity is negative" followed by "net inflows of $1.52 ... into ETFs that hold TSLA". Directly contradictory.

I found this article surpassing strange. Tesla reduced the price of its cars by $1100. Oddly enough, Daniel Sparks of the Motley Fool seemed to think it was a GOOD thing that Tesla did this, as he says it brought Tesla a step closer to its goal of a $35,000 Model 3. A puzzling perspective, to be sure.

Well-meaning but misguided soul that he is, he did not raise any fears that this price reduction might mean demand for Model 3 is crumbling; nor did he predict the imminent demise of the company. He did not even lambast its CEO for suggesting that the new price for the lowest cost model, with incentives and gas savings, could be had for that mythical $35,000 figure.

This poor creature obviously has not been properly schooled by the masters of Tesla reporting. Pillars of the journalistic community like Linette Lopez, Russ Mitchell, Lora Kolodny and the like (I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they are discovered by the Pulitzer committee).

Nonetheless, I found reading it to be a simple pleasure. A reminder of a bygone era when you could click on an article and read about, well, facts. Tesla Moves Closer to Its Promised $35,000 Model 3 -- The Motley Fool

Dana Hull should win some kind of award for this Bloomberg article headline (assuming she wrote it). The actual news of course is the release of the $35k Model 3. Somehow that didn't end up in the headline.

Musk Pledges Belt-Tightening as Tesla Cuts Prices, Warns of Loss

In my mind, that beats out last year's Bloomberg headline: "Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 Will Now Cost You $78,000". They later edited the headline (maybe Tesla rightfully complained?) to "Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 Could Now Cost You $78,000". Still false but doesn't sound as bad.

Dana Hull should win some kind of award for this Bloomberg article headline (assuming she wrote it). The actual news of course is the release of the $35k Model 3. Somehow that didn't end up in the headline.

Musk Pledges Belt-Tightening as Tesla Cuts Prices, Warns of Loss

In my mind, that beats out last year's Bloomberg headline: "Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 Will Now Cost You $78,000". They later edited the headline (maybe Tesla rightfully complained?) to "Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 Could Now Cost You $78,000". Still false but doesn't sound as bad.

My understanding is Dana and other reporters might propose headlines, but editors tend to write them. So even an unbiased, well-reported article can be led by a slanted headline - and maybe a slanted summary blurb as well, when those exist.