Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think Elon is wrong here. But imo being wrong once in a while is not the end of the world.
Being wrong isn't the problem. Being wrong and aggressively advertising it on Twitter is a clear sign of lack of personal discipline and judgment, consistent with similar behavior over the last 3 years.

A proper way for someone in that position would be write a note privately to Apple executives saying something like,

"Please build a firm user preference off-switch which you will guarantee legally no data leaks to OpenAI or any other contractor, and that this can be set as a corporate management setting. This will be necessary to preserve my company's information security and have my security team feel comfortable recommending Apple products. I'm sure I'm far from the only one who will have concerns. Historically Apple has been pro-security and pro-privacy more than other technology firms, and I trust you will want to maintain that reputation.

best
Elon"

Then the response will be from a product manager saying that "it's already built in, or its on the roadmap for public release and we share your concerns."

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Being wrong isn't the problem. Being wrong and aggressively advertising it on Twitter is a clear sign of lack of personal discipline and judgment, consistent with similar behavior over the last 3 years.
Prefer that people who are wrong discuss it on twitter so they can be less wrong over time. My guess that is a short discussion with Karpathy has calmed him down now. Let's check back in a few days. Also in a few years we will not remember this specific event, but we will definitely be having the privacy and AI debate.

Depending on what you look for you will see consistence/inconsistence in his behaviour. Elon gonna Elon, that's what makes him successful, if you don't like it then don't invest in his companies.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Elon gonna Elon, that's what makes him successful, if you don't like it then don't invest in his companies.
My problem is that he changed, very significantly. Before about 2020 I thought he was a good business leader and worth investing with. Now I fear he will seriously damage or kill the only new Western car maker that has a chance of defending against the upcoming Chinese.

I fear that he's getting bored and needs ever more stimulation and moving on to something new and with less discipline and willing to listen to other smart people.

My problem is that he changed, very significantly. Before about 2020 I thought he was a good business leader and worth investing with. Now I fear he will seriously damage or kill the only new Western car maker that has a chance of defending against the upcoming Chinese.

I fear that he's getting bored and needs ever more stimulation and moving on to something new and with less discipline and willing to listen to other smart people.
Ok, sell your stocks.

And I really don't think he is bored. Optimus, Dojo vs nVidia, Cybercab 8/8, FSD China, 25k Model and AGI race with OpenAI for the stake of humanity. Doubt he finds that boring...

I realize that if we actually read what Musk wrote

IF(Apple integrates OpenAI at the OS level) -> Apple devices will be banned at my companies.

So I guess this could be a subconscious shadow drama seeking aspie talk, where what he writes is technically correct, but neurotypicals will interpret as something else. He is not saying that he will ban Apple devices with what was announced at WWDC, just that he will draw the line if OpenAI in the future would get access to user private data. Which Apple probably would never allow.

• Love
Reactions: Tiger