Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great writeup by none other than Bill Gates on AI:

I’ve never liked Gates and I am a contemporary, so that’s going back a lot of years. Right at the beginning of the article he says there have been two huge computer developments. GUIs and now AI. He missed two biggies. Microprocessors and the minor thing called the Internet. Gates was always a third rate technologist IMHO.

Some of his quotes: “But achievement in math is going down across the country, especially for Black, Latino, and low-income students. AI can help turn that trend around.”

He gives no reasoning how AI can help. In fact AI is much more likely to make the problem worse. When the AI can solve everything for you, why put in the effort to learn math?

He touts GPT as being a co-pilot to help white collar workers. In reality, it will quickly become a replacement.

Anyways, AI will certainly change society!

I’ve never liked Gates and I am a contemporary, so that’s going back a lot of years. Right at the beginning of the article he says there have been two huge computer developments. GUIs and now AI. He missed two biggies. Microprocessors and the minor thing called the Internet. Gates was always a third rate technologist IMHO.

Some of his quotes: “But achievement in math is going down across the country, especially for Black, Latino, and low-income students. AI can help turn that trend around.”

He gives no reasoning how AI can help. In fact AI is much more likely to make the problem worse. When the AI can solve everything for you, why put in the effort to learn math?

He touts GPT as being a co-pilot to help white collar workers. In reality, it will quickly become a replacement.

I find a software billionaire who spends all of his time improving the planet through philanthropy a source of inspired thought and perspective. It just isn't the only single source of thought and perspective I'm learning from either. It's kinda weird to dismiss, literally, free information/perspective from a good source.

I find a software billionaire who spends all of his time improving the planet through philanthropy a source of inspired thought and perspective. It just isn't the only single source of thought and perspective I'm learning from either. It's kinda weird to dismiss, literally, free information/perspective from a good source.
It is not weird if you don’t agree with the analysis. I gave a couple of examples where Gates is probably wrong. I’ll freely admit being biased against Gates since I’ve seen him being wrong on many, many things since about 1980, so that’s like 43 years of being wrong. 640K memory limit, Basic as a good computer language, Excel macros, missing the importance of the Internet, Microsoft Explorer which was the bane of every web developer’s existence for 10+ years, all versions of Windows until 8.0 which gave us the blue screen of death, print drivers that still don’t work properly today, Zune which was a big strategic error (Gates thought you could extend the software on generic hardware through to music players and phones … you could not, or at least Microsoft could not).

It is not weird if you don’t agree with the analysis. I gave a couple of examples where Gates is probably wrong. I’ll freely admit being biased against Gates since I’ve seen him being wrong on many, many things since about 1980, so that’s like 43 years of being wrong. 640K memory limit, Basic as a good computer language, Excel macros, missing the importance of the Internet, Microsoft Explorer which was the bane of every web developer’s existence for 10+ years, all versions of Windows until 8.0 which gave us the blue screen of death, print drivers that still don’t work properly today, Zune which was a big strategic error (Gates thought you could extend the software on generic hardware through to music players and phones … you could not, or at least Microsoft could not).

Well, I suppose agree to disagree. What a person says vs their actions matter a bunch to me. He might be publicly wrong on a lot of technologies, but he also has similar company in others who are very important people too:

• Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Well, I suppose agree to disagree. What a person says vs their actions matter a bunch to me. He might be publicly wrong on a lot of technologies, but he also has similar company in others who are very important people too:

I understand that Gates is controversial. I have watched him closely for decades and never found much of use beyond excellent marketing and excellent use of the legal system.

Perhaps it was Balmer’s influence or his own nature but his life arc became a story of the exercise of ruthless power and control in opposition and suppression of technological advancement.

I don’t follow in lockstep with Elon but he is very kind with his words re Gates IMO.

Those of us who are really old sometimes have direct confirmation of your point of view. When the summary version of what became MS-DOS became widely known via:
That all happened in 1980-1981 when I was at SRI working on using LISP to develop an expert system for commercial lending that ended out in production at a large bank following successes in mineral exploration (Prospector). Since desktop computers were happening we, like nearly everyone, were trying to find a distributed system. CP/M and DEC were the first choices.

I had, a decade before, worked with one of the IBM 360-195 that were essentially prototypes for the 370 series. When the PC was in development they had still a deeply ingrained mainframeitis and thought IMS-fast path was efficient. Bill Gates could talk with them in pseudo-developer terms and could also negotiate cheap license fees with the same skills. That made him a billionaire. He failed to understand the Internet, and much else but he could sell.
Anything he ever has said about technology has been superficial and derivative. Being a spectacular opportunist and salesman has nothing to do with new approaches.

In this thread we’re trying to understand what is coming, or maybe even what is already here. From my admittedly obsolete view I have kept monitoring developments. Hence I consider what has happened to OpenAI, FSD, and Neuralink. Then I think about the proliferation of bots, worldwide extremism disseminated in large part by bots…and I think Elon is well justified in his fears. Realistically I fear it is already too late.

OK, I’m a geezer. OTOH even long ago we were using primitive AI to do better than did humans and consequently have decimated middle management around the world. Now we’re eliminating much of the labor need for semi-skilled work. We’re displacing journalists too.

FSD gets most of the attention from us. Auto labeling, Gigapress, highly automated materials development…the factory OS, these things are as consequential already as mass deployment of computing, then distributed computing, then the internet. Somehow very few of us perceive how consequential all this already is, and it is just now nearing critical mass.

Do any of us really think Tesla is primarily a car OEM?

I find a software billionaire who spends all of his time improving the planet through philanthropy

Not all his time: Gates still found enough spare time (and change) to short TSLA to the tune of $500M and has profited off the FUD. In fact, he thinks shorting TSLA doesn't hurt Elon:

Indeed, Gates is the source of some of that FUD where it comes to Tesla Semi, which Gates said likely won't work:

In a blog post, Gates argued that all-electric semi-trucks like the Tesla Semi would “probably never” work because batteries would be too heavy: The problem is that batteries are big and heavy. The more weight you're trying to move, the more batteries you need to power the vehicle.​
Dec 2, 2022​

Reactions: mars_or_bust
Sacks used GPT-4 to create a blog post. Amazing use of the tool:
Check out this ShareGPT conversation
Holy cow... that is impressive....
I do wish that AI would be trained with Azimov's 4 laws of robotics, although he wrote many stories on how that could go wrong but at least it is a start.

I wonder why the AI was limited to a knowledge cutoff date of 2021?

Reactions: Buckminster