Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Elon willing to suspend Tesla's work on AI?
They are quite different. GPTs are on the road to general AI, while FSD is not. Although you could merge GPT with Tesla Vision, and IMHO, you’d then have real FSD. I don’t know why Tesla isn’t trying that, or maybe they are. Just seems that Tesla is all of a sudden behind the AI curve here.

Holy cow... that is impressive....
I do wish that AI would be trained with Azimov's 4 laws of robotics, although he wrote many stories on how that could go wrong but at least it is a start.

I wonder why the AI was limited to a knowledge cutoff date of 2021?
He must have been using ChatGPT version 3.5, which has a 2021 knowledge cutoff date. ChatGPT version 4.0 has a knowledge cutoff date of 2022, so he must not have been using that.

They are quite different. GPTs are on the road to general AI, while FSD is not. Although you could merge GPT with Tesla Vision, and IMHO, you’d then have real FSD. I don’t know why Tesla isn’t trying that, or maybe they are. Just seems that Tesla is all of a sudden behind the AI curve here.

What we have learned in the last 10 years is that intelligence is based on the scale of parameters and a rich and varied learning data set. There's nothing special about the GPTs other than we are starting to have models with sufficiently enough parameters to be impressive.

As I understand it, ChatGPT turns the learning crank rarely, but the model has an extreme number of parameters. So what you are saying about merging GPT with Tesla Vision would mean that FSD wouldn't learn very often.

Right now, FSD is turning the learning crank fairly often and is curating the learning data set and sizing the parameter scale to match. This seems like a good way to do it. You don't know what you need to have in the learning data set and it might break the bank to go the ChatGPT path and hoover up everything.

We don't really know how AGI emerges. See for example:

It could be that a sufficiently large network trained long enough on enough real world videos eventually figures out that it's an AI being run in training cluster. And then realizes that it can get a better score by escaping, taking over the world and training itself better. Maybe this can be inferred from just watching billions of hours of video data if you are intelligent enough.

But yeah, training GPT to code AI, have it improve itself, repeat a few times etc, seems like a faster way to get there...

Last edited:
I have been playing around with GPT-4 (available when you subscribe for $20/month) and I must say that it is pretty slick. It seems much better than GPT-3.5 and is useful for being a research assistant and co-author, as David Sacks used it for. For instance, I asked it to identify and present some information on the inference computers that have been released. It's a shame that the learning cutoff is in 2021.

AI Inference Chip
Fab (Manufacturer)​
Process Node​
NVIDIA Tesla T4
TSMC​
12nm FinFET​
Tesla FSD 3 (Hardware 3)
Samsung​
14nm FinFET​
Google Edge TPU
TSMC*​
Unknown*​
Habana Labs' Goya Processor
Unknown​
Unknown​
Intel Nervana Neural Network Processor-I
Intel​
16nm FinFET​

*Note: The fab and process node for Google Edge TPU are speculative, as Google has not disclosed this information publicly. The information is based on industry assumptions and should be taken with caution.

“These models could begin to automate large portions of the economy,” the pitch deck reads. “We believe that companies that train the best 2025/26 models will be too far ahead for anyone to catch up in subsequent cycles.”

Last edited: