Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

artsci's Model S modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get mine the first things will be:

Tinted windows all around (except windshield. Tried it once - cops don't like AT ALL).
Blackvue DR400 HD-II camera mounted up front.

Then 21" aftermarket wheels a couple of years down the road.

As long as my intentions is not to run them over it will not be a problem.

I have had 5 cars In a row with 35% all way around, and it is never an issue.
Keep the speed, position of the vehicle and side markers clear and readable, and it will never be any trouble.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Ontario has a 30% maximum side window tint limit...I've had it done on my Roadster...looks great and performs well and is still very safe in my opinion...the problem up here is that many folks exceed the 30% limit and you are correct, it can be very dangerous...and the cops do hate it...but they seem to rarely enforce the 30% limit law...

Tinted side windows is a bad idea from a safety standpoint. Pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers need to be able to see you, to confirm your intentions.

Mine will be:

- immediate de-chroming of the under-door strips...
- under-the-bumper front plate mount
- tinted windows
- investigate inside the nose cone as location for Toll pass
- investigate adding laser countermeasures front and rear
- add (if possible) yellow turn signals - perhaps this might be available from Tesla if required in Europe?
- opportunity console

Last edited:
As long as my intentions is not to run them over it will not be a problem.
People often factor into their actions whether they can see you in the car and know where you're looking. Particularly pedestrians and bicyclists. As a pedestrian, I'm reticent to walk in front of a car even if they're at a stop sign unless I can see their eyes. And while it's safe to assume the huge majority of the time the driver knows what they're doing, I'm seeking to avoid that one time they aren't.

Having the right of way does me little good if I'm dead.

People often factor into their actions whether they can see you in the car and know where you're looking. Particularly pedestrians and bicyclists. As a pedestrian, I'm reticent to walk in front of a car even if they're at a stop sign unless I can see their eyes. And while it's safe to assume the huge majority of the time the driver knows what they're doing, I'm seeking to avoid that one time they aren't.
True but in that case you'd be looking at them through the windshield which won't be tinted. I run 35% side and 90% rear on my Roadster. Would go slightly lighter on the rear if I had it to do over again but that car is so low I get blinded by headlights behind me.

True but in that case you'd be looking at them through the windshield which won't be tinted.
Actually, the typical case is looking through their passenger window as they're typically pulled near or into the crosswalk. The main case being they're turning right on red and looking at traffic coming from the left and I'm on their right crossing on my green walk signal. Not infrequently they'll see an opening and not realize a pedestrian is coming from their other side.

With tinted windows, it's very hard for me to know if they've seen me or not.

Actually, the typical case is looking through their passenger window as they're typically pulled near or into the crosswalk. The main case being they're turning right on red and looking at traffic coming from the left and I'm on their right crossing on my green walk signal. Not infrequently they'll see an opening and not realize a pedestrian is coming from their other side.

With tinted windows, it's very hard for me to know if they've seen me or not.

Don't know the _exact_ details of your lights and driving - but i do know, after a few trips to the states that you can go right on red if not said else on a sign.

But, here, when you enter a crossing, any pedestrians directly in front of your green light will always have a "red man". That means, if I'm on red, and the cars on my left is going straight ahead and I'm waiting for an opening to go right on red - there will never be a pedestrian on my right side, legally crossing the road. There might be one crossing "my road", but as pedestrian crossings normally is not directly lined up with the "crossing lane"/"end of road line", but often 15 feet further "in" - I will already have passed this pedestrian path, and it will not pose a threat.

@ sublimaze1: I still find myself chuckle over it aswell. Didn't really sense it would be humorous when I wrote it - but I see it now :D

Don't know the _exact_ details of your lights and driving - but i do know, after a few trips to the states that you can go right on red if not said else on a sign.
Yep, happens a lot in downtown areas, but it looks something like the following. The driver has pulled into the crosswalk, typically trying to see to their left to see if it's clear to turn, and so the pedestrian is looking right through the passenger side window.

So, for on topic-ness, if you tint your windows it's safer for everyone if it's mild enough the outside can see in enough to make eye contact.
redlightthumb_t320_240.jpg

Have to figure a grille option, current grill cheapens the look if the car.
Remove it!

They look sick without the plastic but It will change you aero a little
I was noticing the cars in the final test area without the nosecone looked pretty cool!

You'll need to do a little something to 'trim' the edges and make it look intended + do something to the bumper bar in the middle ( black / chrome)

I have being thinking about this for a little while. I think it would go over great at a car show.

Buy one of these:
01.jpg

and put it on one of these:
02.jpg

then wire up one of these:
03.jpg

With a little bit of gearing and maybe a small controller or sensor on the frunk this would be great.

I will do this when I get my car. Probably will have some time in March. Hopefully will make it modular, and just find a plug for power, or making it with a built in battery.

I was at Publix today (greatest grocery store ever) where they will put you groceries in your car for you. I was asked if I wanted my cart brought out, I said no but thougt this would be a great gag. Put my dogs in the back. And then say "There should be room in the front right?" Then open it up to just a hamster on a wheel.