Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

artsci's Model S modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but the number of states that it's not allowed is getting smaller all the time.

Right turns on Red is allowed in Ontario, but I had thought it was illegal in Quebec. I have relatives there who tell me it's only illegal in Montreal. I can never be sure in Quebec, so I just wait, and if the guy behind honks, I'll go! (Any Quebecois want to help me out on this???)

Right turns on Red is allowed in Ontario, but I had thought it was illegal in Quebec. I have relatives there who tell me it's only illegal in Montreal. I can never be sure in Quebec, so I just wait, and if the guy behind honks, I'll go! (Any Quebecois want to help me out on this???)

yes that is correct, turning right on a red is now generally allowed everywhere except on the island of Montreal (i.e. not just montreal itself).

yes that is correct, turning right on a red is now generally allowed everywhere except on the island of Montreal (i.e. not just montreal itself).

Thanks! Don't get there too often, but good to know.

As a kid in Florida, I remember when it was illegal there. When they changed the laws, my Dad said it was because they just couldn't keep up with the northerners making their rights on reds!

This is the best idea I've seen so far. Are these units really any good though? The web site looks cheap...

I investigated this option before commiting to aftermarket installation of front and rear ultrasonic parking sensors. The limited reviews I found were not positive, primarily because the electromagnetic sensors cannot detect an object/obstuction until you are 2-3 feet from it.

I investigated this option before commiting to aftermarket installation of front and rear ultrasonic parking sensors. The limited reviews I found were not positive, primarily because the electromagnetic sensors cannot detect an object/obstuction until you are 2-3 feet from it.

Isn't that what they are supposed to do? Who needs parking sensors from beyond 3 feet?

The problem is that if the car is moving and the sensor doesn't activate until 2-3 feet you don't have time to stop the car. If electromagnetic sensors were superior, they would have been adopted by the car manufacturers. Instead, they all still install ultrasonic sensors.

I have sonar (ultrasonic?) sensors (factory) in my Toyota Sienna (minivan) and I love them. They come in most handy when parking. You know when you are getting too close to a wall, or the car next to you. I'm a little concerned with the Tesla. Several owners have inadvertently scraped the rims while parking. I was looking for something to help me avoid that...

It's too bad there is not a factory option from Tesla for some kind of proximity sensors as they would likely have innovated and taken it to a whole new level! At least the rear view camera is very high quality...

The problem is that if the car is moving and the sensor doesn't activate until 2-3 feet you don't have time to stop the car. If electromagnetic sensors were superior, they would have been adopted by the car manufacturers. Instead, they all still install ultrasonic sensors.

I've you have a habit of driving into a space at high speed that might be a problem, but when I park it's at a very slow pace, especially as I approach an obstacle. Even with ultrasonic detectors, which I have on my Volt, I have to park with care. They offer very little protection if I make moves too quickly.

I am ditching the stock 19" wheels and using the $3500 I saved not getting the 21" wheels to get a nice set of aftermarket wheels. They will be lighter, stronger, and look better than the stockers plus I will still have the 19" for winter duties.

I highly doubt you will find 21" wheels + tires for $3500 that are better than the ones Tesla offers. I have looked and there are few alternatives, as 21" is not a standard size.

In Pennsylvania (at least when I learned to drive back in the late 70's), they also allowed Left on Red after stopping IF you were turning from a one way street to another one way street. This makes perfect sense since you are not crossing an active lane, yet none of the states I have lived in since allow it (FL, CT, VT).

In Pennsylvania (at least when I learned to drive back in the late 70's), they also allowed Left on Red after stopping IF you were turning from a one way street to another one way street. This makes perfect sense since you are not crossing an active lane, yet none of the states I have lived in since allow it (FL, CT, VT).
Left turn on red (one way) is allowed in most states including Florida - 316.075 - - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate. Not allowed in CT, VT and a few others.