Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At 45, I should be better than this!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way to go Flyingdoc! Sacrificing the deposit was totally irresponsible yet unquestionably correct. It is a simple choice between regretting something for a few moments now, or for the next several years.

It hit me this morning... I have likely purchased my last ICE vehicle. Strange to think of.

So far, the only name option offered was Wintermute (clever, 30seconds).

Name options so far for the loaded pearl white 75D living in Tennessee are:

ArcAngel
Wintermute
Simplify... Call it Winter and until Delivery Day you can tell everyone that Winter Is Coming...

(hey - you can always change the name when you get to know the car better)

I did a test drive a few weeks ago of a MS P90DL, I'm a M3 reservation holder but know my heart is with the MS, never having paid so much for a car I'm trying to find the right reason to commit to it but have remained sensible and decided to make my decision once we see the second instalment of the M3. Anyway, daft as it is I've already decided the name of what will be my white Tesla, I've had to tell myself it makes sense but being a bit of a Disney fan and twisting the meaning a little, I will be naming her Elsa, the Ice Queen. Obviously she's not an ice but she will reign over them :s I'm 42, male and I feel childish to be daydreaming about a car so much.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
It doesn't stop. I am on my third Tesla S purchase and I am again obsessed. It happens each time. I am a girl and I am 66 years old.
Can't ever be too old to get excited!

Oh No!. I'm 24 hours away from my first Model S, I thought things would settle down once my blue beauty (p90D) arrived tomorrow. I’m 52, male and have had many high performance cars, BMW, Ferrari Maserati etc. Have never been so excited about a car in my life. Tesla takes you to the next level it seems and keeps you there.

I’ve obsessively been talking to my family so much about it, they are now all pretending to be Russian and can’t understand me. At least the dog listens.......if I chase her!

Damn Tesla!

Oh No!. I'm 24 hours away from my first Model S, I thought things would settle down once my blue beauty (p90D) arrived tomorrow. I’m 52, male and have had many high performance cars, BMW, Ferrari Maserati etc. Have never been so excited about a car in my life. Tesla takes you to the next level it seems and keeps you there.

I’ve obsessively been talking to my family so much about it, they are now all pretending to be Russian and can’t understand me. At least the dog listens.......if I chase her!

Damn Tesla!

The delivery anxiety does go away but the obsession remains! Enjoy!

We're just about the same age, Neuromancer. I've reserved a Model 3, so my wait is 1 1/2 - 2 years. Don't feel bad!

To pass the time, I suggest you find an avatar for your account, one presumably based on the William Gibson novel?

And for the pure white car -- I can't think of a better name than Shadowfax!

Reactions: Neuromancer
I had a deposit on a loaded BMW 550xi. Vehicle was in transit and delivery estimate was 2 weeks. I had test driven Audi A7, Porsche Panamera, and was wrapping up MB E350 lease. I liked the BMW but was just not that excited about it. I decided to go check out Tesla. I was given a MS 90D for overnight test drive. I cancelled the BMW order the next day. Lost my deposit but did not care. Now eagerly awaiting delivery of my 90D!
I've never cared for luxury cars and only really owned one -- a Lexus -- that I would put in that category. I still am not impressed by them. (I take pride in not being prideful.:p ) The Tesla, though clearly in the luxury category, is different. One test drive was all it took to hook me on the Model S after having a Model X reservation for almost a year. Other test drives (3 in total) was only to help decide on features.

The delivery anxiety does go away but the obsession remains! Enjoy!
Absolutely. Although it came with basic great features:
  • Refueling in the privacy and safety of my garage
  • Stress-free driving in the craziest traffic
  • Enjoying media for hours in my climate-controlled car without running down my battery, running out of fuel, or dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.
I seek after-market ways to improve on perfection. It can be as simple as hooks for dry cleaning, cosmetic like powder/painted wheels and wraps, to significant like dashcams and audio systems. I've never done this with other vehicles.

Other vehicles were just for getting from point A to point B. I enjoy being in my Tesla before, during, and after the drive. I actually want to see the comeback of drive-in theaters.

Yes, I'm obsessed.

We're just about the same age, Neuromancer. I've reserved a Model 3, so my wait is 1 1/2 - 2 years. Don't feel bad!

To pass the time, I suggest you find an avatar for your account, one presumably based on the William Gibson novel?

And for the pure white car -- I can't think of a better name than Shadowfax!

That is too funny Alketi!!! My first car was a black 69 Dodge Charger that I bought when I was 15. I called it Shadowfax even though the color was wrong (shadows are black, I rationalized). Perhaps it is time for me to redress that wrong...

Way to go Flyingdoc! Sacrificing the deposit was totally irresponsible yet unquestionably correct. It is a simple choice between regretting something for a few moments now, or for the next several years.

It hit me this morning... I have likely purchased my last ICE vehicle. Strange to think of.

ArcAngel
Wintermute

Just to make your list longer: Black Pearl
But I Love "ArcAngel"

ICE is so last century*. EVs will replace them yet.

All that's needed is for battery costs to keep falling, which is inevitable, and Gigafactory is a big step in that direction.

Tesla has done EVs a great service by making an outstanding car that makes full use of the EV advantages, plus the software revolution. It's really the first modern car. (Mechanically, the EV1 is still more advanced than any Tesla, though the Model 3 almost approaches it.)
__

* Ironically EVs were among the first cars extant at the end of the 19th century. Brass Era car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They were smooth and quiet and easy to operate, but had limited range. ICE only really took off in mass market popularity when they got the electric starter motor. Back to the future?

How can I be debilitatingly obsessed with a car? Am I six years old looking under the Christmas tree? It's unseemly.
Endeavoring not to succumb to hyperbole, Model S is simply one incredible car. Its combination of qualities is unprecedented. Literally. Looks, performance, technology, TORQUE!!!, handling, automation, smoothness, quiet, responsiveness, relative efficiency (for a large vehicle), free long distance travel.

It has a few weaknesses, but high quality design engineering overcomes many of them. It also has a few erroneous or questionable design decisions, but they're relatively minor compared to the outsized positives.

So no, your child-like enthusiasm is not misplaced.

Reactions: Neuromancer
Hello guys, this is the only place i can come for solace...I too have just Ordered my first M3. I have been watching Tesla since MS, no big deal, that is until I test drove one here in Houston. I have a 2015 Honda Accord Sport (Don't even like it), it seems invisible. Cant wait for my car...I geek like a dope-fein on this forum, and teslarati.com...refresh,...refresh ...nothing new, 8 months to go!:(

ArcAngel
Wintermute

I'll throw two out there for you:
Heaven
Rocky Top

My kids named mine Tabitha.

I'll never buy another ICE. We flew to visit family last week and rented a car, boy did I miss my Tesla and my autopilot. I felt so spoiled to return home. The lack of noise vs the rental ICE was the first thing I noticed.