Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At 45, I should be better than this!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I never post on any forum... Anywhere. Only the the fevered longing for my Tesla (confirmed Tuesday), and the accompanying psychotic/obsessive reading, has lured me from my lurking. I feel a visceral need for connection and commiseration to anesthetisize the pining in my chest.

I'm 45 years old... I should be better than this. How can I be debilitatingly obsessed with a car? Am I six years old looking under the Christmas tree? It's unseemly.

Alas, all I could think of was to ask for feedback as I contemplate a name for my soon arrival.

Pearl white, black interior 75D, loaded with everything except rear facing seats and air suspension.

I normally prefer ominous and manly appellations, but pearl white doesn't seem to invite this.

How about: ArcAngel?

Dumb? Inspired? Effeminate? Clever?

I can't believe I just typed this post. What the @&&$ is happening to me?

You're ME 3 years ago! Except I was 48. And I'm a girl.

Now I'm doing it again. Like once wasn't terrible/awesome enough!

It will be excruciating, trust me. The first time around I actually had to start taking melatonin to try and sleep. So far this time, I'm OK... But delivery is supposed to be sometime next week so it's building. It wouldn't be so bad had I not sold my previous Model S back on March 21! I've been driving a friend's sweet 2000 Jetta. For two months. After driving a Tesla for 3 years. ACK, I need the melatonin now!

You will be so thrilled once you get your car, you'll forget a bit about this painful waiting!

My wife has a Model X on order and is obsessed with the whole process, production status, etc. I have never seen her so excited about a car! My suggestion would be to just enjoy feeling like that kid on Christmas as few things are as exciting as getting a new Tesla!

Reactions: GSP
I feel your pain as well. I am 44 and my 70D is scheduled for delivery June-early July.

I only had trouble sleeping the first week and it's gotten better, but the obsession is still intense. I refresh MyTesla page 3 times-a-day to see if it's actually in production yet, I listen to a bunch of Tesla podcasts, read the forums rabbidly and yet I am still no closer to delivery.

Funnily, I am no stranger to obsession and intellectually I know that while this car is awesome, my life will still be the same after I get the car, but this deal is purely emotional.

Yeah, it's an electric car, and it's good for the environment for me to not use gas, and it will save me a few bucks in fuel, and it's good for American jobs and lots of little green men....
But it's all emotional and the sad thing is, I have to keep my excitement under a lid because I'm ashamed of people knowing how crazy I am

But hey, at least you guys and gals understand me!!!!

Hang tight and hopefully we will be able to sleep soundly again soon, because we'll need it as our Model 3's are at least a year-and-a-half away and we'll probably lose sleep over that one too.

Reactions: tony b and GSP
I feel your pain as well. I am 44 and my 70D is scheduled for delivery June-early July.

I only had trouble sleeping the first week and it's gotten better, but the obsession is still intense. I refresh MyTesla page 3 times-a-day to see if it's actually in production yet, I listen to a bunch of Tesla podcasts, read the forums rabbidly and yet I am still no closer to delivery.

Funnily, I am no stranger to obsession and intellectually I know that while this car is awesome, my life will still be the same after I get the car, but this deal is purely emotional.

Yeah, it's an electric car, and it's good for the environment for me to not use gas, and it will save me a few bucks in fuel, and it's good for American jobs and lots of little green men....
But it's all emotional and the sad thing is, I have to keep my excitement under a lid because I'm ashamed of people knowing how crazy I am

But hey, at least you guys and gals understand me!!!!

Hang tight and hopefully we will be able to sleep soundly again soon, because we'll need it as our Model 3's are at least a year-and-a-half away and we'll probably lose sleep over that one too.
Ah, but your life will NOT be the same after you get the car...

After looking at various sporty/luxury sedans, I'm buying this because it's the only one that makes me feel like what you're describing. The BMW dealership looked at me kinda crazy when I wasn't blown away by a fully loaded 550. Don't get me wrong, it was a sweet car, but it didn't leave me buzzing for days like the Model S. Basically my wife was like, "you won't stop talking about the Tesla. This is not a difficult decision..."

And if you're only refreshing 3 times a day, you're doing better than me.

I feel where you're coming from. A tesla will do that to you. It's a technological marvel.

The day I drove it, I knew I was doomed.
No other car ever looked the same to me. ICE died that day.

It makes you do irrational things, like spend $100k on a car.
But when it's the only choice, what's a guy to do :cool:

Welcome to the forum!

"ICE died that day" I love it! Someone should write a song about that. :)

Thank you! It is oddly therapeutic to share my plight with others who have known the same affliction.

I'm definitely refreshing more like 10-15 times a day. Pitiful.

My mistake was taking the overnight test drive on my morning commute the next day. I spend 2 to 2 1/2 hours a DAY in bumper to bumper freeway traffic. My experience with the S driving me to work was nothing short of religious.

In a jaded age of wonder's loss, it was a magical experience reminding me of the untainted dreams of youth.

Thank you! It is oddly therapeutic to share my plight with others who have known the same affliction.

I'm definitely refreshing more like 10-15 times a day. Pitiful.

My mistake was taking the overnight test drive on my morning commute the next day. I spend 2 to 2 1/2 hours a DAY in bumper to bumper freeway traffic. My experience with the S driving me to work was nothing short of religious.

In a jaded age of wonder's loss, it was a magical experience reminding me of the untainted dreams of youth.
I was already driving an incredible Tesla, when the same happened to me. Loaner overnight with autopilot for my commute home and back. My commute is just a little less than yours, but not by much. It was all over...

Reactions: JeffC
Hi everyone, I never post on any forum... Anywhere. Only the the fevered longing for my Tesla (confirmed Tuesday), and the accompanying psychotic/obsessive reading, has lured me from my lurking. I feel a visceral need for connection and commiseration to anesthetisize the pining in my chest.

Welcome to the family! I see you're in TN...Come join us in the Tennessee Tesla Thread and, if you're interested, shoot me an e-mail at zak (at) tntesla.org and get in on the Tennessee Tesla Owners Club!

Reactions: JeffC
I was already driving an incredible Tesla, when the same happened to me. Loaner overnight with autopilot for my commute home and back. My commute is just a little less than yours, but not by much. It was all over...

I had a deposit on a loaded BMW 550xi. Vehicle was in transit and delivery estimate was 2 weeks. I had test driven Audi A7, Porsche Panamera, and was wrapping up MB E350 lease. I liked the BMW but was just not that excited about it. I decided to go check out Tesla. I was given a MS 90D for overnight test drive. I cancelled the BMW order the next day. Lost my deposit but did not care. Now eagerly awaiting delivery of my 90D!

Way to go Flyingdoc! Sacrificing the deposit was totally irresponsible yet unquestionably correct. It is a simple choice between regretting something for a few moments now, or for the next several years.

It hit me this morning... I have likely purchased my last ICE vehicle. Strange to think of.

So far, the only name option offered was Wintermute (clever, 30seconds).

Name options so far for the loaded pearl white 75D living in Tennessee are:

ArcAngel
Wintermute