Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August/September VIN Notifications and Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This VIN was 30,8xx which had me a bit concerned, but it was built on 8/11 so it has the newer door buttons but just missed the newer tail lights. I was there a couple months ago for service on our Model S and the quality of this car was much better than the ones I had seen on the lot at that time.

Lots of rumors over the past couple years for the Charleston supercharger, but no evidence of one being build anywhere in town unfortunately.

They really need a supercharger in Charleston/Mt. Pleasant!

Reactions: BlindPass
Ordered MY this past Friday (9/4) online. Spoke with a SA from the Tesla Boston showroom and he said I should have a VIN assigned in about a week and should be taking delivery in about 2-3 weeks (from order date). He said I should def be getting it before end of September/Q3.

Blue / LR AWD / FSD / 20" induction / tow hitch.

Ordered my LR AWD metallic blue MY on Aug 6. Delivery was scheduled 9/10, but was called today and asked to reschedule as car is still en route. The Tesla rep said they are now swamped with deliveries. Might this be end of quarter push starting?

Ordered MY this past Friday (9/4) online. Spoke with a SA from the Tesla Boston showroom and he said I should have a VIN assigned in about a week and should be taking delivery in about 2-3 weeks (from order date). He said I should def be getting it before end of September/Q3.

Blue / LR AWD / FSD / 20" induction / tow hitch.

Yikes. I wouldn't just take the SA's word on that one. I'm not saying you should expect it 10-14 weeks out like the current order page shows, but I'd be HIGHLY skeptical of any claim you'll get it this month given just how many are still in queue without VINs that ordered as far back as end of July. Maybe set your expectation to first half of October just to be safe.

Reactions: CO_MY
Ordered my LR AWD metallic blue MY on Aug 6. Delivery was scheduled 9/10, but was called today and asked to reschedule as car is still en route. The Tesla rep said they are now swamped with deliveries. Might this be end of quarter push starting?

The end of quarter push started in mid-August. I was looking starting mid August and the SAs were all agreed that it was already ramped up into high gear at that point. I think most people in this forum need to really set realistic expectations because the reality is that a very large number of orders are simply not going to be delivered until October sometime. Tesla does this every friggin quarter where they over-promise because they have absolutely nothing to lose by doing it. There isn't another EV on the market that compares at the overall value with the number of features, so they end up courting a lot of buyers mid-quarter by promising fast delivery (this includes me). Yes, most of the orders will be delivered by end of quarter but it won't even be 80% of existing orders that actually make it in time. I ordered about 2 weeks ago and I still don't have a VIN nor do I have any expectation I will for at least another week. My bet is on getting my order in mid-October based on the trajectory I've calculated from folks who have put their order details in the spreadsheet.

So I contacted my local service center to see if they could tell me my SA as suggested by filotej. They didn't even know what an SA was and seemed very confused. I guess I'll just continue waiting and assume I'm going to have to reapply for financing or pay in cash due to it expiring. Unfortunate, but no the end of the world. What does SA even stand for Service Advisor? Is it weird I never got one? Is it weird the service center haven't heard of the term before? lol

Yikes. I wouldn't just take the SA's word on that one. I'm not saying you should expect it 10-14 weeks out like the current order page shows, but I'd be HIGHLY skeptical of any claim you'll get it this month given just how many are still in queue without VINs that ordered as far back as end of July. Maybe set your expectation to first half of October just to be safe.

Yeah, this is my concern, as well...especially, since I'm trying to time trading in my current car ('18 Audi SQ5) to either the Audi dealer or an independent dealer.

When I placed my order, the site did list a 2-4 week wait time.

When I test drove it on 8/25, the SA said to get my order in by 9/6 in order to get an end of quarter/September delivery...and he was accurate b/c by 9/6 or 9/7 the wait time increased to 10 - 14 weeks. I know this doesn't mean anything but I'm hoping he's right. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, this is my concern, as well...especially, since I'm trying to time trading in my current car ('18 Audi SQ5) to either the Audi dealer or an independent dealer.

When I placed my order, the site did list a 2-4 week wait time.

When I test drove it on 8/25, the SA said to get my order in by 9/6 in order to get an end of quarter/September delivery...and he was accurate b/c by 9/6 or 9/7 the wait time increased to 10 - 14 weeks. I know this doesn't mean anything but I'm hoping he's right. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, they were definitely not BSing about getting the order in by 9/6 because that was a true deadline for their manufacturing planning. The issue is that it's obvious that the estimates are NOT based on current demand or existing orders. They have no ability to dynamically scale production as demand changes and since the estimates were static for well over 6 weeks, it's obvious the estimates are aspirational, not actual calculated estimates. Anyone without a VIN today should go ahead and assume that either the car will come early October... or not until the very end of the year. Tesla will absolutely do a hard cut on the existing open orders at some point in the next few weeks that just get delayed to the end of next quarter because the company isn't going to freeze the international order deliveries further. *sigh*

Yeah, they were definitely not BSing about getting the order in by 9/6 because that was a true deadline for their manufacturing planning. The issue is that it's obvious that the estimates are NOT based on current demand or existing orders. They have no ability to dynamically scale production as demand changes and since the estimates were static for well over 6 weeks, it's obvious the estimates are aspirational, not actual calculated estimates. Anyone without a VIN today should go ahead and assume that either the car will come early October... or not until the very end of the year. Tesla will absolutely do a hard cut on the existing open orders at some point in the next few weeks that just get delayed to the end of next quarter because the company isn't going to freeze the international order deliveries further. *sigh*

MY does not ship internationally everything made in North America is for North America. Everyone is confusing M3 production for Europe start of the quarter as they are sending MY to europe which they are not.

People without VINs in California will receive their cars before October. Look at the spreadsheet almost every empty spot for the last 2 months is California. Tesla will pump out all California for the next 3 weeks.

Reactions: stlclint and CO_MY
MY does not ship internationally everything made in North America is for North America. Everyone is confusing M3 production for Europe start of the quarter as they are sending MY to europe which they are not.

People without VINs in California will receive their cars before October. Look at the spreadsheet almost every empty spot for the last 2 months is California. Tesla will pump out all California for the next 3 weeks.

So the California ones I definitely agree with you on. Those are the lowest risk of not completing order delivery by end of quarter since there is little risk in delays from shipping. Anyone outside of California should be more expecting of disappointment since priority is going to pivot to the lowest risk deliveries with each passing day.

As for the statement that orders are not going to international shipments, that may actually be the case but something else has to be inserted as a reason for all domestic orders after 9/6 not coming until December. Perhaps it is ramping up production for another model which is going to pause all production of Model Y in California? Obviously something is going to pause all of the production of Model Y from California or they are pivoting to manufacturing of international shipments for October & November.

Update: The claim that "almost every empty spot for the last 2 months is California" is quite the overstatement. While there are certainly a higher percentage of the California orders without a VIN, there are a LOT of ones empty for states other than CA. 75% for California are without a VIN but 45% of orders from other states are without a VIN. That's far from almost all. It's also very much to be expected that California deliveries are ramped up over the next few weeks because of the risk I had mentioned with regard to delays in shipments.

Last edited:
I just logged into my Tesla account and it now shows a "Submit Final Payment" section, which was not there the last time I looked at this page (think I last looked on Sunday). Before, only the Insurance section was displayed.

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that someone noticed this 1-day before they got their VIN and 'vehicle ready' notification...but who the heck knows. I'm probably getting myself amped up for no reason! lol

EDIT: took another look to see if my account had an MVPA and it does! I also see a VIN on it...49xxx. Now, to wait for the 'schedule delivery' notification. :)

Reactions: Reborn and CO_MY
I just logged into my Tesla account and it now shows a "Submit Final Payment" section, which was not there the last time I looked at this page (think I last looked on Sunday). Before, only the Insurance section was displayed.

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that someone noticed this 1-day before they got their VIN and 'vehicle ready' notification...but who the heck knows. I'm probably getting myself amped up for no reason! lol

EDIT: took another look to see if my account had an MVPA and it does! I also see a VIN on it...49xxx. Now, to wait for the 'schedule delivery' notification. :)

Wow, 49xxx! Mine was 41xxx and it was built 8/25. They are ramping up.

Reactions: CO_MY
ordered MY 8/19 no delivery text yet.
Called today hoping for good news. But alas still no VIN - she did however tell me I could expect my VIN around the 12th and 1-1.5 weeks later it should arrive at the Cherry Hill NJ service center.
she said hopefully you’ll have it by the end of the month ...
Was definitely hoping for sooner

blue MY AWD + tow package, no FSD will add later

Still waiting....But I now know my Y is in houston, but with damage to the center console panel. Replacement panel on order with updated date for me to take delivery set for Friday 9-11-20.

ordered 7-18-20
Vin text on 8-24-20
sched delivery 9-13-20
LRAWD black with white interior model Y
VIN # 42,XXX

No gonna lie this whole order process has been extremely frustrating. They must be swamped with deliveries. i've must have called six times this weekend trying to get updates.

My car's been in houston since Friday 9-4-20, and no one call me with an update. Now i'm worried the repair part will come in and they will overlook it. Oh well I'll keep calling.

Any one just out right cancelled their order this late in the game?
For those now driving and owning the Y, do you find the model Y worth the purchase hassle?

ordered 7-18-20
Vin text on 8-24-20
sched delivery 9-13-20
LRAWD black with white interior model Y
VIN # 42,XXX