Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a very good point in that roundabout review. If there was a stationary button / voice command "exit roundabout", which would just start flashing the left indicator, the stalks problem would be completely solved.
And/Or, if you are using navigation and the car knows you are going to exit it could do it for you.
Maybe there is some legal thing still where the driver has to do it? Dunno, I’ve learnt over the years that indicators (or the lack there of) is in no way practically authoritative and I expect the unexpected haha.
If you pull out in front of a truck at an intersection or roundabout and get cleaned up, you might not get the chance to say “ohh but he didn’t indicate” or “he was indicating so I went”.
Dunno about you guys but I can read the traffic easier by making eye contact with other drivers, dunno if it works, maybe by scanning the cars it gathers a better pattern to help determine their intention.
And then again, some people are just asshats, or don’t care

Reactions: sishome
Yeah, given that you only have to worry about the location of the left signal I think we'll get used to it very quickly and won't even have to think about it. A whole storm in a teacup.
While we're training our muscle memory with stalkless driving/turning, does the term 'if it's practical to do so' also apply to the drivers vehicle configuration?

Is it therefore impractical to signal left to exit a roundabout , for example, after making a right turn ?

1701291071586.png

While we're training our muscle memory with stalkless driving/turning, does the term 'if it's practical to do so' also apply to the drivers vehicle configuration?

Is it therefore impractical to signal left to exit a roundabout , for example, after making a right turn ?
Yeah, as it mentions there the size of the roundabout plays a big part there, bigger roundabout you have more time, etc

But the way it is worded it would make it very easy to defeat if you were bothered to challenge it, probably why it's never enforced.

Yeah, as it mentions there the size of the roundabout plays a big part there, bigger roundabout you have more time, etc

But the way it is worded it would make it very easy to defeat if you were bothered to challenge it, probably why it's never enforced.

I think they have opened themselves up to being challenged successfully tbh. You just have to say that the Australian standards have allowed this car to be sold in Australia knowing that indicating from roundabouts is pretty much impossible, so therefore you have de facto approval not to bother.

I don't think we can say it's impossible or even impractical based on the reviews and my own experiments using the volume button on my current car.

I substitute the volume down for left turn and have been able to hit it accurately with zero issues on multiple roundabouts in Canberra (the home of the roundabout) even adding the difficulty of the face I have to first really indicate with the stalk.

As I pointed out earlier its only one button you ever use to leave a roundabout. I can see the steering wheel position out of the corner of my eye and based on that I can hit the volume down in this case every time without needing to look.

If your current car has a button in a similar position try it out. You'll find it takes no time at all to get used to.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
I don't think we can say it's impossible or even impractical based on the reviews and my own experiments using the volume button on my current car.

I substitute the volume down for left turn and have been able to hit it accurately with zero issues on multiple roundabouts in Canberra (the home of the roundabout) even adding the difficulty of the face I have to first really indicate with the stalk.

As I pointed out earlier its only one button you ever use to leave a roundabout. I can see the steering wheel position out of the corner of my eye and based on that I can hit the volume down in this case every time without needing to look.

If your current car has a button in a similar position try it out. You'll find it takes no time at all to get used to.
To be honest I've been driving a BMW here in Adelaide since 2015 so I pretty much haven't indicated for 8 years. Going back to using any type of indication is going to be a stretch but I'm sure I'll work it out eventually.

Can't you see, I wanna drive
But you just take more Model 3's
you beat me to it lol

Well, there's a little Dronus waiting
At the counter of the Tesla shop
He's been waiting down there, waiting half a year
They never ever see him from the top
He gets pushed around, knocked to the ground
He gets to his feet and he says
What about me? It isn't fair
I've had enough, now I want my Model 3
Can't you see, I wanna drive