Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey im not that old.
Back in my day we had mud maps, and when we had to go somewhere we had to count out paces. one pace was a meter andafter every 100meters we would tie an onion to our belt, that was the trend at the time. 10 onions would make a punet and then it was time to give one onion to the centaur who would then use those onions to keep track of the hundreds of steps. Every hundred hundreds and he gave an onion to the next guy up the line and on and on it went until eventually you either reached your destination or ran out of onions.
I remember those days. Do I take 10 or 15 onions with me.
I heard so many horror stories about people running out of onions.
So glad I never did…..still, you never knew and always lived in fear!

Reactions: dronus and sishome
Sorry but this is nuts.

You honestly think that Tesla doesn’t have the capability to build to order?

My car was built two days before it was driven onto the boat to Australia. If you don’t think that Tesla aren’t the world’s experts in just in time delivery for cars then you haven’t been paying attention.

There has been something else that has happened that has messed up delivery windows. Maybe something out of their hands, maybe something in their hands. Who knows. I have my own theory, but others are available.

Point is, whatever it is, it has nothing to do with Tesla’s inability to build and deliver what has been ordered.
Agreed, it's pretty clear there has been some sort of glitch. What it was exactly they haven't said.

If there is one complaint it's communication, particularly for those of us who had our VIN and EDD removed and not replaced and didn't hear a peep in the process.

It's also not a good look that January orders are being filled while day one orders from September 1 are still in the dark. Clearly something has gone wrong and they've admitted that much but only after digging. Some better communication would help here IMHO

Meanwhile, my car is moving further away from me...
Beluga Ace is stalking down the coast :)

IMG_8212.jpeg

Sorry but this is nuts.

You honestly think that Tesla doesn’t have the capability to build to order?

My car was built two days before it was driven onto the boat to Australia. If you don’t think that Tesla aren’t the world’s experts in just in time delivery for cars then you haven’t been paying attention.

There has been something else that has happened that has messed up delivery windows. Maybe something out of their hands, maybe something in their hands. Who knows. I have my own theory, but others are available.

Point is, whatever it is, it has nothing to do with Tesla’s inability to build and deliver what has been ordered.
I’m sorry but if Sep orders are being filled because there aren’t enough of a certain config on the first shipment, but Jan 3 orders are being filled because not many ordered another config, then no they are not built to order. Tesla has always been transparent that they do not build to order, they just build and send and if your config is on board then you get a delivery date, if not you wait for the next shipment.

Tesla is a large enough and innovative enough company to be able to atleast provide updates of when cars are off the factory like literally ever other high end car maker. But they don’t and I personally think it’s because they have an Apple mentality. They do what they want knowing people will still purchase.

I know I will get my car, and I still want the Tesla as it is the best car available, but it does make me think of another option became available I would take it simply because of the way Tesla treats customers. It’s unfortunate that’s all

Agreed, it's pretty clear there has been some sort of glitch. What it was exactly they haven't said.

If there is one complaint it's communication, particularly for those of us who had our VIN and EDD removed and not replaced and didn't hear a peep in the process.

It's also not a good look that January orders are being filled while day one orders from September 1 are still in the dark. Clearly something has gone wrong and they've admitted that much but only after digging. Some better communication would help here IMHO
100% agree

I’m sorry but if Sep orders are being filled because there aren’t enough of a certain config on the first shipment, but Jan 3 orders are being filled because not many ordered another config, then no they are not built to order. Tesla has always been transparent that they do not build to order, they just build and send and if your config is on board then you get a delivery date, if not you wait for the next shipment.

Tesla is a large enough and innovative enough company to be able to atleast provide updates of when cars are off the factory like literally ever other high end car maker. But they don’t and I personally think it’s because they have an Apple mentality. They do what they want knowing people will still purchase.

I know I will get my car, and I still want the Tesla as it is the best car available, but it does make me think of another option became available I would take it simply because of the way Tesla treats customers. It’s unfortunate that’s all
I honestly believe they build the reservered orders up to a certain date and then build a number of extra stock for each location based on whatever algorithms they use.

I fully expected and accepted that the result would not be that all orders would be filled sequentially, eg the initial BA shipment only went to BNE and MEL so nobody in SYD/ACT etc were going to receive those, and that's fine. They also could produce particular configs first, etc, so I was happy to accept that being a Sept 1 order was not going to guarantee being first in line. I don't think it's fine though that orders placed more than four months later are being filled while we still don't know what's going on. That just needs communication to resolve.

They have said there was a glitch that resulted in the mess that currently exists, pure speculation here but it could be something stupid like the wrong vehicles got loaded onto the wrong ship, they got put in the wrong spot and therefore had to be unloaded at the wrong destination, etc, who knows really.

I do feel that some communication here would go a long way, just to say hey this is what actually happened, this is what we are doing to resolve it.

I honestly believe they build the reservered orders up to a certain date and then build a number of extra stock for each location based on whatever algorithms they use.

I fully expected and accepted that the result would not be that all orders would be filled sequentially, eg the initial BA shipment only went to BNE and MEL so nobody in SYD/ACT etc were going to receive those, and that's fine. They also could produce particular configs first, etc, so I was happy to accept that being a Sept 1 order was not going to guarantee being first in line. I don't think it's fine though that orders placed more than four months later are being filled while we still don't know what's going on. That just needs communication to resolve.

They have said there was a glitch that resulted in the mess that currently exists, pure speculation here but it could be something stupid like the wrong vehicles got loaded onto the wrong ship, they got put in the wrong spot and therefore had to be unloaded at the wrong destination, etc, who knows really.

I do feel that some communication here would go a long way, just to say hey this is what actually happened, this is what we are doing to resolve it.
Absolutely, communication goes a long way.

It is so bizzare..

Reactions: Jules22