Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think there’s a few players that will miss the boat during the transition. The first one is Toyota, they just don’t get it, think PHEV and Hydrogen will win, but the race has already run. The BPs and Ampols are dipping their toe in the water but if they were serious they would have more than the token one or two chargers at their BP Pulse and AmpCharge woke sites. Tesla at the moment will wipe these organisations out of existence given the current trajectory. Evie, NRMA, RAA and others are investing but recent price hikes are showing that investment is high and returns are low. Just my gut feel but there will be a major player that steps up nationally that challenges Tesla.
Toyota to me just doesn't seem to understand the appeal of near zero maintenance. I'm a petrol head, I love internal combustion, but I don't need valve trains and gaskets and belts going on a daily driver if I can avoid it.

Delivery centres are bout to get really busy…

IMG_8613.jpeg

NRMA is well positioned to become one in near future.

And these guys are not considering the part where savings will manifest itself like saved trucking and shipping costs, saved refining costs, saved dirty middleman costs all of those when gets diverted to building and maintaining sites and local production there will a lot to profit from in the long term.

Also as time goes hardware costs of chargers, local production and storage costs of electricity etc is going to go down and continues to go down if history is anything to learn from driving maintenance costs of sites further down and reliability of charging infrastructure keeps improving with each iteration.

Further to this, once a charger is wired there is minimal operational costs as no one have to load electricity in a truck and fill every other day to each charging site. None of the current balance sheet is an indicator of the future profitability for a company fully invested into the business.

And globally I was wondering why shouldn't fastfood conglomerates like KFC/MacDonalds/Tacobell/starbucks/etc who have lot of parking real estate across freeways and highways all around the globe get into partnership with one or more ev charging vendors and start getting each of their parking lot fitted with chargers .
Not so sure on NRMA as I once was. Was very disappointed with the number of out of service chargers over Christmas period. Since moving to a commercial model their quality has dipped. Probably the blame is more directed at ChargeFox than NRMA. Your point on not having to ship electricity vs fuel is fantastic, have never thought of it in that way. In regards to charger
Toyota to me just doesn't seem to understand the appeal of near zero maintenance. I'm a petrol head, I love internal combustion, but I don't need valve trains and gaskets and belts going on a daily driver if I can avoid it.
yep hybrids will help the transition but as you say the inherent issues with a combustion engine still remain. I think they are taking a big gamble on hydrogen tech, time will tell.

Reactions: jeevas123
Not so sure on NRMA as I once was. Was very disappointed with the number of out of service chargers over Christmas period. Since moving to a commercial model their quality has dipped. Probably the blame is more directed at ChargeFox than NRMA. Your point on not having to ship electricity vs fuel is fantastic, have never thought of it in that way. In regards to charger

yep hybrids will help the transition but as you say the inherent issues with a combustion engine still remain. I think they are taking a big gamble on hydrogen tech, time will tell.
Hydrogen was DoA and was in casket even before it arrived in both incarnations(fuel cell/combustion) and all the parties involved knows it and kept buying time. And even if hydrogen is not boiling and exploding at room temperature it is still inefficient just like any fossil fuel and some can argue that oh we will use existing infrastructure. That is total rubbish. You need much complicated infra to produce, store and distribute hydrogen which will be atleast 100/1000 times expensive than strengthening the EV charging infra across country.

Still some are pursuing it for possible use cases where battery is still not proven, like aviation and long-haul trucking. I think trucking case will also be blown very soon.

Last edited:
Do you get to peel the plastic thing off the screen yourself at delivery or is it already taken off?
I have some screen protectors arriving around the same time as delivery.
Ive found that with phone screen protectors i get a better result if its done straight away before all the pubes get stuck all over the screen

• Funny
Reactions: edy80y
Not so sure on NRMA as I once was. Was very disappointed with the number of out of service chargers over Christmas period. Since moving to a commercial model their quality has dipped. Probably the blame is more directed at ChargeFox than NRMA.
Chargefox is just the network that looks after billing, activation etc (and is owned by the motoring groups - RAA/NRMA/RACQ/RACV/etc) - the actual hardware is the responsibility of the site owner.

(plus it's only the 350kW NRMA chargers on the Chargefox network - their other chargers are on a separate network)

If NRMA installs a DC or AC charger, then it's up to NRMA to maintain it.
If Woolworths installs a charger (as they have done at several sites, like North Parramatta or Leppington in NSW), it's up to Woolworths to maintain it. Being on the Chargefox network means Woolworths doesn't have to worry about things like billing, providing live data and showing in Google Maps etc - but the responsibility remains with the site owner to maintain and repair any hardware issues.

Reactions: Cocoboy and dronus
Do you get to peel the plastic thing off the screen yourself at delivery or is it already taken off?
I have some screen protectors arriving around the same time as delivery.
Ive found that with phone screen protectors i get a better result if its done straight away before all the pubes get stuck all over the screen
I think they normally leave it on, but I've seen some say it was already removed.

Reactions: dronus