Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure about that. The FTA fairly specifically refers to "Motor Cars ... with spark-ignition internal combustion reciprocating piston engine".

Unless EVs fall into 8703.90: "Other".
I think it might be 8703.70.90
So, yes, it seems EVs from China have been duty free since 20 December 2015 (as I read it)

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
I think it might be 8703.70.90
So, yes, it seems EVs from China have been duty free since 20 December 2015 (as I read it)
Ah ha! Harmonisation schedule... That old chestnut.

8703.80 "Other vehicles, with only electric motor for propulsion". 8703.80.19 - "Other". Or 8703.80.90 - "Other"?

Either way, seemingly no tariff after 2015. So there you go!

Reactions: New Tech Bj
Ordered 31.1.22 RWD white on white.
Recieved call a week or so ago from SA.
IM going overseas in a few weeks so no doubt my vehicle will probably come then….
Anyone else order white on white around the same time have any other update then the 14-20 weeks.
I believe I’m at week 15-16 now.

Ordered 31.1.22 RWD white on white.
Recieved call a week or so ago from SA.
IM going overseas in a few weeks so no doubt my vehicle will probably come then….
Anyone else order white on white around the same time have any other update then the 14-20 weeks.
I believe I’m at week 15-16 now.
I ordered the same config, the day before you. Same updates as you, nothing more as yet.

Please add your order to the spreadsheet/form (link below in my signature). Then we can see each other's relative progress.

Still at anchor.. Giga Shanghai is supposed to be back at 24 hour production today too. 2600 cars per day. Still seen no news though. Would be nice if she could be delayed a day or so and they knock out 5000 RHDs. I can dream...
So this is a question for the brains trust as I was unable to find it. When Giga Shanghai is running full tilt and putting out 2600 cars per day, does anyone know what the actual build time for a single unit is?

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
Yeah, but it doesn't take 40sec to build a car. Just wondering from nothing to a finished car. Think Ive read anywhere from 90mimutes to 2-3 days
might be depending on what you considered the starting point. In '18, in freemont factory, it takes 40 steps and 90 mins from an empty body to fully assembled car. 2-3 days might include making the actual frame/empty body of the car?

Yeah, but it doesn't take 40sec to build a car. Just wondering from nothing to a finished car. Think Ive read anywhere from 90mimutes to 2-3 days
It would be multiple days at the very least. The paint shop and body rust treatment alone take significant time as drying is involved.

Maybe the production line takes 90 minutes to clear but that’s probably starting from a finished body where engineers start fitting equipment.