Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder about this too. If VINs are assigned randomly and there are more orders than cars, isn’t it possible that any order at any time may go unfilled? For example we know of people in November waiting for a VIN while someone in January has one.

Extremely bizarre system. I’d be pretty upset if that happened to me.
I have offered many times publicly to fix Tesla pre-delivery. I find pre-delivery to be truly an amazing system

Their system does seem overly complicated from what I can gather though, it’s just a system or queues.

Model 3 queue
Spec sub queue
Location sub queue

So if no one ordered X spec until late dec. and they are making at least 1 of that spec in Q1 then that person gets allocated over another.

Similarly if 2 ppl with same spec order I’d imagine location plays a part in who gets allocated 1st as they want to deliver further away 1st to increase the quarterly numbers which is there only goal.

For ppl who only care about quick delivery. Tesla should offer a blank spec option that just matches you to the next available config.

My estimated delivery window opens today. While I understand that this is not a legally binding obligation on Tesla, I would like to believe - would really like to believe - that I may get to see my M3 this week.
There are many steps the car needs to take once unloaded and we need to assume car transports are magically available then assuming you are in the sydney area MAYBE early next week

My estimated delivery window opens today. While I understand that this is not a legally binding obligation on Tesla, I would like to believe - would really like to believe - that I may get to see my M3 this week.
If your car was off loaded in Port Kembla yesterday, then you're at Step 1 of the following: What to expect taking delivery of your Model 3

Tesla's order and delivery is optimised to hitting quarterly numbers, not customer experience. The upside to everyone that is waiting is that the machine is going to be working overtime to get as many cars into owners' hands by the end of March.

M3P
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black
OD: 26/11
EDD: N/A
Vin: N/A
Delivery: Mulgrave

The app is stil showing 8-12 weeks from Delivery!

Chased up my SA and just got told by email everything is still on track for a VIN allocation within the next week or two!
Got a similar response over the phone yesterday. The app still shows 8-12 weeks.

---
M3LR
White/Black
OD: 19/11
VIN: N/A
Melbourne