Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it. The 2022 M3 RWD had brought the below 2 major benefits to the owners (according to many FB & forum posts):
  • Cheaper insurance premium
  • Can be driven by P-platers (at least in NSW)
So the 0.5 sec performance reduction had moved the M3 RWD just out of the "performance car" category (0-100 under 6 secs), used by both insurance companies & Service NSW to calculate car accident risks. Any performance boost option offered by Tesla will simply remove the above benefits, as insurance companies & NSW police wouldn't be able to reliably detect whether an M3 RWD has the boost option turned on.

I don't think Tesla made the car slower to make it Australian P plate legal... How many P plate sales do you think they will have? Our entire EV market is small fry let alone just the P platers. May have similar reasons in Europe though.

They could easily offer the boost and put a disclaimer on your account that you must accept. 'This will prevent the car from being P Plate legal in certain states and territories and by accepting you confirm no Plate drivers and may be necessary to notify insurance providers' it would be that simple.

I don't think the police would care. It's not like a p plater can't borrow another car that's not legal for them to drive and drive it anyway. Or mod a car and keep those mods hidden.

Yeah that $6000 is almost 12MWh at current Supercharger rates, enough to drive 80,000 km or so.

Convenience of charging at home is worth a bit, but is it $6000 worth of convenience?
80,000km , almost 3 years worth of driving, just have to do all my shopping at Macquarie park shopping centre now, it’s still very good progress for Apartment building to allow owner to install their own charger, price may come down next few years.

This sucks, so what happens now?

If Tesla really calculates KM's based on some fixed variable, then % would make more sense.

The fixed variable on the gauge in an ICE just references how full the tank is.

I assume that's the key difference here with percentage vs kms?

I honestly don't know with the difference I'm wondering the same thing. I can understand the arguments people are making for % over Km but I feel like I'm missing a bit of data, tho i do trust some of the opinions given are based on good knowledge.

And as far as pick up is concerned, I've had to shorten a family holiday to cope *sigh* I even said that when i first called, didn't seem like it made an ounce of difference.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know with the difference I'm wondering the same thing. I can understand the arguments people are making for % over Km but I feel like I'm missing a bit of data, tho i do trust some of the opinions given are based on good knowledge.

And as far as pick up is concerned, I've had to shorten a family holiday to cope *sigh* I even said that when i first called, didn't seem like it made an ounce of difference.
Sucks to hear they won't adjust the pick up date. What about another family member? I think someone else suggested that as the other alternative?

I don't think Tesla made the car slower to make it Australian P plate legal... How many P plate sales do you think they will have?
Many people here & around the world are buying M3 as their family cars, it's not about the number, but to provide an option for those people who want to buy a P-plate compliant Tesla family car, instead of the SA's simply asking them to buy other brands.

These 2 points are usually mutually exclusive.
Did you mean high performance cars which can NOT be driven by P-platers are usually cheaper to insure?

Did you mean high performance cars which can NOT be driven by P-platers are usually cheaper to insure?
Insurance premiums are calculated mostly on the value of a car and the likelihood of crashes for that model based on historical data.

P platers are one of the highest risk crash groups. If there are more crashes involving M3 rwds, then the premium of M3 rwd goes up for everyone... not just the P platers.

So being P plater legal is not necessarily a good thing for M3 rwds. In a worse case situation where heaps of them gets crashed, it may end up costing more to insure a RWD than a LR or P. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

I doubt it. The 2022 M3 RWD had brought the below 2 major benefits to the owners (according to many FB & forum posts):
  • Cheaper insurance premium
  • Can be driven by P-platers (at least in NSW)
So the 0.5 sec performance reduction had moved the M3 RWD just out of the "performance car" category (0-100 under 6 secs), used by both insurance companies & Service NSW to calculate car accident risks. Any performance boost option offered by Tesla will simply remove the above benefits, as insurance companies & NSW police wouldn't be able to reliably detect whether an M3 RWD has the boost option turned on.
If Tesla wants more $ I doubt they care about NSW and VIC p-platers. It’s a global car, any decision would be made on a global scale.

The initial decision to make it slower was never meant for p-plate compliance or cheaper insurance. Tesla is a business after all and it will take opportunities to make profit just as they should. It ain’t a charity for the good well of p-platers or insurance.

Last edited:
Hi All,
So I received by VIN on the 10/2 and I can see the final payment balance in my account (EDD 12-26th March), but I still have not received my final invoice. I'll chase my SA again tomorrow when he is back at work (Chatswood), but getting a little frustrated. Is getting the final invoice pdf a "show stopper" for booking a delivery time?

regards,
Stephen

That does make sense but I also see what other people are talking about. This approach is essentially the same as looking at your ICE fuel gauge and basing travel on that that instead of the predicated KMs as has been mentioned before, I just wonder why it seems now to be the preferred method when it wasn't with ICE cars.
When you really need to predict your travel, you use the car navigation or a route planner like ABRP.

I think the difference with ICE cars is that external conditions make a lot more difference with EVs. In an ICE car when most of the energy from the fuel is lost as heat before it even moves the car, a doubling in the extra energy lost to weather or terrain won't really be noticeable, so you tend to have a more predictable litres->range conversion.

Reactions: Lyth
For us really unlucky people who ordered right after it changed over to 5-7 months (why oh why didn't I book the test drive the weekend before?)

Anyone know how long it usually takes to come up with an expected delivery date in your account? I ordered on the 19/2

I just want to see that 5-7 month date so I can forget about it and move on with my life for a bit lol
We ordered the exact same day as you, so wishing we'd done it that little bit earlier. Our salesperson hasn't been the best with communication. We don't get straight answers, so we were happy to find this forum. We already received our financing approval, but it's only good for 90 days - I know it's beyond a long shot but we're hoping for a delivery before the current 5-7 month estimate too 🤞🏼

This concept confuses me greatly.

My understanding is:

All uses for the vehicle are calculated in km’s.
I.e. We don’t refer to distance between two points as a percentage as it provides no set reference. Percentage of what size battery for example. It’s meaningless without other data.

My last 5 cars have all displayed a km’s remaining figure on the dash, with no “range anxiety” being produced as a result.
Why does this figure upset some people?

Most importantly, it is my understanding that the car constantly updates the available range based on a bunch of variables such as previous driving style/consumption, charge capacity, battery health etc.

So, with the assumption that the above is correct, why would having a percentage of battery be superior?
If you were to do a trip and the car says 400kms remaining or 100%, what difference does it make?

For those suggesting to look at the consumption graph to calculate range, is that not exactly what the range calculation uses?

Hence my confusion!
“So, with the assumption that the above is correct, why would having a percentage of battery be superior?
If you were to do a trip and the car says 400kms remaining or 100%, what difference does it make?”

The bottom line is mathematics, 100% is always 100% but 400kms estimate could be 350 one moment then 370 another moment depending on many variables but 100% will always be 100%.

And using that accurate number you can make a more accurate estimate because you know how and where you are planning to drive - freeway, city streets, cruising, aggressive, summer, winter etc.

“So, with the assumption that the above is correct, why would having a percentage of battery be superior?
If you were to do a trip and the car says 400kms remaining or 100%, what difference does it make?”

The bottom line is mathematics, 100% is always 100% but 400kms estimate could be 350 one moment then 370 another moment depending on many variables but 100% will always be 100%.

And using that accurate number you can make a more accurate estimate because you know how and where you are planning to drive - freeway, city streets, cruising, aggressive, summer, winter etc.
Agree. With EVs you would want to keep your state of charge between certain percentages for normal driving, e.g. 30% to 85%, so you'll know when you need to charge.

Model 3's range is good enough not to need to count km's around town. Like you would glance at the petrol tank needle in an ICE car every now and then.

If you're going on trips you would pre-plan it anyway, so still I don't see the need to count kms.

100% battery can’t guarantee that you’ll go the same distance between trips though.

Anyway, does the dash show kms and percent at the same time?
That would be nice to know.

We ordered the exact same day as you, so wishing we'd done it that little bit earlier. Our salesperson hasn't been the best with communication. We don't get straight answers, so we were happy to find this forum. We already received our financing approval, but it's only good for 90 days - I know it's beyond a long shot but we're hoping for a delivery before the current 5-7 month estimate too 🤞🏼
The financier should be able to extend it if that delivery date does end up being longer.

Also if it really is 5-7 months you should double check with them about increasing that range in case the interest rate raises later in the year and they have to do a brand new application for you.

Yeah I’m really holding out hope it won’t be that long. I’ve had my financing approved too but same as you it’s only good for 90 days. Though if you went through Mac then they’ve told me they will contact me closer to the cutoff to extend if it needs to be.

Reactions: De4thsCh1ld