Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do agree it probably is limited in the power 'ramp up' and the variables are adjusted there though the 'lag' isn't so pronounced in the rolling test on that video above, he only got a car length in front before the other car was holding.

We know the 2022 RWD has a physically lower rated motor, but in short term peaks (like a 0-100 run) they could probably make it run as fast as the 2021 SR+ if they wanted and think it leaves open the door for a potential paid acceleration boost for the 2022 RWD. As we know the car drive electronics can handle the power and car is physically capable of being safe with 5.6s/100kph acceleration. Brilliant move by Tesla if so, acceleration boost is almost pure profit and many would do it.

The old 'performance' motor in the SR+ would be capable of more than it does as well... I know the one in USA the 3D1 performance motor some company had unlocked the 'ramp up' limitation by the looks:
https:// teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ingenext-boost-sr-module.229427/

I've been doing more research on this topic.

I now have more reason to believe they are actually using a lesser 630 Amp rated inverter board combined with the 3D7 motor in the RWD. I was under the impression only the motor changed but possibly not.
While the motor change itself is a physical limitation it generally can take short term peaks above it's rating without issue, an inverter board however is another story this is a hard limitation and would mean an OTA speed boost would just not be possible. 630A inverter board is unconfirmed but likely based on early reports of a car in tests using Scan My Tesla which is showing peaks about dead on 630 Amps which would suggest usage of that board.

If the above is true, how much could this have possibly saved Tesla for cost by downgrading to the lesser motor and inverter board, not a lot, I guess less usage of some components and materials? Probably assumed LR would become more enticing which they would likely make more profit on.

208kW peak, 6.1s/100kmh in the RWD is still a fast car of course, I just find it interesting to investigate since they don't tell us why they made the change.

Reactions: m3rwd
My Midnight Silver LR gets Rayno S9 tinting today including roof and Atri Pro Nano Graphine coating. Should be ready for pick up tomorrow. Also had the silver rims powder coated satin black yesterday and look terrific. Will have pictures tomorrow.

Recommend A1 Powder Coaters on Sunshine Coast - Only $800 includes having tyres removed by a local tyre shop.

And tinting. ppf, ceramic coating - Clean Getaway Car Detailing
keen to see the rims

I've been doing more research on this topic.

I now have more reason to believe they are actually using a lesser 630 Amp rated inverter board combined with the 3D7 motor in the RWD. I was under the impression only the motor changed but possibly not.
While the motor change itself is a physical limitation it generally can take short term peaks above it's rating without issue, an inverter board however is another story this is a hard limitation and would mean an OTA speed boost would just not be possible. 630A inverter board is unconfirmed but likely based on early reports of a car in tests using Scan My Tesla which is showing peaks about dead on 630 Amps which would suggest usage of that board.

If the above is true, how much could this have possibly saved Tesla for cost by downgrading to the lesser motor and inverter board, not a lot, I guess less usage of some components and materials? Probably assumed LR would become more enticing which they would likely make more profit on.

208kW peak, 6.1s/100kmh in the RWD is still a fast car of course, I just find it interesting to investigate since they don't tell us why they made the change.
Waiting for some youtubers to tear a RWD apart and check each component 🤣
I guess the inverter amp can still be software limited and mostly like how and where the software limits the motor output.

From an economics point of view, a $3000 OTA upgrade makes more sense than savings made on the motor and inverter, materials saved using the lesser components wouldn't be that much either. You still need to put chips into a lesser inverter. Just imagine how much money Tesla could make from a million RWD owners worldwide, say at the end of Q3 2022, money so easy that they don't even have to book you in for a service appointment.

Like yourself, I am also invested in searching for an answer but the outcome becomes less relevant each day as the delivery date approaches. As many testers have pointed out, that 0.5 sec loss is in the initial 0-20/30 kph zone, if that 0.5 sec matters on public roads then I must have had unrealistic expectation of the car. Driving around Sydney and seeing quite a few M3s on the road, I am yet to see one that actually dash away from lights hard out; mostly were just brisk driving but gentle, which is what I like anyway, gentle driving and use just enough power for the necessary situation.

Reactions: Benzz and RedSky1
Personally, at the end of the day, if the situation were to occur with 20kms vs 5%, I'd rather see the distance than the % - it might be the difference of deciding to make it home to charge or having to pull up at a destination charger 5-10 mins out from home.

I'd be sweating bullets either way!
If it's looking that marginal, you put your destination into the navigation and it'll give you a continuous update of the predicted charge level at the destination.

Reactions: Lyth
Has the latest ship been held up outside Brisbane due to the weather closing the port?

Waiting patiently... 😶

1646098293765.png

Waiting for some youtubers to tear a RWD apart and check each component 🤣
I guess the inverter amp can still be software limited and mostly like how and where the software limits the motor output.

From an economics point of view, a $3000 OTA upgrade makes more sense than savings made on the motor and inverter, materials saved using the lesser components wouldn't be that much either. You still need to put chips into a lesser inverter. Just imagine how much money Tesla could make from a million RWD owners worldwide, say at the end of Q3 2022, money so easy that they don't even have to book you in for a service appointment.

Like yourself, I am also invested in searching for an answer but the outcome becomes less relevant each day as the delivery date approaches. As many testers have pointed out, that 0.5 sec loss is in the initial 0-20/30 kph zone, if that 0.5 sec matters on public roads then I must have had unrealistic expectation of the car. Driving around Sydney and seeing quite a few M3s on the road, I am yet to see one that actually dash away from lights hard out; mostly were just brisk driving but gentle, which is what I like anyway, gentle driving and use just enough power for the necessary situation.
Found an interesting UT video which show how Tesla has deliberately designed many common drive components that are interchangeable across the entire range M3,MY S to maximize simplicity and cost.
So maybe a lot of tuning is done via OTA as suggested. That would make sense to me.

Reactions: MAXPOiNT
According to port of brisbane the new departure date is the 4th.
Im guessing there's a queue of ships now.
Yep. new schedule is 8pm 3/3 arrival @POB with a 3pm departure on 4/3. Cant remember the exact time frame to PK but best case i'd say it should be arriving sundayish to unload at PK. I have an EDD of 10-24 March in bris. I dont see deliveries getting to bris by the 10th.

Yep. new schedule is 8pm 3/3 arrival @POB with a 3pm departure on 4/3. Cant remember the exact time frame to PK but best case i'd say it should be arriving sundayish to unload at PK. I have an EDD of 10-24 March in bris. I dont see deliveries getting to bris by the 10th.

Definitely understand the delay. I just need to stop looking online and stalking everything... Might start colouring or something to distract me haha

Yeah, my old bank could, but just switched to a neo bank and it doesn't look like they've implemented that yet. I'll be giving them a call but its good to know I have time anyway.

Perfect, thanks 👍

Excellent, thanks, anxiety abated.
If it's Up bank, you can just text them and they should be able to increase the limit.

• Is there a limit to how much I can pay someone using Up?
    Up has a $30,000 daily limit for outgoing payments. If you need to transfer more than $30,000, please contact us via ‘Talk to Us’ in app and we may be able to assist you. Please note that these funds cannot be sent via Osko and will take 2-3 business days to transfer.

Paid $4 into the Tesla account last night just to make sure all the saved account details were right, it showed up just after midday today. I am ready to pay the rest, just have to wait for Morning Clara to set sail again, hope the weather didn't affect any of the cars in her hull. It shouldn't right? I am no marine expert.

If Tesla wants more $ I doubt they care about NSW and VIC p-platers. It’s a global car, any decision would be made on a global scale.
Many people here & around the world are buying M3 as their family cars, it's not about the number, but to provide an option for those people who want to buy a P-plate compliant Tesla family car, instead of the SA's simply asking them to buy other brands.
Providing more affordable insurance & family-friendly car options are pretty much common goals for most major brands, Tesla included. This is why Tesla is rolling out it's own insurance plans in US to provide more affordable options to its owners, for overseas markets - the 2022 M3 RWD had fulfilled these two options in a global scale, not only just for "NSW and VIC p-platers" & their families.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Joining the waiting room!

Model 3 Performance
EXT: White
INT: Black
OD: 12/02/2022
VIN: N/A
EDD: N/A

App is still saying 14-20 weeks so hopefully I made the cut-off before the recent change to 5-7 months...

Is it normal that no one has contacted me yet? I completed all the registration info, etc. on the day I ordered, and it just says to wait for the final invoice to be uploaded. Should I reach out myself?

Providing more affordable insurance & family-friendly car options are pretty much common goals for most major brands, Tesla included. This is why Tesla is rolling out it's own insurance plans in US to provide more affordable options to its owners, for overseas markets - the 2022 M3 RWD had fulfilled these two options in a global scale, not only just for "NSW and VIC p-platers" & their families.
Just did a quick quote on budget direct using the same parameters of a hypothetical person, 2021 SR = $1418.87, 2022 SR, = $1407.72, a little cheaper.
Didn't compare other insurance providers, but that 0.5sec slow didn't seem to have a major impact on the premium.
Anyway, I agreed that Tesla should capture a larger market but probably with a low entry cost model rather than performance cut.

Is it normal that no one has contacted me yet? I completed all the registration info, etc. on the day I ordered, and it just says to wait for the final invoice to be uploaded. Should I reach out myself?
Don't bother contacting them until at least May.

I've ordered on 12/24/2021 and I have only gotten two SMSs so far and zero calls. First SMS from Plenti Finance in mid-Jan saying it's ready, and second SMS from Tesla on Feb 10th saying that a vehicle has been assigned to my order and to check my EDD on my account page.

Hi all,

Joining the waiting room!

Model 3 Performance
EXT: White
INT: Black
OD: 12/02/2022
VIN: N/A
EDD: N/A

App is still saying 14-20 weeks so hopefully I made the cut-off before the recent change to 5-7 months...

Model 3 P here also 15/2 Blue/White

Where in the app are you seeing the date? I have nothing still.

Reactions: Loxmyf