Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving ~100km over 2 weeks... Car is ok, but nearly got into accident. Was leaving carpark, got to exit lane on the left, stopped to give way to another car, put left blinker on, started moving... And realised I'm moving backwards, almost hit the car behind me. Muscle memory from other car I drive, so I used right stalk instead of left for blinkers. That decision to put both gear shift and AP on the stalk that is used for blinkers on most of RHD AU cars is really not safe.

Another news, Tesla loan partners bumped up the rate to 3.99% (was 2.99%)
The right stalk gear shift is the same as some Mercedes models. Old Tesla Model S has Mercedes-style cruise control using a small stalk below the turn signal stalk on the left side. Mercedes and Tesla did share some technologies back in the day (e.g., the stalks from Mercedes, electric B-Class using Tesla battery and drive train).

I used to have a Mercedes and a Japanese car, so I was used switching between left and right stalks for turn indicator. However, during my first week of driving my Model 3, I also made a mistake as my brain switched to non-Mercedes mode and used the right stalk to indicate switching lane and ended up turning TACC on. As the turn signal didn't switch on, I instantly pushed down the stalk again and turned Autopilot on. I realised there was that resistance when moving the steering wheel to change lane. It was a harmless event, but I realised a worse mistake can be made.

Like all European and American car makers, they don't switch the stalks when converting to RHD countries, so Tesla is just doing the same. Well, at least until the latest stalkless S/X.

Muscle memory from other car I drive, so I used right stalk instead of left for blinkers. That decision to put both gear shift and AP on the stalk that is used for blinkers on most of RHD AU cars is really not safe.

I have a Nissan Leaf with blinker stalk on the right, and Model 3 with the blinker stalk on the left. If I am ever momentarily confused as to which one I should use, I quickly look through the steering wheel to sight the blinker arrow icons on the stalk. Confusion gone. It works for me.

Reactions: Benzz
After driving ~100km over 2 weeks... Car is ok, but nearly got into accident. Was leaving carpark, got to exit lane on the left, stopped to give way to another car, put left blinker on, started moving... And realised I'm moving backwards, almost hit the car behind me. Muscle memory from other car I drive, so I used right stalk instead of left for blinkers. That decision to put both gear shift and AP on the stalk that is used for blinkers on most of RHD AU cars is really not safe.

Another news, Tesla loan partners bumped up the rate to 3.99% (was 2.99%)
New member - LR Blue/Black ordered 26/11/2021, originally 8 -12 weeks. Currently no VIN and no EDD, hoping for the next shipment.

Sorry for the long first post, I culled it down as much as I could, is there a better forum to continue this discussion? Even when you get used to this, what about when you lend your car to a Commodore driving relative/friend!

My initial reaction to your experience was "you will get used to it like all us other European car owners". But on reflection I think this is a VERY serious safety issue. My wife and I haven't had a right hand blinker car for 20 years (but the kids have). My wife has a Mercedes B Class with the silly shift stalk on the right. I don't drive my wife's car very much but every now and then I have a brain fade and have used the right stalk for blinkers. However, the difference in the Merc is that it gives you neutral, not reverse. It is annoying but I guess not really dangerous. I don't have my Tesla yet to try it out but it seems it is worse in the Tesla since it will shift to Reverse even if you are going forward at up to 8kph ( do you have to have your foot on the brake to do that, the manual doesn't really say). So in a car park I can easily envisage how you could end up in reverse and it might not just be a car behind you that you hit, pedestrians often walk behind you as you slowly move forward.

Anyway, I have 2 suggestions, one a mitigation and the other a possible solution (undoubtedly there are other solutions).

1/. My BMW has a hidden setting you can change with the Bimmercode app that makes it beep in the cabin when you are in reverse, Apparently this is a requirement in Japan (and apparently very annoying) so I assume Tesla would already have the function for Japanese cars. So they could make this an optional setting and then at least you would be aware that you did it.

2/. They could make the action to select reverse to be foot on brake, push stalk up and then a momentary press of the left scroll button on the steering wheel. Might be a tad annoying but I think I could get used to it and better than an injured or dead pedestrian.

Both these suggestions would be a SMOP (Small Matter of Programming) and of course they can just push it out over the air.

Americans won't understand this problem at all, but Hertz are now renting the Model 3 and Y in the USA, so they will be getting tourists from right hand drive countries who are already a bit stressed from coping with driving on the other side of the road etc, so I think it is a problem for the USA too (and all the other left hand drive countries).

Does anyone know how to communicate to Elon Musk?

😁 everywhere
I received my M3 RWD on March 2 after 3.5 month wait. The only gap issue is boot lid on left side of the car - slightly wider gap. Does not worry me much, however we all found seats having too much lumbar support, including the back ones. If anyone has back issues I recommend going for another longer test drive. I am trying to insert small towels behind the frame of the front seats above the lumbar area thanks to relatively easy access from the back, but feel like I will have to take some of the foam off, wife's spinal issue got seriously aggravated by the seats

This bit is actually the one that worries me the most. I am also using Plenti for loan, and had it sorted within a day or two of ordering the car (16 Feb). However, I read somewhere here that the agreement was only for 90 days. So I call Plenti and they only say not to worry and if at the end of 90 days I still haven't got the car (most likely not - yes, I know, definitely will not get it by then but don't burst my bubble, kay :p) just to call them and provide supporting documents again to renew it.

Now, I have not asked what happened if you have got pre-approval and the rates change. I know if you already got the loan (e.g. 3 months after delivery) and the rates change you will still get the 2.99% but am unsure what happened if the rates change before you get your car.

Might give Plenti a call on Monday.

Macquarie at least really stressed the 3 months when I did pre approval. I told them that the car wasn't estimated for delivery for 5-7 months. They said that at the 3 month mark they'll contact me for an update, and can extend it for "up to another 3 months". So unless this is delivered late August/early September, they'll probably tell me to pound sand and start the whole process again.

I received my M3 RWD on March 2 after 3.5 month wait. The only gap issue is boot lid on left side of the car - slightly wider gap. Does not worry me much, however we all found seats having too much lumbar support, including the back ones. If anyone has back issues I recommend going for another longer test drive. I am trying to insert small towels behind the frame of the front seats above the lumbar area thanks to relatively easy access from the back, but feel like I will have to take some of the foam off, wife's spinal issue got seriously aggravated by the seats
😀 the post you replied to was about a 18cm die-cast model. Expectimg the real the thing to be built much better

New member - LR Blue/Black ordered 26/11/2021, originally 8 -12 weeks. Currently no VIN and no EDD, hoping for the next shipment.

Sorry for the long first post, I culled it down as much as I could, is there a better forum to continue this discussion? Even when you get used to this, what about when you lend your car to a Commodore driving relative/friend!

My initial reaction to your experience was "you will get used to it like all us other European car owners". But on reflection I think this is a VERY serious safety issue. My wife and I haven't had a right hand blinker car for 20 years (but the kids have). My wife has a Mercedes B Class with the silly shift stalk on the right. I don't drive my wife's car very much but every now and then I have a brain fade and have used the right stalk for blinkers. However, the difference in the Merc is that it gives you neutral, not reverse. It is annoying but I guess not really dangerous. I don't have my Tesla yet to try it out but it seems it is worse in the Tesla since it will shift to Reverse even if you are going forward at up to 8kph ( do you have to have your foot on the brake to do that, the manual doesn't really say). So in a car park I can easily envisage how you could end up in reverse and it might not just be a car behind you that you hit, pedestrians often walk behind you as you slowly move forward.

Anyway, I have 2 suggestions, one a mitigation and the other a possible solution (undoubtedly there are other solutions).

1/. My BMW has a hidden setting you can change with the Bimmercode app that makes it beep in the cabin when you are in reverse, Apparently this is a requirement in Japan (and apparently very annoying) so I assume Tesla would already have the function for Japanese cars. So they could make this an optional setting and then at least you would be aware that you did it.

2/. They could make the action to select reverse to be foot on brake, push stalk up and then a momentary press of the left scroll button on the steering wheel. Might be a tad annoying but I think I could get used to it and better than an injured or dead pedestrian.

Both these suggestions would be a SMOP (Small Matter of Programming) and of course they can just push it out over the air.

Americans won't understand this problem at all, but Hertz are now renting the Model 3 and Y in the USA, so they will be getting tourists from right hand drive countries who are already a bit stressed from coping with driving on the other side of the road etc, so I think it is a problem for the USA too (and all the other left hand drive countries).

Does anyone know how to communicate to Elon Musk?

My view on this issue below:

I have owned a variety of left blinker cars (AMG, AUDI x 2, LR Discovery x 3, VW, Tesla) and right blinker cars (Commodore, Subaru x 2, Hyundai x 3, Suzuki) and cannot understand the issue mentioned above.
If you are incapable of remembering which side the indicator is on, how can you operate a vehicle in a LHD country? Or find the volume controls or cruise controls in an unfamiliar vehicle?
I personally feel that if you are so unaware of what you are doing when controlling a 2+ tonne bit of machinery then you shouldnt be operating one.

In addition, the Tesla stalks have a very distinct "movement" and it is almost impossible to accidentally operate them without realising whats happening. i.e. to go from a 3 blink press to full blinker it is a very solid movement required. Likewise moving into drive or reverse requires a similarly forceful movement.

Lasly, if you shift into reverse, the cameras come up and cover the whole screen. Impossible to not realise what is happening.

Reactions: Benzz
😃
Because our cars won't arrive if they can't make them!

I don't think this is going to be an issue for the Australian market at all. It will obviously have an impact on the local deliveries within China, but local car deliveries can wait a little bit more, shipping cars across the Pacific Ocean on a boat that is pre-booked generally cannot. I think the logistical headache that arises will sway them to continue their planned international exports.

Reactions: Julcars
We currently have a Skoda Superb wagon (indicator stalk on the left) and a Mazda3 hatch (indicator stalk on the right). You sometimes get into whichever one you haven’t driven for a while, get to the end of the street and promptly wipe a dry screen instead of indicating.

But it's not a regular event - generally I know which stalk to hit without having to think about it.

Anyway, the Model 3 will be replacing the Mazda and then both our cars will have indicator stalks on the right (er, correct) side!

Reactions: Benzz and Loxmyf
We currently have a Skoda Superb wagon (indicator stalk on the left) and a Mazda3 hatch (indicator stalk on the right). You sometimes get into whichever one you haven’t driven for a while, get to the end of the street and promptly wipe a dry screen instead of indicating.

But it's not a regular event - generally I know which stalk to hit without having to think about it.

Anyway, the Model 3 will be replacing the Mazda and then both our cars will have indicator stalks on the right (er, correct) side!
Please send instructions how to successfully Zen? (have same OD as you, and little to no Zen) 😆😆😆