Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same email. So pissed off. I already have my finance approved and I'm scheduled to take delivery in 4 days (they literally settle the invoice 2-3 days before delivery, so I don't have time to organise anything else even if I could.)

I'd previously seen emails suggesting that this would apply to vehicles delivered from 1 May onwards. I've emailed back to check if this does actually apply to me.

Update:
As your application is already ready for settlement, your rate will stay at 2.99%.

Thank you.

Thanks Pepper! :)

Reactions: ianhutch1
I got the same email. So pissed off. I already have my finance approved and I'm scheduled to take delivery in 4 days (they literally settle the invoice 2-3 days before delivery, so I don't have time to organise anything else even if I could.)

I'd previously seen emails suggesting that this would apply to vehicles delivered from 1 May onwards. I've emailed back to check if this does actually apply to me.

Update:

That's a positive update. Looking at Tesla's site, it seems that when you Calculate Financing (as if you were to buy one, again), the rate listed in the calculations is now 3.99%. So it's inevitable that the other two are definitely planning to adjust to this. Or Tesla is calculating at worst-case scenario.

My first batch of accessories just arrived from Tessories. I now have a sunroof and a lower boot mat. But no Tesla to put them in for at least 4.5 months 😭

Reactions: DM221291
  • Funny
Reactions: DM221291 and Loxmyf
For someone who has just recently received their Tesla you seem very negative about the whole experience.

I do agree that the gear selector is different to a lot of other cars but it is also similar to a lot of cars as mentioned.
You mention it being a safety issue but if you were used to the car it wouldn't be a problem hence my reply of "Just something to get used to"
No car is exactly the same as any other and most cars have electronic gear shifters these days too.
Also the Jeep one was different altogether as the vehicle wouldn't automatically put itself into park. The the Star Trek actor got out of his with it in Neutral and got run over.

I don't see BMW, Hyundai, or VW getting any flack for their electronic shifters at all. Some of which are on stalks much like the Tecla's.
Mercedes also do not get any flack for their stalk shifter which the design and function is where the Tesla one comes from.
It could be worse too. There was a car I recently drove which had the Cruise Control stalk in about the same location as where I am used to indicators being.
What would you have said if an accident was caused by inadvertently resuming the cruise control instead of indicating?
It just takes a little more care until you are used to where everything is.

Your comment about the house fire is very premature as well. There is not yet any proof that it was the car that caused the fire.
It could have been wiring or a petrol car that was in the garage amongst a whole list of other possible ignition sources for the fire.
In fact there is now this article which reports there was no Tesla or charging equipment.
FAKE NEWS: A Tesla did NOT burn down a Sydney home last night - techAU
Missing the key point. Mercedes gives you neutral, so it is annoying but not unsafe ( I saw a post that says that Tesla got the stalks from Mercedes originally for the model S, so that's maybe why the model S gives you neutral and the Model 3 doesn't). The Tesla gives you reverse (for a wrong left blinker) which could be unsafe. I'm constructing my email to send to Tesla, If they consider they don't need to do anything then so be it. But I suspect the American designers are probably not aware of it. I feel a responsibility to point it out to them rather than wait for a pedestrian to be injured or worse. Probably won't ever cause me personally to have a serious problem, but it might (or one of my children borrowing the car). Why do we have lane departure warning/correction, can't most people drive between the lane lines most of the time? You see the simillarity ( I love lane departure warning in my BMW, looking forward to also having correction in the Tesla).

Update:

Haven't got the email from Pepper, but given that I am looking at July - Sept delivery date... it's only a matter of time... not ideal

I understand that you trying rationalise it, but, as I said, I got real situation this Sunday on the parking lot, and nothing stopped the car from going in reverse. I was lucky that the nearest object was ~3 meters behind me. Please stop explaining me how the car was fine, and I was wrong, that's some "teslasplaining" :)

I'm pretty sure that there are scenarios close to mine (switching different cars often, Tesla 3 not the main car) that would lead to accidents, it's just a matter of number of cars sold. Could be easily prevented with proper design - sound warning or gear stalk behaving in different way to blinkers (for example, requirement to pull the lever before moving up/down).
I do believe this issue is now redundant in the new Model S and Y with the new steering yoke. Will be interesting to see if this makes it way to the Model 3 in time...

I'm curious. The Morning Clara apparently departed on Friday (1/04) heading for Australia. Are there Model 3s on that or was that filled by other brands such as Polestar or MG?
The Shanghai lock down is likely to impact all of the manufacturers shipping from that port, it's a hard core lock down across a wide area. It'll be interesting to see if the ships adjust their schedules.

Tesla also has a driver setting that automatically brakes to prevent low-speed collisions, even if all the ducks lined up in your hypothetical.
OK, so AEB works in reverse in the Model 3? I know it does in some cars, but is the Model 3 one of them?

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

"Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to reduce the impact of frontal collisions only and does not function when Model 3 is in Reverse."

Reactions: kalamata