Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shanghai is still in lockdown so I'm assuming that means Tesla is too. Unless they've been able to close loop the factory?
I just got off the phone from one of my workmates in Shanghai. They are definitely locked down - a lockdown that makes Melbourne's effort look like a Covid spreader party. They can't leave their houses for any reason at all. City of 28,000,000 and the only cars on the street are ambulances and the occasional cop car. Doesn't sound positive for getting giga opened too quickly. :(

Reactions: PcS000
Any news on whether the Giga Shanghai have started production? Doesn't seem to be any news on this.
Found this recent update from Reuters:

SHANGHAI, April 3 (Reuters) - Tesla has notified workers and suppliers that production at its Shanghai factory will not resume on Monday as it had hoped, according to an internal notice shared with Reuters.

Reuters reported earlier on Sunday that the U.S. automaker aimed to resume production on Monday, citing two sources, as it expected to see its first batch of workers released from a lockdown the city imposed to combat a surge in COVID-19 cases.

However, Monday production plans have now been cancelled, according to the notice, which did not elaborate on the reasons or say when the company expected activity to resume.

Production at Tesla's Shanghai factory, which produces cars for the China market and is also a crucial export hub, has been halted since March 28 after the government launched a two-stage lockdown that started in areas east of the city's Huangpu River where the plant is located.

Tesla had originally hoped to only halt operations for four days, but cancelled production plans for Friday and Saturday after the authorities extended tight movement restrictions in the eastern half of the city. Virtually all of Shanghai is currently under lockdown.

The current stoppage marks one of the longest suspensions since the factory started production in late 2019. Tesla manufactures 6,000 Model 3 and 10,000 Model Y cars per week at its Shanghai factory, one of the sources said.

Tesla did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

"This was an *exceptionally* difficult quarter due to supply chain interruptions and China zero-COVID policy," its chief executive officer Elon Musk said in a tweet on Saturday.

Many articles stating that shanghai will reopen April 11th. With April 18th being the latest. Do we miss the boat? Where (who’s) will the resume production at? Not nice times i feel.
OD: 29/01/22
Model: LR White/White

Rang my SA today. I have the 12-20 week timeframe. SA said they don't anticipate the timeframe blowing out for my order. I actually don't even mind if they do. Since ordering i have received a bunch of unanticipated extras that M3s weren't being delivered with at the time of ordering. Ryzen chip is the biggest. The wait is excruciating for sure for sure but the upshot is you might end up with some new toys in your car.

OD: 29/01/22
Model: LR White/White

Rang my SA today. I have the 12-20 week timeframe. SA said they don't anticipate the timeframe blowing out for my order. I actually don't even mind if they do. Since ordering i have received a bunch of unanticipated extras that M3s weren't being delivered with at the time of ordering. Ryzen chip is the biggest. The wait is excruciating for sure for sure but the upshot is you might end up with some new toys in your car.
*14-20 week

SR, Blue/Black.

Ordered 4th of February with a 14-20 week wait time.

I did ask my sales rep if I should expect around Mid-May and he said that was probably right. But that I'd also expect to see my delivery window about 5 weeks from whenever its coming. To be honest, if it slips into early June I won't mind that much, as I have an overseas trip end of May and would really hate getting to play with the new car for a few days before having to leave.

Reactions: PcS000
SR, Blue/Black.

Ordered 4th of February with a 14-20 week wait time.

I did ask my sales rep if I should expect around Mid-May and he said that was probably right. But that I'd also expect to see my delivery window about 5 weeks from whenever its coming. To be honest, if it slips into early June I won't mind that much, as I have an overseas trip end of May and would really hate getting to play with the new car for a few days before having to leave.
Giving me hope! My OD is really only a few days after you but I have been expecting a pretty long wait. Good luck to us all!

Since ordering i have received a bunch of unanticipated extras that M3s weren't being delivered with at the time of ordering. Ryzen chip is the biggest. The wait is excruciating for sure for sure but the upshot is you might end up with some new toys in your car.
M3's came out of giga Shanghai since early Jan 2022 have the following updates:
  • Ryzen chip (replaced intel atom chip)
  • compact & long lasting 12v Li-ion battery (replaced 12v lead-acid battery - 12kg+)
  • windscreen wipers heaters
  • new redesign LED tail light cluster (dual reversing lights, larger brake/turning lights)
  • Darker roof glass tint
Above updates had confirmed by SA's since early Jan, and also AU owners in this group started taking 2022 deliveries from early-mid Feb. If you had ordered your M3 on 29/01, further delay to your delivery date is unlikely to add any extras to the final car, giving the upward pressure on pricing & global chip shortage.

Having said that, the following features were rumoured to be added to 2022 M3's since late last year:
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Double-pane rear window glass

Last edited:
Reactions: Avoz