Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I missing something?
I'll end up with both in my family. My personal preference will always be to drive the 3, however the Y is a better choice :
  1. You're doing a long trip with medium to tall passengers in the back seat. The rear seat in the 3 is too low and so you end up sitting knees up (half squat?) which gets uncomfortable for more than hour back there.
  2. Needing to carry anything bulky. The 3's boot opening isn't large enough to load or stow bulky items.
When it comes to performance, driving experience, ride comfort, and efficiency, the 3 is a better mouse trap.

That said, we're all different and have our own opinions. It's fine if the Y isn't for you, but ask yourself whether you're making a positive contribution to the forum by making derogatory comments about it.

We’re coming from an X5 so we were unsure the M3 would work. Have one on order but seemed like the MY would bridge the gap in size - so ordered this morning. Likely cancel M3 order or potentially deliver and sell immediately - would be great to make the $3k rebate I’m not getting on the MY

Viking Passama 24/7 pick up would be more likely. Not sure if that has ever transferred Teslas but those dates would be more what I would expect.
How negative can you be? VP has never delivered Teslas plus it won't get into Port Kembla until 11 Aug, which will leave only 7 weeks in the quarter for any more deliveries. If Tesla is going to at least catch up Q2 M3 orders and deliver some Ys (initial Aug deliveries), then they will need 3 RORO during the quarter.

I'll end up with both in my family. My personal preference will always be to drive the 3, however the Y is a better choice :
  1. You're doing a long trip with medium to tall passengers in the back seat. The rear seat in the 3 is too low and so you end up sitting knees up (half squat?) which gets uncomfortable for more than hour back there.
  2. Needing to carry anything bulky. The 3's boot opening isn't large enough to load or stow bulky items.
When it comes to performance, driving experience, ride comfort, and efficiency, the 3 is a better mouse trap.

That said, we're all different and have our own opinions. It's fine if the Y isn't for you, but ask yourself whether you're making a positive contribution to the forum by making derogatory comments about it.
Doesn't being critical mean it's a healthy discussion? it's all about gauging opinions which is what forums are all about. Thanks, I liked your answer btw

For me, I'll be replacing a Mazda CX-5 even though I have oversized kids. From the looks of it, the M3 rear seats are bigger anyways haha.

I'm in Melbourne, SimplyEnergy - Simply Electric Vehicle Plan - Have yet to sign up - don't need it yet.

From the website.
  • A special Super Off-Peak Discount of 6 cents/kWh for charging your EV between 12 am – 6 am.
  • 5,000km* of bonus charging (that's a $200 credit to your electricity bill).
That would work so well with Powerwall, fill up battery from grid @6c every night and charge car/power house whenever. Unless SimplyEnergy restrict grid draw...

That would work so well with Powerwall, fill up battery from grid @6c every night and charge car/power house whenever. Unless SimplyEnergy restrict grid draw...
HAH.. Solar charging the battery (10kw LG) on a good day - keeps the house going until 8am-sometimes 10am depending on night time activity..

don't really need to steal from the grid to charge the battery .. although the 6c would be a blessing if I ever turn the miner box on again..

Doesn't being critical mean it's a healthy discussion? it's all about gauging opinions which is what forums are all about. Thanks, I liked your answer btw

For me, I'll be replacing a Mazda CX-5 even though I have oversized kids. From the looks of it, the M3 rear seats are bigger anyways haha.
I still have my biggish ICE SUV [Ssang Yong Korando, now 9 years old] and recently sold my Honda CRZ Hybrid sporty car. The M3 fits the bill perfectly for my longer legs on longer trips, even if i have to sit in the back some times. So for picking up that dryer, I'll keep the SY, but for travel the M3 will be my "keeper".

Reactions: Hazygrunt
HAH.. Solar charging the battery (10kw LG) on a good day - keeps the house going until 8am-sometimes 10am depending on night time activity..

don't really need to steal from the grid to charge the battery .. although the 6c would be a blessing if I ever turn the miner box on again..
Correct me if I'm wrong but that super off-peak discount represents 6 cents off whatever the market rate is for charging between 12am-6am. I put my postcode in and the market rate I'm getting between those hours is 17.71 cents.

So my understanding is the rate during off-peak is 17.71 - 6 = 11.71c/kwh. Factoring in the higher on-peak rates compared to other providers, and a higher daily supply charge for my personal consumption (and assuming I charge my model 3 once a week) I'd be behind with my current provider (21c/kwh and 66c daily rate).

If it is actually 6c/kwh then I'll be signing up!

I'm in Melbourne, SimplyEnergy - Simply Electric Vehicle Plan - Have yet to sign up - don't need it yet.

From the website.
  • A special Super Off-Peak Discount of 6 cents/kWh for charging your EV between 12 am – 6 am.
  • 5,000km* of bonus charging (that's a $200 credit to your electricity bill).
Thanks. I am in QLD and it's only for Victorians. I"ll continue looking. (Currently get the 44c rebate + 5c fit so can't complain.)

Honestly my optimism is wearing a bit thin at this point. Instead of rectifying the big delivery problem caused by a series of delivery goals that Tesla were evidently unable to achieve, even prior to lockdown, they open up Model Y orders and make that goal twice as hard to acheive? They now have twice the orders between now and November which will require twice the production and twice the ships. Concerning.

Has any of we lucky "few" who were given a VIN about 3 weeks ago and told our cars were coming "real soon now" actually received a car yet? I haven't been able to get any response (by phone or SMS) from my SA for a couple of weeks. I haven't actually even got confirmation that the cars have landed, although it seems they had to be on Turandot and unloaded Sunday 5th June at Port Kembla. I've paid all my money as at 8th June and still no contact of any kind. I currently have edd of 8th June - 19th June. Monday is a public holiday in NSW and the 19th is a Sunday and I doubt they deliver cars on a Sunday (or even a Saturday), so they only have 4 more working days to deliver my car and I would have thought they would have reached out by now. I also sold my BMW last Monday, so I now have to negotiate with my wife to use her car, not a pleasant experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormaus
Has any of we lucky "few" who were given a VIN about 3 weeks ago and told our cars were coming "real soon now" actually received a car yet? I haven't been able to get any response (by phone or SMS) from my SA for a couple of weeks. I haven't actually even got confirmation that the cars have landed, although it seems they had to be on Turandot and unloaded Sunday 5th June at Port Kembla. I've paid all my money as at 8th June and still no contact of any kind. I currently have edd of 8th June - 19th June. Monday is a public holiday in NSW and the 19th is a Sunday and I doubt they deliver cars on a Sunday (or even a Saturday), so they only have 4 more working days to deliver my car and I would have thought they would have reached out by now. I also sold my BMW last Monday, so I now have to negotiate with my wife to use her car, not a pleasant experience.
Ouch. I was given a verbal date of the end of the month, still nothing in the app.

I would have thought that the cars were on the same ship as the dealer MY's this week. Maybe they needed a few extra days to move the MY's for the launch