Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to figure if getting the wall charger is going to be needed or just use the UMC and hope I don't do many really long trips.. new cable to garage will need to be aerial if I don't want to dig up the concrete...
It's a good strategy starting with the UMC and then working out what you need if you're unsure about doing back to back 200km/day.

Have basically bought no accessories other than gen 3 wall charger. While many do look really appealing, I’m gonna wait and see what I feel I really need/want after driving the car for a little while.

I’ve gone for the Gen 3 over just using the UMC because I intend to do the bulk of my charging at home via solar using charge HQ. Having a high capacity charger will allow me grab as much excess solar as possible while it is available. Also allows me to just keep the UMC in the trunk/subtrunk/frunk for the occasional time it might come in handy when I’m away from home.

I am trying to figure if getting the wall charger is going to be needed or just use the UMC and hope I don't do many really long trips.. new cable to garage will need to be aerial if I don't want to dig up the concrete...
I’m going with UMC to begin with as my work commute is under 50k a day.
Weekends maybe do 100k around town and plan to occasionally use paid chargers whilst I get a feel for it.
Sussed the sparky out for install options in any case. Was considering a 15/20a plug instead for garage as dual purpose if I want to run a high powered appliance (welder/visiting caravan) / higher powered UMC tail.
Its a big decision - I’m still not sold on the math of fully wired wall charger for my situation (even accounting for the cheaper tariff for a wired charger)

So…ship watchers… Morning Crystal didn’t anchor nor dock at Shanghai. Is moving to Longkou.
Wasn’t expecting much from it (given M3 line closure) but curious given Armacup schedule.
As of 18 minutes ago it is still floating around the anchorage at Shanghai.

1658720462729.png

Advan GT with 265/35/19 PS4S rubber and centre caps
Rays TE 37 with 265/35/19 PS4S rubber and centre caps (couldn’t decide, so got both)
Kics T107 lug nuts
Kics R40 lug nuts
HPWC
Carpro ceramic coating kit
Tesla roof shades
Heatshield shades for all windows
Mountain pass coilovers and adjustable arms

There’s probably other bits I’ve forgotten.

If you add the wall mounted pressure washer with retractable reel, along with tools I purchased to fit the MPP bits it’s well over 30k 🙈

Don’t tell the wife!
Hopefully you will take some time from enjoying your Tesla to report back on your thoughts about the Mountain Pass coilovers. I for one would be very keen to hear how you go. May the car come sooner than later August. Good luck.

Reactions: Bennny
I also got a Zappi with my solar install. Obviously yet to try it out, but one thing I've since realised is that it doesn't come with the button to open the car charge port/release the cable, that the Tesla chargers will... so will require phone faffing.
Bingo! The main benefit of the Tesla charger, aside from cost, is the ability to unlock the charging cable with the button.

Without it, you either have to get in the car and unlock it on the screen or fish out your phone, open the app and hit stop charging which can quickly get tedious..

Alternatively, you can get the key (car) fob, which unlocks the cable by pressing and holding the boot.

Another little bonus is the ability to open the charge port, though as others have said, you can do it by tapping the port..

Hopefully you will take some time from enjoying your Tesla to report back on your thoughts about the Mountain Pass coilovers. I for one would be very keen to hear how you go. May the car come sooner than later August. Good luck.
Absolutely. I’ll do a bit of a write up on the install process, ordering process, clearing customs process (a saga in itself), and most importantly - my thoughts on the product.

I went for the sports, which may not be for everyone.

I just grabbed a 3 phase tail for the UMC and got a 3 phase plug installed. I can't see myself taking the UMC with me too often it will just stay in the shed unless on some long trip. Enough chargers around for day to day if needed without sitting somewhere at 10km/h charging.

Electrician said if I wanted a gen 3 down the track he can just chuck a 3 phase plug on it and plug it into the existing socket and mount on the wall next to it.

Charge HQ works with the UMC so solar only charging is fine without any massive expense of the Zappi.

Total you need to spend on your new M3 to enjoy it = zero.

I don’t drink, I don’t gamble, I don’t smoke or take drugs, I’ve worked very hard for a long time to build a business which is now doing ok.

Don’t let my spending on my one guilty pleasure (cars) detract from your pleasure of ownership - enjoy her in good health! We are all very lucky to own one of these, full stop.
Actually wife highlighted I was wrong saying I have spent $zero on accessories.

I spent $350 on ordering an MY/P as a companion for the imminent M3LR.

Reactions: New Tech Bj