Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Note above the table reads: Some Tesla vehicles may draw less current than the maximum output. Actual charging rate depends on the Wall Connector output and onboard charger in the vehicle. See Tesla website for vehicle specifications.
Thats the catch, the onboard charger in a model 3 supports only up to 16A in multi phase charging.

Thanks melo - so it seems that unless full 3 phase is available both the UMC and Wall Connector max out at ~7kW charging for Model 3.

“See Tesla website for vehicle specifications.”

Trouble is - can anyone find this detail on Tesla website? (Seems we have to rely on YouTube teardowns to find out?)

Thanks melo - so it seems that unless full 3 phase is available both the UMC and Wall Connector max out at ~7kW charging for Model 3.

“See Tesla website for vehicle specifications.”

Trouble is - can anyone find this detail on Tesla website? (Seems we have to rely on YouTube teardowns to find out?)
Info is there on the Tesla site
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_AU.pdf

Wall Connector

UMC can only support single phase and wall connector can support both single and three phase. UMC can (with the right tail) connect using a 5 pin three phase but only uses one of them at single phase speeds.

Single phase at 32 amps can charge at 7kW max. Three phase at 16 amps can charge at 11kW max as this is the car’s ac to dc inverter limit.

Reactions: ChrisAKAHydra
The HPWC manual says 2 phase at 25amps will supply Power Output of 11.5kW

Would this work for Model 3 giving it the 11kW max speed charge?
It's only a matter of weeks until i charge our car on a 2 phase system. I'll let you all know if I get 7kw or 11kw. The Tesla manual says "like on the picture I showed" the gen3 will give 14.7kw wired as a 2 phase in the description on the next page or there about. That way there's no arguments, time will tell 👍

Reactions: tsnq and Ormaus
That’s what we need….. not random but orderly assignments!
There! Fixed it for you! Much more accurate now! A new version of Tesla Vision

1658834159636.png

Yes, laser guided darts

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_AU.pdf

Wall Connector

UMC can only support single phase and wall connector can support both single and three phase. UMC can (with the right tail) connect using a 5 pin three phase but only uses one of them at single phase speeds.

Single phase at 32 amps can charge at 7kW max. Three phase at 16 amps can charge at 11kW max as this is the car’s ac to dc inverter limit.
I was looking at 2 Phase (yes I have 2 phase home) and the Wall Connector documentation suggests it could deliver 11kW (at 25amps 2 phase) but it seems the Model 3 can only take 16amp per phase (<= This is the bit that is hard to find any documentation about) so even on 2 phase it will max out at 7kW intake.

(So I may as well just stick to the UMC with a 32amp tail and get 7kW. )

Reactions: Blaq
It's only a matter of weeks until i charge our car on a 2 phase system. I'll let you all know if I get 7kw or 11kw. The Tesla manual says "like on the picture I showed" the gen3 will give 14.7kw wired as a 2 phase in the description on the next page or there about. That way there's no arguments, time will tell 👍
Oh great! Yes please let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Braz
I've got 2 phase, 32 amp dedicated circuit, Gen 3 Charger.

7Kw is it.

Wall Connector

I better check mine I swear it could crank higher for the LR and performance model 3 as they can take up to 22kw

Last edited:
NCA for the LR and P ..... LFP for RWD?
there is a thread on this.

see below from Tesla's support page
1658872436464.png

LFP = Lithium Iron Phosphate
Recommended 'daily' maximum charge up to 100%. Tesla says this battery can be charged up to 100% without risk of battery degrade.
RWD 'daily' max range = 100% battery = 491km
RWD 'trip' max range (for occasional long trips) = 100% battery = 491km

NCA = Lithium 'Nickel Cobalt Aluminum' oxides
Recommended 'daily' maximum charge up to 90% to ensure battery does not degrade over time
LR 'daily' max range = 602km * 90% = 542km
LR 'trip' max range (for occasional long trips) = 100% battery = 602km

P 'daily' max range = 547km * 90% = 493km
P 'trip' max range (for occasional long trips) = 100% battery = 547km

Of course above not real world ranges numbers.
from the articles it seems that the LFP batteries have less density, meaning it require more space under the floor than NCA batteries and hence Tesla has not found a way to fit larger kWh size (>75kWh) LFP batteries in LR and P yet.