Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not unreasonable thinking, but you’re assuming they’re going to start up the line making RHD 3s for Australia!
Been thinking about the whole LHD/RHD production line thing. Does anyone know how much structural difference there is between the two? Given that there isn't any part differences (I think) they could be just chucked into a different side of the car by the human/robot as the car comes down the line. Or is the pressed metal substructure etc completely difference in the front where the steering is routed?

The whole dash assembly and wireing harness, steering linkage and colloum would be different however the indicater stalk is on the off side so there is something there. You would think that standardization for the body and sub-frame would prevail but its possible there are L and R bodies for mounting points. Its possible that the VIN is the first part of the construction. I think parts manufacturers have the stock and Shanghai throw it all together ...one every 44 seconds.!!! (after the paint has dried)

• Love
Reactions: axelfair89
My last puncture [about 5 years ago] on a good highway surface between Charleville and Cunnamulla in QLD - quite way out there.
No screws or nails, but 'roo bone through sidewall. Needed a new tyre.
Regardless, pump and plugs are part of my kit
Thats "Roos Revenge" If it were the 3 LR you would have to keep blowing it up with the pump till you got to a service station or phone reception. Notice that yours and mine could be on the Viking Passama just off the QLD coast of Rockhampton VIN same date (could be twins)

Reactions: rtvanda
I have a question I'm wondering if someone can help me out with.

For context, I've been waiting for my Tesla since December 2021. I only recently got notified that my vehicle will be ready for delivery in August.

I applied for pepper finance back in January and was approved at 3% interest rate. Due to multiple delays, my Tesla rep told me they would honor the 3% interest rate.

However, I found out today that Pepper Money is no longer a Tesla partner, and my Tesla rep is saying they may no longer be able to offer me 3% interest rate.

Is anyone else in a similar boat? Is it unlikely that pepper will honor the agreed monthly payments and interest rate that we were offered when we applied back in January? Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to finance at the new interest rates of 6%??

I'm just really annoyed cause the 3% interest rate played a big role in deciding to order a Tesla on finance, and now feel like I'm screwed due to delays on Tesla's end.
Like you I sign up with Pepper at the 2.99% (Late Jan). Had to get an extension after 90 days (Apr) and received a notification the interest rate was increased to 3.99%. Car is due at the end of Aug/beginning of Sep and have just had to get another extension at 4.99% :(. Am busy trying to get Pepper to confirm that my interest rate wont increase AGAIN tomorrow when the RBA meet, since they already have the invoice and I am willing to sign contract papers. They have been dragging the chain and wont commit to anything. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have been busy with getting kicked off the Tesla approved list, but the conspiracy side of my brain suspects that they are holding out until the interest rates go up and they can pass that on.

Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have been busy with getting kicked off the Tesla approved list, but the conspiracy side of my brain suspects that they are holding out until the interest rates go up and they can pass that on.
They don't really make any more money when the interest rate is higher. They're financing your loan by issuing commercial paper to back it (they're borrowing money themselves) - when interest rates are going up they have to pay more on their own financing that's underwriting your loan.

Reactions: Maximillan
Thinking of the line upgrade in Shanghai, the Y and currently the 3, has anyone found an article online anywhere that describes what these "upgrades" are? Just wondering ... is it different routing of the line to improve efficiency ... new robots ... new assembly equipment ... new processes ?? Curious, that's all.

Reactions: axelfair89
Been thinking about the whole LHD/RHD production line thing. Does anyone know how much structural difference there is between the two? Given that there isn't any part differences (I think) they could be just chucked into a different side of the car by the human/robot as the car comes down the line. Or is the pressed metal substructure etc completely difference in the front where the steering is routed?
The main frame of the 3 is designed to be agnostic in relation to the location of the driver. The firewall has two identical openings for the steering components. On each version (L or R) the unused opening mounts the MCU and the associated liquid cooling pipes for the MCU. Pedal mounts are also the same for each side and duplicated in the pressings. Layout of the HV battery, the battery penthouse and 12V battery outlets are identical for all variants. All chassis electrical to the front of the car run through a tunnel in the frame. The only difference there is that the tunnel carries the power cables for the extra front motor for the LR and P models. Everything else is identical for all variants. The dash is the only major component that is specific to each version and that slots in during assembly to marry the dash VIN to the chassis VIN. There are differences like drivers seat which has lumbar support where the front passenger does not but these are minor compared to the overall build.

Last edited:
Thinking of the line upgrade in Shanghai, the Y and currently the 3, has anyone found an article online anywhere that describes what these "upgrades" are? Just wondering ... is it different routing of the line to improve efficiency ... new robots ... new assembly equipment ... new processes ?? Curious, that's all.
Nothing advanced like that. It's to increase 2 shifts into 3 shifts, to fit more labours into lines, to provide more power that kind of thing.

The automation in the Shanghai factory is not that fancy (probably why it has better quality than the rest).

Reactions: PcS000 and Zigman
The main frame of the 3 is designed to be agnostic in relation to the location of the driver. The firewall has two identical openings for the steering components. On each version (L or R) the unused opening mounts the MCU and the associated liquid cooling pipes for the MCU. Pedal mounts are also the same for each side and duplicated in the pressings. Layout of the HV battery, the battery penthouse and 12V battery outlets are identical for all variants. All chassis electrical to the front of the car run through a tunnel in the frame. The only difference there is that the tunnel carries the power cables for the extra front motor for the LR and P models. Everything else is identical for all variants. The dash is the only major component that is specific to each version and that slots in during assembly to marry the dash VIN to the chassis VIN. There are differences like drivers seat which has lumbar support where the front passenger does not but these are minor compared to the overall build.
Wow! Incredible! Thank you so much for the answer!

Reactions: PcS000
There would be a few country specific items as well. Australia has the rear child seat mounts on the parcel shelf that other countries don’t have. So there will be a few parts different per country

For those that have tested payment, how long did it take to go through? I did the $1 test last night and nothing changed yet.. I am sort of also waiting for another invoice cause I am changing deposit value, though not sure if that will be from Macq or Tesla as of yet... With my EDD change to a week earlier for start, I need to get my side done within the week..