Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I have a M3P coming in 4 weeks or so and now need a tow bar for a very small trailer, I’m confused with all the posts and info, is the Performance model allowed a tow bar? Sorry for all those waiting, but question may be relevant for some. V
I put an eco hitch bar on my LR (same as P). Use it to tow up to 1 tonne. From memory there was some chatter about load ratings of performance rims/tyres. Anyway I enjoy the looks I get at the boat ramp or picking up a load of sand at landscapers 😀

• Informative
Reactions: rtvanda
For what it’s worth, I ordered in early December with an 8 week delivery estimate. Will be pushing 9 months by the time my car arrives.

I asked the SA if he could throw in the boost pack or premium connectivity or something to make up for it but he basically laughed at me lol. Apparently some software updates were too much to ask for a frankly insane delivery blowout.
I'm a few weeks before you, late November... they spelt "months" wrong in my estimate of "8 to 12 weeks" too.

I asked (tongue in cheek) back on the last quarter if there would be any compo for failing to deliver twice, predictably he said no. I wasn't smart enough to think of a years premium connectivity... for $100 seems like its a fairly reasonable give away.

Hi, first post / reply, and no doubt a stupid newbie question. How do the VINs get allocated, just by order date, sequentially, or loads of other factors? I notice the list you posted (and thanks for that) has order dates from late last year to mid this year, but probably only a fraction of the total backlog.

I ordered a M3 LR, Blue on White on the 29th of April. Not heard anything from Tesla yet though, so assuming it’s still going to be a long wait. When I ordered the wait was listed as 9-12 months.

Thanks
VINs generally get allocated as the cars are built with a few variations (a very small amount before the car is built, some as late as when they are on the vessel, and some lucky people because others cancel their orders).

Tesla do not build to a specific order queue but I'm sure that look at the stats and build a range of cars based on the stats. The % of orders we have recorded closely matches the % of VINs allocated too closely to be otherwise.

It is best to think of the order queue as multiple order queues. So there is one queue for M3 RWD White/White, one for M3 RWD White/Black, one for M3 RWD Blue/White, one for ... and this seems to be indicated in the data we have.

And yes that list is only a fraction of the total list. I suspect it would be generous to call us 5% of the total. More likely much less. So the data is indicative rather than conclusive.

Just curious, how long do they take to make a car I.e picking your order number to generating a VIN?
The car build is relatively short.

From my understanding the longest part is waiting for paint to dry on the body. The assembly after that is about 90 minutes. Then testing etc. They may have sped all that up after the upgrade - difficult to tell without another one of those factory walkthroughs where Tesla answers questions etc.

As above, they dont build to order but build based on the stats for a region.

The VIN is generated as part of the build/assembly process and later on allocated to a person based on configuration, region, and eventually the order date (some people say a dart board is used in the allocation process 😇)

Wu Wa video says full production from 7th August
Saturday morning 3am....check forum on ipad ...no Vins...back to sleep....Sunday morning 3am..roll over...check forum on iPad....still no Vins reported....back to sleep...tomorrow 3am check forum on iPad please please..vin storm for model 3 RWD 🤞
my wife says I need to get a life... I think I need to get a car 😂

Has anyone traded their current vehicle and what was the trade in price like? Does Tesla follow particular data to value your trade in?
I asked through carsales, was quoted about $25k, Tesla said they'd do trade in for about $22k.. being that I still needed the car and then with this massive blow out on time, I think I am better off that I am going with the Tesla trade in.. could have been a lot more than $3k to hire a car over this time...

Reactions: Snoopy1
Pickup done and dusted. Went smoothly. First day? It's a very satisfying drive.
The rattle in my driver's door card disappeared so nothing to report re delivery issues. Only tyre pressures needed a boost to clear the warning. The ride and quietness are way better than I expected. Delighted with the vehicle and ditto the drive experience. Maybe in years to come M3s will be as common as Camrys in Port Macquarie but I feel it will be more like German makes at the price point.

The car build is relatively short.

From my understanding the longest part is waiting for paint to dry on the body. The assembly after that is about 90 minutes. Then testing etc. They may have sped all that up after the upgrade - difficult to tell without another one of those factory walkthroughs where Tesla answers questions etc.

As above, they dont build to order but build based on the stats for a region.

The VIN is generated as part of the build/assembly process and later on allocated to a person based on configuration, region, and eventually the order date (some people say a dart board is used in the allocation process 😇)
Thank you 🙏

Reactions: Ormaus
above, they dont build to order but build based on the stats for a region.

That certainly was the case. But with wait times now what they are they know exactly what they need to build.

I'm actually surprised that Tesla hasn't used this to create some more order variation at minimal cost to their efficiency.
(Eg. Say wood trim in a white car, a carbon fibre trim, a 'sports' package with red stitching on the seats)