Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of newcomers who are unfamiliar with the "Tesla delivery process". I thought I'd document what I've learnt over the last 9 months of waiting. I hope this helps people avoid having to read 700+ pages :)
  1. Customer order is placed
    1. Tesla account and order page are provisioned (your RN number is your order)
    2. SMS received "Hi $PERSON, Welcome to the Tesla Family!"
    3. EDD on the order page shows "6 to 9 months" or some month range "Aug-Nov 2022"
  2. Order is prepped in Tesla systems
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your registration document is now ready to complete"
  3. Tesla builds quarterly, so now you must wait for the next quarterly build
    1. Note: build schedule is decided by Tesla manufacturing planners, inventory is not build-to-order
  4. Every vehicle receives a VIN once it physically exists
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Final Invoice is now available"
    2. You will now see a final invoice on your order page
  5. VINs are assigned to customer orders (e.g. a VIN is matched to your RN number), this seems to occur while vehicles are waiting to be shipped
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: A Model 3 has been assigned to your order."
    2. You can now find the VIN in your order page (if it didn't appear already), or the API: https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/oxp-bff-api/user-orders
  6. Now you wait while the vehicles are shipped to their port of entry
    1. Vedaprime etc. can help with tracking the shipments
    2. EDD is now narrowed down to a date range (e.g. 7-22 September)
  7. Vehicles are unloaded at port of entry, clear customs, and are entered into the RAV database
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching"
    2. You can now find your vehicle by looking up the VIN in the RAV database: Register of Approved Vehicles Search - My ASP.NET Application
  8. Vehicles are scheduled for transport to customer delivery location
    1. EDD may keep adjusting slightly according to transport schedule and other contingencies
    2. Once a firm date exists, you get the final SMS: "Your Model 3 is ready to be scheduled for delivery!"
    3. For me, it took two business days between the "delivery approaching" and "ready for delivery" messages
  9. Now you use the Tesla link to select a pickup date and time :)
Do we have to pay at Step 4 before Step 5 happens?

Picked up my car today and already have the first service appointment scheduled lol. Luckily I caught it before driving off so got the advisor there to confirm it as well, but my driver lumbar support function is borked :(

Alexandria wasn't too busy today and they were more than happy for you to take your time testing/checking everything.

Last edited:
I see a lot of newcomers who are unfamiliar with the "Tesla delivery process". I thought I'd document what I've learnt over the last 9 months of waiting. I hope this helps people avoid having to read 700+ pages :)
  1. Customer order is placed
    1. Tesla account and order page are provisioned (your RN number is your order)
    2. SMS received "Hi $PERSON, Welcome to the Tesla Family!"
    3. EDD on the order page shows "6 to 9 months" or some month range "Aug-Nov 2022"
  2. Order is prepped in Tesla systems
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your registration document is now ready to complete"
  3. Tesla builds quarterly, so now you must wait for the next quarterly build
    1. Note: build schedule is decided by Tesla manufacturing planners, inventory is not build-to-order
  4. Every vehicle receives a VIN once it physically exists
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Final Invoice is now available"
    2. You will now see a final invoice on your order page
  5. VINs are assigned to customer orders (e.g. a VIN is matched to your RN number), this seems to occur while vehicles are waiting to be shipped
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: A Model 3 has been assigned to your order."
    2. You can now find the VIN in your order page (if it didn't appear already), or the API: https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/oxp-bff-api/user-orders
  6. Now you wait while the vehicles are shipped to their port of entry
    1. Vedaprime etc. can help with tracking the shipments
    2. EDD is now narrowed down to a date range (e.g. 7-22 September)
  7. Vehicles are unloaded at port of entry, clear customs, and are entered into the RAV database
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching"
    2. You can now find your vehicle by looking up the VIN in the RAV database: Register of Approved Vehicles Search - My ASP.NET Application
  8. Vehicles are scheduled for transport to customer delivery location
    1. EDD may keep adjusting slightly according to transport schedule and other contingencies
    2. Once a firm date exists, you get the final SMS: "Your Model 3 is ready to be scheduled for delivery!"
    3. For me, it took two business days between the "delivery approaching" and "ready for delivery" messages
  9. Now you use the Tesla link to select a pickup date and time :)
I recommend starting a new thread with this at the top and updating that first post as things change/evolve in our understanding or the actual process.

Then linking the "FAQ" thread in signatures or posting the link when answering.

Anyone wanting personalised plates in NSW should take advantage of 20% off by using promo code S822MATE during checkout.

Just ordered mine and worked a treat!

Ah I see. Would have been easier to quote the relevant paragraph but thanks for that. I guess was like that too when I was doing simple monotonous data entries into spreadsheets all day. Just did large data dumps to my boss sometimes.

Thanks for highlighting it, it does make sense then since "FSD" is cheaper here than in the states, however it just reinforces it being a bad buy.
If they don’t release full self drive features here, then yes it’ll be a bad buy, but if they do, then the price will go up.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormaus
RAV updated as predicted shortly after 6pm....
I think this happens twice a day.
I'm now getting closer to a 25th Aug. delivery date.
My car arrived in PK -- Euphony Ace - on 13/8...
Had it not been for a weekend, maybe the RAV would have been done a day or so earlier.

RAV updated as predicted shortly after 6pm....
I think this happens twice a day.
I'm now getting closer to a 25th Aug. delivery date.
My car arrived in PK -- Euphony Ace - on 13/8...
Had it not been for a weekend, maybe the RAV would have been done a day or so earlier.
I just noticed the RAV for my vehicle as well. It also arrived in PK on the Euphony Ace. No change on EDD or any SMS yet

Reactions: Braz
I doubt that tbh, Australia is a really strict country and they won’t allow it for many years to come. They didn’t allow the Apple Watch to do ecg’s (heart monitoring) in Australia years after it was released in the USA because it could be inaccurate and may have false information according to our doctors. I imagine that our road safety team would be similar.

Also the roads in Australia are different with give way intersections and yeild intersections being different, also programming everything backwards because we drive in the left hand side of the road, this is just scraping the surface

Sorry to destroy your hopes but I imagine Australia will be one of the last countries to accept fsd with how strict we are especially compared to America where they believe in freedom
England also drives on the left and with regards to the intersections and signage, this is what the BETA testers are for. Australia may hold it off for a while but I believe it will eventually get here.

I have both a 3 and a Y ordered, and I'm trying to decide between them.

Speaking as someone who has teenagers to lug around and a couple of big dogs, cargo space is a really big deal!

I much prefer the acceleration and handling of the 3, but honestly, not sure how well it'll hold up with the day to day running around of kids (and sometimes the dogs).

I refuse to pay $$$ for a Y performance, but am quietly hoping they announce the long range Y
Go for the Model Y, I have a Model 3 Unicorn Nov 2021 and have tested the Model Y and also have one on order. if it was my only car I would go for the Y.