Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its awfully quiet here for the last couple of days i guess everyone is like me had enough of the wait and dont give a *sugar* anymore. And everyones mood has changed from excitement to IT IS WHAT IT IS .

This has probably happened to me 3 times now:

1. Hear that more Shanghai RHD cars are being made
2. Get excited and start refreshing the Tesla app hoping for the "Tesla Vision" prompt or a VIN on the website
3. Pray to the Tesla gods that I will be in this batch
4. Get disappointed when I find no VIN and that the cars are either all allocated or are going to Europe / Japan.

Starting to get real stale at this point, so I really need to try and forget about this and distract myself with other things- but it's so damn hard to do!

Welcome to the madhouse!
Thank you!

We ordered a Tesla Model 3 about two weeks ago, and last week decided we'd rather have the Tesla Model 3 Long Range so changed our order :)

Now the order is in I realise I wanted it yesterday... :-D

1661066377445.png

This has probably happened to me 3 times now:

1. Hear that more Shanghai RHD cars are being made
2. Get excited and start refreshing the Tesla app hoping for the "Tesla Vision" prompt or a VIN on the website
3. Pray to the Tesla gods that I will be in this batch
4. Get disappointed when I find no VIN and that the cars are either all allocated or are going to Europe / Japan.

Starting to get real stale at this point, so I really need to try and forget about this and distract myself with other things- but it's so damn hard to do!
Small consolation, but at least Tesla appear to be making inroads into the backlog. For a while there it seemed like the backlog was just going to keep growing, with Shanghai lockdowns and talk of ongoing supplier shortages.

Hang in there. It's a great day when the VIN turns up, then you get to ship guessing and annoyance with waiting outside port and from there it's waiting for pickup message and getting frustrated with that (I'm at this stage and starting to stress about whether we'll get it before going overseas).

Reactions: Polarxp
Thank you!

We ordered a Tesla Model 3 about two weeks ago, and last week decided we'd rather have the Tesla Model 3 Long Range so changed our order :)

Now the order is in I realise I wanted it yesterday... :-D
Im kind of in similar boat to you. Though for me it is getting back on the hamster wheel. I bought my current Tesla Model 3 SR+ 3 years ago. Had the wait back then as I pre-ordered it about 2 years before that. Now since the government is in process of changing the rules with the FBT exclusion I realized that this way I could afford a LR version, so I put the order in about 2 weeks ago. And now the wait begins. Got Feb-May 2023 to wait for, so I keep happily driving my current Model 3 SR+ and will have to sell that before the new one arrives, but dont want to keep too long of a time between selling old and purchasing new. So here is hoping the timing will work out for me :)

the government is in process of changing the rules with the FBT exclusion

I am in exactly the same boat! I'll likely want to try and sell my wife's Mazda 3 as soon as possible, but she will also not be happy if I am over-eager and sell it too long before her Tesla arrives.

One good thing about the wait is that the legislation, if passed, won't come in to effect until January 1st. It will be back-dated of course until July 1st, however that's all extra work and extra payments we'll need to make. February is forever away and I'm obsessed with reading these forums and looking up all things EV, but my sensible brain knows that the car coming in safely after Jan 1st is good timing finance/tax/paperwork wise :)

Also, congrat's on the order!

I had a similar call on Thursday last week for a Friday delivery. They were only flagging a slip from morning to late afternoon pickup for my car but did say that a different transporter had broken down. As it turned out, the truck actually arrived and the car was available as scheduled. The external cleaning on the car was obviously a little rushed but otherwise all sweet.

Bummer about the PPF etc. Where were you booked?
Thanks, I'm booked in at Solar Style. I've never had any work done there but all the reviews seem really good so fingers crossed.

I just get concerned that maybe there was an issue with the car that they were getting fixed (scratched rim, dent, etc). I was a mechanic at a Holden dealership for a few years and know these things happen.
Don't get me wrong if it's something like that than that's fine (I would just be ultra thorough with my inspection) I just want them to be transparent which is not my impression to date.

I'm probably just over reacting which is why I thought that if I could confirm others had received the same call that I could relax 😅

Small consolation, but at least Tesla appear to be making inroads into the backlog. For a while there it seemed like the backlog was just going to keep growing, with Shanghai lockdowns and talk of ongoing supplier shortages.

Hang in there. It's a great day when the VIN turns up, then you get to ship guessing and annoyance with waiting outside port and from there it's waiting for pickup message and getting frustrated with that (I'm at this stage and starting to stress about whether we'll get it before going overseas).
Making inroads? May be for LR and P, definitely not for RWD with only about a month (Jan and some early Feb) orders got cleared in last 5 months... backlog for RWD is definitely growing with every passing month without Vin storm

Reactions: Mal Cartwright
Hello all...dreams do come true. Pick up complete, so happy and in love with my new baby. A quick note, I know you are all still waiting for yours to arrive, just wanted to add that I think the waiting really does make it feel more special. You have slogged through hundreds, maybe thousands of forum posts, Youtube videos, reviews and online accessories shops, but that moment you actually get to see it in the flesh....amazing!

299801774_753414662579151_7213139285568469383_n.jpg

Making inroads? May be for LR and P, definitely not for RWD with only about a month (Jan and some early Feb) orders got cleared in last 5 months... backlog for RWD is definitely growing with every passing month without Vin storm
Before the recent LR & P burst, there were a ton of RWDs. So fair to expect there will be a run on RWDs again. If Tesla sets aside a week for RWD production I expect RWD will overtake LR/P again.

Hello all...dreams do come true. Pick up complete, so happy and in love with my new baby. A quick note, I know you are all still waiting for yours to arrive, just wanted to add that I think the waiting really does make it feel more special. You have slogged through hundreds, maybe thousands of forum posts, Youtube videos, reviews and online accessories shops, but that moment you actually get to see it in the flesh....amazing!

View attachment 843260
Looks great, congratulations Andy. Have fun.

Reactions: HandyAndy888
Maybe backlog isn't the right term. I meant Tesla are starting to get through the overdue cars. I haven't looked in detail, but I'd say the average number of days past initial quoted range must be coming down.

I was too, so had a chat to Joe about what I was wanting to protect the car from.

For me it was general driving stone chips etc. which was front coverage of PPF, also I'm in shopping centres often enough and our Kluger is testimony to others banging doors into our car so side protection. Kids putting bags in the boot scrapping paint etc led to luggage strip. Then looking at the amount of ppf needed and what would be available on the same template if I wanted (so largely paying for application at that point) - back quarter etc

Then making it easy to wash etc which lead to ceramic coating of some sort.

He's great to chat to about this stuff. Even if you dont go with him. Also he has his own Tesla so you know he eats his own dog food so to speak.

What you really want to have front of mind, is why do you want the protection/coating ?
All good reasons and part of why I dither. Well, except for me I don't care about "easy to wash" - I am lazy enough that will be someone else's job, so how easy it is doesn't worry me. :) I would like to make it look extra glossy, but I suspect that's not enough to justify getting over the cost. Looking at the prices, especially the PPF, I think that if there's damage like stone chips, etc, that it would be just better to repaint the panel(s) - when would depend on the degree of damage, etc.

There's also the issue for me that we are aiming for this car to just be a stepping point into EVs (and getting away from ICE) and that we hope to switch to a more versatile vehicle in the future (likely several years away). I doubt that money spent on PPF/ceramic coating, etc is unlikely to be recovered in the sale price when we eventually sell (although I better check that assumption...).

I'll do some more research and we'll have a chat with them about what's worth doing, etc.

View attachment 843260
Congratulations @HandyAndy888 your new baby looks amazing. Just showed my hubby as we also ordered the same, but with white interior. He’s very excited for you and hope we’ll see you around Brissy or the Goldy very soon.🫶🏼

Looking at the prices, especially the PPF, I think that if there's damage like stone chips, etc, that it would be just better to repaint the panel(s) - when would depend on the degree of damage, etc.

I doubt that money spent on PPF/ceramic coating, etc is unlikely to be recovered in the sale price when we eventually sell (although I better check that assumption...).
A good point of view I've heard before too. Personal choices, just dont forget to factor in the botherr arranging and time away from car for the repaint of the panel(s).

And yeah I doubt if you paid $X for PPF/coating that on sale you'd get $X back because its on there. It would be more subtle, the paint hasnt faded in the weather or there are no micro scratches in the paint so it looks 'nicer'.