Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would help is if Tesla introduced a monthly or even quarterly email or social media post detailing backlogs for regions. Something as simple as that will give people an idea on how long the backlog is for order holders.
Problem with that is that it also holds them accountable for managing the backlogs and ensuring they are not terribly uneven comparing region to region....

What would help is if Tesla introduced a monthly or even quarterly email or social media post detailing backlogs for regions. Something as simple as that will give people an idea on how long the backlog is for order holders.
I have thought of this. But no other car company does this really. Like even getting a EDD in our app is better then most car companies.

So serious question, I ordered in only August, so not long ago, and when I ordered, the delivery range (as it is now) said Feb - May 2023. How high should my expectations be that they will meet May at least? That would be about 9 months from order?

I was happy to wait, as all the other cars I was considering had similar delivery windows. But if it's Dec 2023 and I'm still waiting......... That's another story

This comment is highly self complacent. If you start your comment with " You know you are lucky comparing to the third world country", you won't be able to judge anything.

For example if you were treated wrongly in your workplace, your boss could say "You should feel lucky you still have a job, think about the ppl living in the third world country".

Think twice before you post.

Besides I ordered a Tesla, not Toyota or Volkswagen. Corolla or Golf is none of my business. I would only want to compare the Model 3 delivery with the Model Y.
Let's ban the comparison of model 3 to model y order times on this forum. It continues to make zero sense.

Yes they share a lot of parts and if they were unable to produce model 3s because they only had enough material for Ys it would make sense to be upset. But that is not the case. They are pumping out plenty of model 3s, just not for our market given the production schedule.

If they hadn't shipped the first batch of model Ys they wouldn't have magically shipped 3s at that time instead because the 3s were being produced for other markets. So it doesn't impact us in the slightest and not like they took up shipping space that would have otherwise been used for 3s.

In that context the comparison of model 3 to model y is just as relevant as comparing model 3 wait times to Hyundai or Toyota or VW.

Model Y orders have done very little to inconvenience us. Let's just be happy for them.

Let's ban the comparison of model 3 to model y order times on this forum. It continues to make zero sense.

Yes they share a lot of parts and if they were unable to produce model 3s because they only had enough material for Ys it would make sense to be upset. But that is not the case. They are pumping out plenty of model 3s, just not for our market given the production schedule.

If they hadn't shipped the first batch of model Ys they wouldn't have magically shipped 3s at that time instead because the 3s were being produced for other markets. So it doesn't impact us in the slightest and not like they took up shipping space that would have otherwise been used for 3s.

In that context the comparison of model 3 to model y is just as relevant as comparing model 3 wait times to Hyundai or Toyota or VW.

Model Y orders have done very little to inconvenience us. Let's just be happy for them.
Let's also ban the Tesla VS Toyota VS Volkswagen comparison. What did Corolla hybrid and Golf do to our orders? Aren't we only comparing Australian markets? From when do we start comparing to overseas markets too?

I ordered a Model Y and am sincerely happy for any Model y purchasers who have received their car. I just felt it was unfair for Model 3 purchasers (me also).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mal Cartwright
Srsly people just need to calm down - and yeah that's going to trigger a lot of comments but man I've never seen so much whining and carrying on from so many privileged people who can afford a $70k+ vehicle. Go take a trip to a third world country and see how lucky you are and be patient - your car will arrive. I've got friends waiting over 15 months for a new order from Volkswagen and Toyota too - you aren't special in waiting.
I agree, just be patient.
I'm sure Tesla would prefer to fill the backlog too.
The problem isn't Tesla or its Chinese workers, it's that idiot Le Xing Ping's insistence on zero Covid causing the plant and its suppliers all manner of supply and delivery issues.
They'll get here.

Moderators Note: As others have said, discussion of politics on TMC is not allowed. You can make the point that production of Model 3 and Y were affected by Covid lockdowns without opining about whether the policy is good or bad and or express an opinion of a political leader.
p.s His name is Xi Jinping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: scoturner
I agree, just be patient.
I'm sure Tesla would prefer to fill the backlog too.
The problem isn't Tesla or its Chinese workers, it's that idiot Le Xing Ping's insistence on zero Covid causing the plant and its suppliers all manner of supply and delivery issues.
They'll get here.
@Moderator Politics should be off topic.

Last edited:
So serious question, I ordered in only August, so not long ago, and when I ordered, the delivery range (as it is now) said Feb - May 2023. How high should my expectations be that they will meet May at least? That would be about 9 months from order?
Subject to not having another Covid shutdown, I'd say very high.

Indeed the much shorter queues in China suggest they could quickly shorten the delivery period.
Also seemingly getting lots of cancellations as financing is now more expensive with higher interest rates.

Reactions: cafz

I was happy to wait, as all the other cars I was considering had similar delivery windows. But if it's Dec 2023 and I'm still waiting......... That's another story
I'd say you should at least have a 70-80% chance of meeting May delivery.

But, it's Tesla, who knows.

It won't be December 2023. There will be a decent amount of cancellations from customers who ordered a MY and M3 also M3 orders made from June onwards would be a lot lower than before due to the MY going on sale around then.

I ordered also August for my new Model 3. Since the production lines have been upgraded and by the end of the year they should be at the full upgraded capacity and AU market is such a small fraction of their production, I suspect our deliveries and the amounts they produce for us will be more limited by space capacity on the ships.
I have set my expectations for getting mine in following manner:

1. unlikely, but could get lucky to get it in Feb-March 2023 (6-7 month wait from order)
2. most likely get it May-June 2023 (9-10 month wait from order)
3. backup window if things go bad and another shutdown happens Aug-Sept 2023 (12-13 month wait from order)
I do not believe Dec 2023 would be expected even at worse outcomes as that would be 16 month wait.

I do not believe I will be disappointed with my expectations set as such.

I ordered also August for my new Model 3. Since the production lines have been upgraded and by the end of the year they should be at the full upgraded capacity and AU market is such a small fraction of their production, I suspect our deliveries and the amounts they produce for us will be more limited by space capacity on the ships.
I have set my expectations for getting mine in following manner:

1. unlikely, but could get lucky to get it in Feb-March 2023 (6-7 month wait from order)
2. most likely get it May-June 2023 (9-10 month wait from order)
3. backup window if things go bad and another shutdown happens Aug-Sept 2023 (12-13 month wait from order)
I do not believe Dec 2023 would be expected even at worse outcomes as that would be 16 month wait.

I do not believe I will be disappointed with my expectations set as such.
I don't think the wait will be that long Tesla seems to be very conservative now when it comes to EDD. It would take a catastrophic event to not have the car delivered by May

I don't think the wait will be that long Tesla seems to be very conservative now when it comes to EDD. It would take a catastrophic event to not have the car delivered by May
I would not call their EDD-s conservative, considering that people who ordered their cars in early February are still waiting to get VIN assigned and actual delivery date assigned. They have already waited close to 8 months and it takes at least another month of wait once the VIN is assigned if not more. So with the extra manufacturing capacity, they may start cutting down the wait times, but as order numbers have been going up as fast or faster than manufacturing capacity, there is a good chance the waiting times will still remain similar.

Reactions: neilg