Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about possible reasons for the VIN allocations to start with Good Coast, then move on to Sydney.

I have a hunch Tesla have introduced a new method of VIN allocation that’s distributed out to individual Delivery Centres. They’re getting ready to “scale up” to continue to increase volume into the future. Where before, VIN allocation was done centrally, now some aspects of it are distributed out

If I were Tesla HQ and I wanted to ensure everything is working in a new process that involves multiple teams distributed across the country, I’d choose a relatively small team first (e.g. Gold Cost) then move on to something bigger next (Sydney) then proceed on to the rest in a slow-and-steady way.

This could also mean if there are any issues encountered as they roll out the new process, like say Sydney’s team encounter a hitch, the whole roll out could slow down.

On the flip-side for us customers eagerly hitting refresh, the cars themselves seem to already be on ships. The “critical path” would be “getting the car shipped to the right destination” - the admin issue would be just a delay in notifying us it’s been allocated.

This is all just speculation. Any thoughts?

Thinking about possible reasons for the VIN allocations to start with Good Coast, then move on to Sydney.

I have a hunch Tesla have introduced a new method of VIN allocation that’s distributed out to individual Delivery Centres. They’re getting ready to “scale up” to continue to increase volume into the future. Where before, VIN allocation was done centrally, now some aspects of it are distributed out

If I were Tesla HQ and I wanted to ensure everything is working in a new process that involves multiple teams distributed across the country, I’d choose a relatively small team first (e.g. Gold Cost) then move on to something bigger next (Sydney) then proceed on to the rest in a slow-and-steady way.

This could also mean if there are any issues encountered as they roll out the new process, like say Sydney’s team encounter a hitch, the whole roll out could slow down.

On the flip-side for us customers eagerly hitting refresh, the cars themselves seem to already be on ships. The “critical path” would be “getting the car shipped to the right destination” - the admin issue would be just a delay in notifying us it’s been allocated.

Makes sense to me and I guess this must be the new thought process behind the recent allocations.

This also means customers who are not finance ready will have to scramble around to sort it out as they will be left with a 2-3 week window for delivery.

Reactions: mpowney

cancellation re-allocations had to be done locally till now surely, so this makes sense with that regards too to make the process consistent.

I find it so weird they are doing it on location and not in order of OD. Like it would be annoying if Mid March get their cars but something happens and people in Feb haven't got theirs?

I think weird isnt the right word. You find it to be a personal annoyance, but it makes perfect sense for tesla. How are they meant to ship cars australia wide and ensure that every order is filled sequentially? This process is also more efficient, keeping costs lower for us as well.

Reactions: Missimpatient
I think weird isnt the right word. You find it to be a personal annoyance, but it makes perfect sense for tesla. How are they meant to ship cars australia wide and ensure that every order is filled sequentially? This process is also more efficient, keeping costs lower for us as well.
No I think it is weird too. Brand damaging that Tesla advertise so freely the delivery timeframes, which were certainly quoted incorrectly when I ordered. I wouldnt have ordered had I known the delays. Due to these massive delays that should never have got this out of hand, considering the Chinese wait no more than 3 weeks according to reports, they should be doing the distribution in order and sorting things behind the scenes. They should also be honest with delivery timeframes.

Based on the number of model 3s Shanghai has been producing, let's just hope they clear out through to June or something and we are concerned about Feb v March orders
Given the shemozzle that it's been so far, I'm kind of expecting that this little VIN-sprinkle will dry up after Tesla has cleared 3 weeks worth of orders and then they'll move on to other markets or domestic orders again and then we'll all REALLY have NFI what's going on! 😆

It's certainly not what I want to happen. I can't bloody wait for this car to arrive but the last 3 months has been a drawn out comedy/calamity.

No I think it is weird too. Brand damaging that Tesla advertise so freely the delivery timeframes, which were certainly quoted incorrectly when I ordered. I wouldnt have ordered had I known the delays. Due to these massive delays that should never have got this out of hand, considering the Chinese wait no more than 3 weeks according to reports, they should be doing the distribution in order and sorting things behind the scenes. They should also be honest with delivery timeframes.
The delay was due to the lockdown. The lockdown put everything back four months

Agree 100%, I was told not later than July when I ordered yet here we are...

Reactions: Snoopy1 and Draco
You sure about that? Because the LR and P orders from last year were in exactly the same situation that us RWD orders from early this year are in now
Less orders for both of those specs and as they do batch orders it needs to be economically viable. Same thing is impacting MYP they have delayed to get a bigger order book so they have enough orders to run batch of them.

Captain's log: day 255
A strong VINd has been blowing and a number of the crew have come down with Tesla delirium. Symptoms appear to include expectation of an imminent delivery and repeating the mantra "it was worth the wait" incessantly.
The rest of the crew are continuing to hold out hope for a cure, but I'm not holding my breath after the last disappointments.